Old 05-26-2019, 04:55 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Help me reach 300 feet with my putters

Hi all,

Since I have moved to a place where the closest course is 2 hours away, I decided to try to improve my form. My first goal is to break 300 feet with my putters.

I have been out on the field five times the last week, and managed to improve from 230 feet to ~270 feet.

https://youtu.be/m0Ns-le4nFw

One thing I have been trying to improve is the angle of the X-step. I can't manage to step sideways, resulting in an open stance, since my back foot is aiming backwords when i start the pull (If that made any sense). Any tips/drills I can do to improve this?

Do you see any other obvius flaws that I need to improve?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Matsthj; 05-26-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,456 Times in 1,563 Posts

Your left foot step in behind during the X-step is too far. If you pause the side view video when the left foot is on the ground, it is ahead of your body/spine. This is why it turns backward, because it has traveled ahead too far. Also, you then have to wait until your body is in front/inside of the foot before you can leverage your weight forward. So you need a shorter left foot step and to glide forward more so that your body stays over or inside of the foot.

As well your left foot is too wide behind your body...in the rear view of the X-step that is too far to the right of the teepad. Having a shorter left foot stride and gliding with the X-step should help make it easier to keep that foot/leg underneath your body.

Basically your X-step needs to narrow itself distance wise down the teepad, and width wise underneath your body.

I think your backswing is a bit too arm-focused, but getting your X-step more simplified so that you can maintain posture/leverage will help you be able to backswing with more leverage and sequence from the hips first.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-26-2019, 09:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,514 Times in 1,566 Posts

Yeah, also your balance is tilted over your toes to the left too far away from your rear foot and your head is looking down.

You need to move more balanced right over your foot, foot underneath your head so your head is balanced and stacked upright.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 9.48.33 PM.jpg (21.4 KB, 164 views)

Old 05-27-2019, 10:58 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Your left foot step in behind during the X-step is too far. If you pause the side view video when the left foot is on the ground, it is ahead of your body/spine. This is why it turns backward, because it has traveled ahead too far. Also, you then have to wait until your body is in front/inside of the foot before you can leverage your weight forward. So you need a shorter left foot step and to glide forward more so that your body stays over or inside of the foot.

As well your left foot is too wide behind your body...in the rear view of the X-step that is too far to the right of the teepad. Having a shorter left foot stride and gliding with the X-step should help make it easier to keep that foot/leg underneath your body.

Basically your X-step needs to narrow itself distance wise down the teepad, and width wise underneath your body.

I think your backswing is a bit too arm-focused, but getting your X-step more simplified so that you can maintain posture/leverage will help you be able to backswing with more leverage and sequence from the hips first.
Thanks a lot for the feedback! Makes a lot of sense. I now have specific things to work the next time im out on the field.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:11 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Yeah, also your balance is tilted over your toes to the left too far away from your rear foot and your head is looking down.

You need to move more balanced right over your foot, foot underneath your head so your head is balanced and stacked upright.

Thanks a lot! I actually thought that I was more balanced than really am. I will try to work on the drill and see if I can improve.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:18 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Another frustrating week where my timing was messed up after i tried to work on the tips you gave me. I have Been working on the butt wipe drill at home, and i can feel the «power» when doing the drill. I can’t Get the same feeling when i am out throwing on the field.

I have also slowed down, reduce the length on my x-step, and «glide» down the teepad.

I feel more balanced but does not gain more distance.

Does it look any better?
Old 06-04-2019, 06:08 PM
* Ace Member *

You're not quite balanced over the plant foot entirely. Your right shoulder is getting blocked by the brace, and jammed upward. And it is not rotating around the spine cleanly, which pushes your left shoulder out to the left.

Whereas you can see how Simon's body is way more centered over the brace foot as he plants, his shoulders trade places through the throw around his balanced spine, and his shoulder plane remains the same.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shoulder Braced.jpg (92.4 KB, 103 views)
Old 06-06-2019, 05:23 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
You're not quite balanced over the plant foot entirely. Your right shoulder is getting blocked by the brace, and jammed upward. And it is not rotating around the spine cleanly, which pushes your left shoulder out to the left.

Whereas you can see how Simon's body is way more centered over the brace foot as he plants, his shoulders trade places through the throw around his balanced spine, and his shoulder plane remains the same.

Thanks for the feedback. I understand the concept, but have not managed to replicate it while throwing. Do you have any tips/drills that could help me with this issue?
Old 06-06-2019, 06:25 PM
* Ace Member *

I would do some standstill or one leg shots, starting by making sure you're balanced over the front leg before you start the backswing. Then if you're doing a standstill shot, try not to reposition the front leg too much farther forward during the backswing/as you plant...make sure you get all the way over the plant leg again.

Basically if you can't feel this in a standstill then it'll just get amplified during an X-step. The problem though is that the issue is more minor in a standstill so it can be harder to spot/feel if you're just slightly off if you don't know what to look or aim for.

Old 07-04-2019, 03:30 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been trying to work on not getting my shoulder jammed upwards and the butt wipe drill for the last week (I still have a way to go, but it is starting to feel better).

I am throwing furter from a standstill than i used to do when I there with the x-step. I will contineue to work on the same elements. Is it something else I should focus on at the same time?