Old 10-24-2016, 09:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 241 Times in 124 Posts
Default Kneeling on my disc

Today (in a casual round) my upshot came to rest in an area where I had to putt from my knees to avoid a low-hanging tree branch. I marked my lie with a mini but then, since I was wearing shorts, left my upshot disc where it was and knelt on it as I attempted my putt*.
I figured there was no difference between that and marking my lie and then kneeling on a towel or something (which I'm 99% sure is legal).

Was I correct?

*The putt itself was about a 25-footer where I intentionally deflected it off/through a branch near the basket and in for an incredible (I thought) par save. It was tough to play the next hole with the sore shoulder from patting myself on the back though
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2016, 12:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 505 Times in 233 Posts

Most discs are near 1cm thick, so you'd be OK if yours was less. But if your disc has a bead and/or a pop top, add 2 to your score. The rule (below) doesn't distinguish parts of the object (i.e. flight plate as separate from rim).

Seriously though, even though you placed your marker, kneeling on the previously thrown disc would raise some eyebrows. And it's best to ask your group if the object you want to use is OK.

Quote:
801.03 A
During a round, a player shall not use any artificial device that may directly assist in making a throw, except those devices that reduce or control abrasion to the skin (such as gloves, tape, bandages, or gauze) and medical items (such as knee or ankle braces). Placing an object as a directional aid is not allowed. An item such as a towel or a pad may be placed on the lie as long as it is not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed.

[b]801.03 AC/b]
A player shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if observed at any time during a round to be using an illegal artificial device. A player who repeatedly uses an illegal device may be subject to disqualification in accordance with Section 3.3 of the PDGA Competition Manual.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by teemkey; 10-25-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:56 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 67
Niced 261 Times in 142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
Most discs are near 1cm thick, so you'd be OK if yours was less. But if your disc has a bead and/or a pop top, add 2 to your score. The rule (below) doesn't distinguish parts of the object (i.e. flight plate as separate from rim)..
Most people use the disc upside down, so hardly 1cm thick. Using a disc to reduce abrasion on your knee when throwing is perfectly fine.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:33 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,527 Times in 694 Posts

Yep, no problem placing your knee(s) on the center of disc(s), upside down or right side up, even with a rim height over 3cm.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 61
Niced 232 Times in 130 Posts

Legal.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
Most people use the disc upside down, so hardly 1cm thick. Using a disc to reduce abrasion on your knee when throwing is perfectly fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Yep, no problem placing your knee(s) on the center of disc(s), upside down or right side up, even with a rim height over 3cm.
So you're saying the rule is not correctly written?

801.03 (A) states "An item .... not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed." It does not say "The portion of the item beneath the player's supporting point ... not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed."

Perhaps the RC should reword the rule.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:28 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 31
Niced 338 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Most discs are near 1cm thick, so you'd be OK if yours was less. But if your disc has a bead and/or a pop top, add 2 to your score. The rule (below) doesn't distinguish parts of the object (i.e. flight plate as separate from rim).

Seriously though, even though you placed your marker, kneeling on the previously thrown disc would raise some eyebrows. And it's best to ask your group if the object you want to use is OK.
It's very specific. 1 cm when compressed. Nobody is putting their knee down of the rim of the disc.

for example people use foam pads for the same purpose. The entire pad doesn't have to be 1 cm. Just the spot your knee is on.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:34 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,527 Times in 694 Posts

Quote:
So you're saying the rule is not correctly written?

801.03 (A) states "An item .... not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed." It does not say "The portion of the item beneath the player's supporting point ... not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed."

Perhaps the RC should reword the rule.
The reason "compressed" is used in the rule is there are foam pads, volleyball knee pads and multi-folded towels which are thicker than 3cm when not compressed but are under 3cm when compressed, and may only be thinner than 3cm at the point of contact.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
The reason "compressed" is used in the rule is there are foam pads, volleyball knee pads and multi-folded towels which are thicker than 3cm when not compressed but are under 3cm when compressed, and may only be thinner than 3cm at the point of contact.
I understand.

However, (most) towels and foam pads can be compressed anywhere on its surface, whereas a disc's rim cannot, without extraordinary means. Since the rule uses the word "item," the most literal interpretation is the entire object.

What your interpretation leads to is that players may use any item to kneel on as long as any point of the item can be compressed to less than one centimeter. I'm speculating, but I don't think that's what the RC intended.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,741 Times in 1,702 Posts

Quote:
I understand.

However, (most) towels and foam pads can be compressed anywhere on its surface, whereas a disc's rim cannot, without extraordinary means. Since the rule uses the word "item," the most literal interpretation is the entire object.

What your interpretation leads to is that players may use any item to kneel on as long as the supporting point of the item can be compressed to less than one centimeter. I'm speculating, but I don't think that's what the RC intended.
FTFY.