Old 06-12-2019, 12:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,458 Times in 1,563 Posts

Yeah I wouldn't worry about the rounding specifically...it looks pretty in line with what swing arc I would expect for your current balance being from the rear leg/far back. Work on the shift from behind and being on top of the front leg and you'll see the swing arc look better naturally if you keep the same arm feel you have....I bet it'll look better than my wavy swing path instantly if you get forward more
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2019, 12:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parbequeue View Post
I think this is what I’m going to focus on. Getting in that position. More athletic. This is the same position as in OLD right?

SP, does this shift look better? I kind of forgot how to shift a few days after. I think I got it back now.
Yes I would recommend OLD.

Not quite there yet in those throws...and it starts in the backswing. You can see the head/upper body turning back ahead of the lower body. If your backswing is out of sequence then you're fighting to get to the right position to start the forward swing. Make sure you feel how to balance on the the left leg/hip for the backswing and turn back together....not just get the disc far away from your chest/upper body. Plus if you turn back in balance and in leverage, it will put your butt closer to the target and your plant leg, so you can just fall/drop/land down on the plant leg and that'll be your shift from behind automatically.

Basically if you start any part of the throw out of sequence it makes the rest of the throw SO hard to do...unless you have a perfect hit point and just "know" how to get there. But I would argue that's a far less consistent way to throw.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:23 PM
Par Member

Niced 12 Times in 11 Posts

I bet it’s because I stopped following the disc with my eyes that’s throwing off the timing. It’s so hard to concentrate on all the aspects ! But im preaching to the wrong choir haha. That and the sometimes early backswing not on the left leg enough.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:32 AM

Years Playing: 25.2
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
You are pumping too late or out of sequence and not planting in dynamic upright on the front foot. Your front shoulder isn't swinging forward enough over the knee/toes(left teepad side / athletic forward tilted balance) and releasing everything out forward to target, your shoulder is going rotationally around behind your front heel and swing releasing to the right.

You are taking too many steps.

1. Start with feet together and relaxed natural stance lateral to target, and your arm/disc held straight out to target away from you so upper arm should be like 160 degrees wide from shoulders that are basically inline to target.

2. Keep arm/disc held wide out to target as your right foot strides laterally forward from feet together. Foot should be like around 30-45 degrees open from perpendicular.

3. Keep arm/disc held wide out to target as your left foot crosses behind and toward the right tee side slightly(out of the way of right foot to stride straight thru forward) and foot and butt starts turning away. Rear foot should be like 30-45 degrees away from perpendicular so your feet are like 60-90 degrees open from each other.

4. Start backswing as you land on the left foot and start striding right foot straight into plant. Your feet need to stride underneath you like landing from a fall/dunk. You are striding them out away from you and landing awkwardly.
This helped me start to get my swing timing/sequence more consistent. I had my best round, for distance, when I tried this. I still have many other issues, but this made sense and was easier to put into practice.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:52 PM
Par Member

It is a game changer when the timing works out. I had great success with the feldy style pump. My issue comes with not watching the disc during the swings, and therefore the upper and lower body timing gets out of whack. Combine that with an early backswing (not balanced on the left foot ) and I believe this is my problem. I’ve only just figured out the weight shift from behind though so that will take some ingraining.

I’m also struggling with this collapsing frame, I’m either too upright or too bent over. I gotta watch power of posture again!
Old 06-13-2019, 05:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Combine that with an early backswing (not balanced on the left foot ) and I believe this is my problem. I’ve only just figured out the weight shift from behind though so that will take some ingraining.
It might be hard to think about to an extent, but if you're doing the standstill throw or a standstill pendulum back and forth continually, the backswing is also a shift from behind onto the left leg, moving the other direction. This leverages your arm into the backswing and will help you land on your left leg in balance. Then the left leg will clear the butt away from the left leg, making it closer to the right leg so that you can land on the right leg from behind for the forward swing.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:50 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
It might be hard to think about to an extent, but if you're doing the standstill throw or a standstill pendulum back and forth continually, the backswing is also a shift from behind onto the left leg, moving the other direction. This leverages your arm into the backswing and will help you land on your left leg in balance. Then the left leg will clear the butt away from the left leg, making it closer to the right leg so that you can land on the right leg from behind for the forward swing.

Holy moly that just makes things WAY easier to interpret! I had never thought that I needed to shift to the rear just the same as I need to shift to the front (SW most likely told me this 100 times and I didn’t understand correctly). But how does this translate to an x-step? I was reading some of your threads today SP Thankyou for your insights.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
But how does this translate to an x-step? I was reading some of your threads today SP Thankyou for your insights.
If you stay inside of your rear foot's instep in the X-step, you can then turn back in balance over the rear leg. This will get your butt pushing toward the target like in the butt wipe drill. The drills are all just different snippets of the throw that overlap.

Basically I would feel how to leverage your backswing in a standstill or rocking back and forth feel...lifting the feet off the ground if it feels natural, just not needing to think about it. If you can feel it in standstill, then you will feel if you lose that in an X-step.

The biggest difference is in a standstill in the backswing you have to redirect your momentum toward the target, so it feels way more extreme/intentional. In an X-step you are already going targetward so it's more of a leveraged turning away. But the sequence and balance should feel similar, you'll know if you lose that.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:47 PM
Par Member

Gotcha SP. when I do this in a one step/standstill I really feel connected to the ground. When I go to shift forwards I feel a great force wanting to uncoil and move forward. I think this is right anway. As I shift into the backswing I feel that leverage on my rear instep, I then shift forwards (from behind) and the disc is bought to my chest! I weirdly find this move easier when trying it in an x step. BUT feel less of a shifting power. So can you drive off your instep to shift quicker?

Old 06-13-2019, 09:57 PM
* Ace Member *

I also feel less connection to the ground in the X-step, like you kind of float over the rear foot more but you HAVE to move forward and keep going. I think that's normal, what you're saying all makes sense. I would say to go with that feeling and then video it next time to see what's up.

Don't overdo a rear leg drive, see how it works out dropping to the plant and how your back foot releases from the ground, how the rear knee/femur move, etc. I bet driving more specifically from the rear instep can gain more power, but having clean/pure leverage from the ground so it feels like you're walking off of your left foot is important I think. Better to have the leverage clean then improve it a bit, than try to get too much of a good thing initially.