Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 06-02-2019, 09:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,100 Times in 504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lines View Post
I have been thinking about cycling some DX TBs. Anyone else do it? I'm assuming they cycle faster than a Roc because the rim is thinner. Am I correct? How long till they hit the point of no return? I'm hoping to produce some glide machines.
I would probably keep a champ TB in the bag to have a consistent OS bookend.
DX is more durable than most will give it credit for. As long as you're not Simon drilling the first tree off the tee every hole, a DX TB will be useful for quite awhile.
You should do it.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 06-02-2019, 09:24 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,414 Times in 656 Posts

Quote:
I have been thinking about cycling some DX TBs. Anyone else do it? I'm assuming they cycle faster than a Roc because the rim is thinner. Am I correct? How long till they hit the point of no return? I'm hoping to produce some glide machines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
DX is more durable than most will give it credit for. As long as you're not Simon drilling the first tree off the tee every hole, a DX TB will be useful for quite awhile.
You should do it.
What he said ^^^^

I have a 3 year old DX Teebird, the stamp is almost gone and it's all kinds of chewed up and it's still useful. A Hyzer flip machine with amazing glide and they make great rollers when thrashed.

The only people who seem to give DX a bad rap are torque monkeys and people who hear torque monkeys complain about DX being flippy. AKA, those who have little or no DX experience but pass along bad hearsay info.

One can learn a lot by cycling DX Teebirds; or Rocs, Eagles etc.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:32 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 30
Niced 451 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
What he said ^^^^

I have a 3 year old DX Teebird, the stamp is almost gone and it's all kinds of chewed up and it's still useful. A Hyzer flip machine with amazing glide and they make great rollers when thrashed.

The only people who seem to give DX a bad rap are torque monkeys and people who hear torque monkeys complain about DX being flippy. AKA, those who have little or no DX experience but pass along bad hearsay info.

One can learn a lot by cycling DX Teebirds; or Rocs, Eagles etc.
I trust Zappa fans. Looks Like I'll be buying 4-5 this week.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-02-2019, 11:48 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,921 Times in 1,440 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
You should do it.
I have a DX Teebird that I used for a while. It mellowed into a TL-'ish' flight after a couple of months of very steady use on my home course, but never reached what I would call the point of 'no return'.

Some DX can last a very long time, while other batches seem to wear out much more quickly. My $0.02 on it is the more waxy it feels, the faster its flight will begin changing. I don't like the waxy DX because of grip issues, not flight issues, but if you find the right batch, it can be a very good plastic.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:32 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 85 Times in 61 Posts

It's weird I feel like DX is one of the most versatile as far as grip.....rain, sweat, heat, cold, etc...

Old 06-02-2019, 02:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.3
Courses Played: 95
Niced 664 Times in 262 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

I am starting to go mostly Tbird for driving lately. My best throwers have been DX and the old Ching Tbird.

I'd like to see the style and form of the players who claim their DX disc become unplayable after one season or less. My bet is it's not the disc but their form that's the problem.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:37 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 85 Times in 61 Posts

I had one TB dx that was my most US disc, at 170g. Even my beat up dx stingray wasnt as US. Perfect disc for long turnovers. Cycling TBs, Beasts, and Rivers I am loving.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:54 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 30
Niced 451 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
I am starting to go mostly Tbird for driving lately. My best throwers have been DX and the old Ching Tbird.

I'd like to see the style and form of the players who claim their DX disc become unplayable after one season or less. My bet is it's not the disc but their form that's the problem.
Sell me a ching TB local....
Old 06-02-2019, 07:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.3
Courses Played: 95
Niced 664 Times in 262 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Sell me a ching TB local....
We're not local and I doubt if I had an extra I'd sell it for a price you'd be willing to pay.
Ching Tbird.JPG

Old 06-03-2019, 01:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 16
Niced 154 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
I know this has already been replied to, but I'd like to chime in from my summer of teebird. I used nothing but dx teebirds for drivers. This was a few years ago so runs may differ.

Dx teebirds always seemed to be a gamble. You'd get one in a blue moon that was properly 0 stable, some that were neutralish and most with some flip. They crush, no doubt, and fly unreal far for how straight they are...as long as you can lock that particular teebird in. Cycling rocs was way easier for me because they seemed more consistently true out of the box to their 0 HST rating.

My guess is you'll be left wanting for a perfectly neutral teebird between your dx and champ. Pick up a gstar. They are ****ing amazing out of the box, and even better after a few solid tree whacks. They start at 0/1.5 and beat to -.5/.5

I'm not simon lizotte but i cannot stand shanking a drive and then not knowing how my disc will fly afterward. It's a real problem for confidence, which can seriously impact your game, as well as consistency. In minnesota you have many courses in the woods. 60 mph disc off the tee? Into immediate tree? isn't going to fly the same.

I don't throw hard in the woods like i used to so i don't have that problem much anymore, but you get the idea. Get a gstar. Use a dx to season into hyzerflip/turnovet. Cap with champ/star. Gstar will get so much use it'll eventually replace dx for everything neutral to flippy, i bet.

And there is no point of no return imo. Beat dx teebirds are super useful from standstills and for rollers. Life cycle depends on your armspeed, accuracy and course type.

Last edited by Kodachrome; 06-03-2019 at 01:29 AM.