Old 06-10-2019, 06:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 681 Times in 277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryTuffskins View Post
Eagle McMahon made some really nice shots with the Instinct at the Beaver State Fling.
It definitely handles power. He throws so hard. I throw the CD2 on those lines. I can’t see how it would fit into my bag personally.

Meanwhile he throws a first run PD 500 feet dead straight. Crazy.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2019, 09:54 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 292 Times in 167 Posts

I’d pay to watch Eagle throw a couple Instincts side by side with a couple Teebirds, Explorers, and Rivals.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-11-2019, 12:04 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 12
Niced 798 Times in 433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post

Meanwhile he throws a first run PD 500 feet dead straight. Crazy.
Is it the red huk stamp disc he's throwing at the BSF?
Old 06-11-2019, 12:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 35
Niced 164 Times in 62 Posts

Yes.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 881 Times in 507 Posts

OT but that 81mph he throw was an absolute " perfect hit" . . totaly perfect form on that throw, SO effortless and insanely fast throw
Old 06-11-2019, 08:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 49
Niced 458 Times in 310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
OT but that 81mph he throw was an absolute " perfect hit" . . totaly perfect form on that throw, SO effortless and insanely fast throw
Then a 86 mph PD2 roller... Just stupid. So, for me, watching Igor McManaman throw an Instinct doesn't tell me one damn thing about how it will fly for me.

However, I was able to grab an Instinct at a local shop and it is a great disc. The flight reminds me of the KJ Teebirds. A slightly more OS Teebird/FAF CG Eagle flight. However, the wing just felt strange to me. It is narrow, has a fairly blunt shoulder, but the bottom of the wing just didn't seem to settle in my hand that well... Luckily, that type of hand-feel is entirely personal, so the flight is really what makes this stand out and it's a fantastic glidey laserbeam of a disc with a decently strong finish. This is the exact shot that I use my fresh flat/firm Color Glow Eagles for - dead straight with no worry of turning over, and a fairly aggressive finish. However, the Instinct beats the Eagle on glide every time. If I can get used to the feel, I can see this easily kicking Eagles from my bag.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-12-2019, 07:46 PM

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 89
Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Well this has me interested even though half of my bag is variations of straight to fade.

How wind resistant are they? What speed would you call them?

I love how consistent the Thunderbird is in all conditions, but I can throw neutral speed 7 fairways 30-40' farther than them on normal throws. Thunderbirds absorb power and wind so well, but they don't go all that far for me. Great disc on the course though.
Mine are nothing close to what I'd call seasoned yet, but I've thrown them into pretty significant headwinds (~20 mph) without seeing any noticeable turn. They just kind of hold the line. I will say that on a few throws into that headwind where I left them a little nose up, they reacted very quickly into a lift & stall. Possibly an effect of the significant glide. But clean lines showed great wind resistance. YMMV, especially depending on arm speed. I was at BSF and saw Eagle smashing them on fairly steep hyzer flips that would drift some to the right before the fade, but he was also throwing them 70+ mph into occasional headwind.

As for the speed, the rim feels like a true speed 7 rim. They feel very much like a teebird/explorer in the hand. I'd also say they fly very speed 7ish in that the power required to get the straight to fade flight is significantly less than say, a thunderbird or PD. The glide just allows them to carry.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-12-2019, 08:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,447 Times in 1,560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnleyroad View Post
I'd also say they fly very speed 7ish in that the power required to get the straight to fade flight is significantly less than say, a thunderbird or PD. The glide just allows them to carry.
Cool, this is the part of speed 7ish fairways that I really like. I bag the 9ish stuff for wind and fade reasons, but I really enjoy throwing speed 7's more.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 881 Times in 507 Posts

Need to try this disc, i relly like the 17mm Rim size, many of the 9-speed disc has a rim size very close to a driver.

Only problem is to find a nice 17mm stable to OS disc. . i have tryed the Teebird, Explorer, and FD2, the first two has a super sharp underside of the Rim. . hate that. . and the FD2 was not really that stable.

Need to try the Instinct, the new FD2 and maybe a Rival

Old 06-13-2019, 01:38 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 634 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
Need to try this disc, i relly like the 17mm Rim size, many of the 9-speed disc has a rim size very close to a driver.

Only problem is to find a nice 17mm stable to OS disc. . i have tryed the Teebird, Explorer, and FD2, the first two has a super sharp underside of the Rim. . hate that. . and the FD2 was not really that stable.

Need to try the Instinct, the new FD2 and maybe a Rival
Yeah the 9 speed according to older brands like Innova and Discraft label a disc 9 speed a driver anyhow as they have the speed. I think that 9-10 speed if I made a company would be called control drivers as they are too fast for fairway and 11+ would be distance drivers The 8 speed discs would not be made as most of the discs are a redundancy of the 9 speed discs if they have the exact numbers from the same brand or company of brands.