Old 06-10-2019, 05:52 PM

Courses Played: 6
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Live Scoring

What is the best app or software or site for live scoring a c tier event? I know of Udisc, PDGA, and Metrix, just not too familiar with them. I want to make it easy as possible for players to enter their scores. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2019, 07:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 149
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,116 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Island View Post
What is the best app or software or site for live scoring a c tier event? I know of Udisc, PDGA, and Metrix, just not too familiar with them. I want to make it easy as possible for players to enter their scores. Thanks.
As far as I know, to do live tournament scoring with Udisc, you have to pay them for it (I've heard ~$1000 for a tournament). PDGA live scoring is free and simple to set up and implement, and requires no downloading an app. I've used it at my PDGAs for the last couple years. I have instructions that fit on a business card that I print out and send out with the scorecards at the start of each round.

All the player needs is the address to put in the browser (always pdga.com/score) and the unique tournament code that you as the TD create (so it can be something easy to remember). Once the player is at the site and has entered the code, they just choose the division and the players in their group and start entering scores.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-10-2019, 08:07 PM

Courses Played: 6
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

You make that sound very easy. This has been very helpful. Thank you.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.1
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 267 Times in 130 Posts

PDGALive is great. It's quick and easy to set up in Tournament Manager before each round. It automatically links on the results page and is stored there forever (as far as I can tell). There's really no reason not to do it. It's fast, it's easy, it uses extremely little data, and if you do it carefully it'll help verify your scores for you. The only danger is when people rely on the live scoring Total Score instead of doing the math themselves. It's easy to mistype an individual hole score, so if you just blindly copy the total from PDGALive onto your paper scorecard, you run the risk of screwing up.
I mention it in the players meeting and always state that it's strictly voluntary. Awesome if you do it, no problem if you don't. My last few tournaments have had almost 100% participation (except that damn MA60 division). Also it might be worth noting that Live Scoring is not official -- you will still be counting the paper scorecard for the official score.

I print out a bunch of slips of paper and fold them onto the scorecard (hell, print them on the back of the scorecard if you're feeling fancy) that say:

We are asking for a player on each card to volunteer to enter scores for PDGA live scoring. If someone on your card is willing to enter scores, please follow these instructions:
- Navigate to pdga.com/score
- Access code is XXXXXX
- Select your division, round #, and names of the players on your card
- BE SURE TO START SCORING ON THE CORRECT HOLE
- Enter each player’s score on each hole
Old 06-17-2019, 06:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.1
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,946 Times in 1,332 Posts

Though PDGA live scoring isn't official, couldn't you use it as a quick check of the scorecards?

If the totals on the live scoring and scorecard agree, it seems almost certain that the scorecard is correct. What are the odds that someone did a math error on the scorecard, and a hole entry error on the live scoring, that exactly match?
Old 06-17-2019, 08:26 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 67
Niced 228 Times in 123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Though PDGA live scoring isn't official, couldn't you use it as a quick check of the scorecards?

If the totals on the live scoring and scorecard agree, it seems almost certain that the scorecard is correct. What are the odds that someone did a math error on the scorecard, and a hole entry error on the live scoring, that exactly match?
The same odds that someone just copies the total from live scoring and puts it on the paper scorecard without doing the math.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.1
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,946 Times in 1,332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
The same odds that someone just copies the total from live scoring and puts it on the paper scorecard without doing the math.
Good point. My post was pre-caffeine, and I withdraw it.