Old 12-23-2016, 12:20 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 491 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consult20 View Post
Hey Hub, I posted that edited video for another DGCR member to illustrate the far left plant foot position. Simon is very definitely taking it easy on his knee on these throws, but he still generates incredible disc speed. As far as him falling over his plant, i guess I don't see it that way at all.

What do you think of this 600' throw by Will?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOSRDCKh...by=schusterick
He's not falling over his plant - but his momentum shift is a degree more left to right than it should have been. The follow through is one of your best tell tale signs for if you're pushing the right direction in a 1-step or if your x-step is carrying momentum along your trajectory line.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOAe8VXg...l_mcbeth&hl=en

Will's shot was rad!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2016, 12:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,769 Times in 1,710 Posts

Quote:
Hey Hub, I posted that edited video for another DGCR member to illustrate the far left plant foot position. Simon is very definitely taking it easy on his knee on these throws, but he still generates incredible disc speed. As far as him falling over his plant, i guess I don't see it that way at all.

What do you think of this 600' throw by Will?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOSRDCKh...by=schusterick
^ Will is throwing a distance shot way out to a left apex and the footwork matches moving from right - left. There is no drift or sway.

Will throwing a pure hyzer with footwork moving slightly left - right:
Old 12-23-2016, 12:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,769 Times in 1,710 Posts

Simon is OATing his shot in that video, flattening out his hyzer with his body.

Here's some better shots:
Old 12-23-2016, 02:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 29
Niced 329 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post
He's not falling over his plant - but his momentum shift is a degree more left to right than it should have been. The follow through is one of your best tell tale signs for if you're pushing the right direction in a 1-step or if your x-step is carrying momentum along your trajectory line.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOAe8VXg...l_mcbeth&hl=en

Will's shot was rad!
Ok Hub, thanks for clarifying. I know you use the Hudl app, have you ever used the commentary feature? That along with the comparison feature, drawing lines, etc. seems like a good teaching aid for things like this.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:41 PM
*Moderator*

Quote:
Ok Hub, thanks for clarifying. I know you use the Hudl app, have you ever used the commentary feature? That along with the comparison feature, drawing lines, etc. seems like a good teaching aid for things like this.
I have used hudl for a few videos, and it's biggest bonus for me was the ability to A-B to people's forms to show quickly the difference in timing and positioning. It's really a good tool.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:41 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 31
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
If you have a Mac, I recommend (duh!) http://analyzrgolf.com/. :-) "They" have been known to give out discounted copies of the software to amateur disc golf analysts, too.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 30 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
So - I pointed this out when Simon posted it on FB... and it really feels like I'm being jerky, but I'm absolutely not being snarky, I'm trying to give some constructive criticism:

/preamble

Simon is doing in that slow mo, EXACTLY what I've been called out for by SW on numerous occasions: NOT SHIFTING FROM BEHIND.

This is IMO a key concept that Simon didn't have an issue with pre-injury, but on a throw like that I'm guessing he was being cautious with his knee - and so he shifted his weight right to left. That'll reduce some of the power of the shift and as you watch the follow through, carried him past and around his brace.
As a result of the conversation in this thread, I have finally understood what SW was saying in a previous thread where he said I needed to be more "stacked an upright."

For the ENTIRE TIME I've played disc golf I have done that move that Simon does in this video. Over the past couple of days I've worked to correct my footwork and all of the sudden I can run up and throw an understable disc on a hyzer and have it flip late instead of OATing it. Obviously in a couple of days I'm not 100% yet, but man has this made a difference.

DYNAMIC BALANCE.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:18 PM
*Moderator*

Merry Christmas! Form fixes under the tree this year!!!!

Niced: (1)
Old 12-24-2016, 10:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 29
Niced 329 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
If you have a Mac, I recommend (duh!) http://analyzrgolf.com/. :-) "They" have been known to give out discounted copies of the software to amateur disc golf analysts, too.
Thanks for the recommendation but I use Windows laptops, an Apple Ipad, and Android phones. Kind of a mixd bag, just like my dg bag

Old 04-19-2017, 01:28 PM
Par Member

Niced 10 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:

Simon is doing in that slow mo, EXACTLY what I've been called out for by SW on numerous occasions: NOT SHIFTING FROM BEHIND.

This is IMO a key concept that Simon didn't have an issue with pre-injury, but on a throw like that I'm guessing he was being cautious with his knee - and so he shifted his weight right to left. That'll reduce some of the power of the shift and as you watch the follow through, carried him past and around his brace.

The original post he had a couple more throws where he stayed more inline - and was still accurate.
I don't fully understand what you mean by that. Shifting from behind, currently do you mean that runup is from right to left?