Old 06-14-2019, 04:27 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 261
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 75 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutrbug View Post
That's all I care about right now, anyway. The harder I throw, the worse my aim gets. This way I could add power slowly and still stop to correct grip or my feet.
I am not sure what your approach is to drives, but if you are running up on your drives, you are going to have some accuracy issues. I might recommend, if you are already not doing so, to stand still to throw.
Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2019, 09:39 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 630 Times in 542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_a_miller View Post
I am not sure what your approach is to drives, but if you are running up on your drives, you are going to have some accuracy issues. I might recommend, if you are already not doing so, to stand still to throw.
And on here there are some good threads for driving tips when ready for that, just do not get too analytical on the Drive or fairway drive or could drive yourself nuts trying to figure it out if you try to do every detail to an exact perfection.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:45 PM

Years Playing: 0.2
Courses Played: 6
Niced 18 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
And on here there are some good threads for driving tips when ready for that, just do not get too analytical on the Drive or fairway drive or could drive yourself nuts trying to figure it out if you try to do every detail to an exact perfection.
Yes - I am definitely not trying to do the over-analytical bit. That's my personality, so I'm fighting it! In fact, I still can't really tell much of the difference between my 150 Aviar and my 162/3/4 Aviars. Instead of worrying about it, I'm just throwing all 4 of them and looking for differences.

In fact, my wife is just starting to play, and 3 or 4 kids in my social circle. I'm showing them what I know, but I definitely don't want to be one of those people being talking about in the "Things noobs say" thread! There's a difference in sharing what I saw on Youtube and acting like I've known this forever.

And I have been running up a little bit - not so much for trying to add power, as much as it is just trying to copy what I see on Youtube about doing the X-step. It doesn't help much. I got a Judge and a Deputy used, and I was throwing them this weekend on a long straight stretch at my parents' house along with my Aviars. For fun, I would throw my Leopard and Maverick drivers too, just to see the difference. They would fly much higher and curve much more - but they would land within 5' of my putters most of the time. That tells me that the putters are just fine. I'll definitely go back to trying this standing still and see how that helps. I appreciate all of the input.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-18-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Yes - I am definitely not trying to do the over-analytical bit. That's my personality, so I'm fighting it! In fact, I still can't really tell much of the difference between my 150 Aviar and my 162/3/4 Aviars. Instead of worrying about it, I'm just throwing all 4 of them and looking for differences.

In fact, my wife is just starting to play, and 3 or 4 kids in my social circle. I'm showing them what I know, but I definitely don't want to be one of those people being talking about in the "Things noobs say" thread! There's a difference in sharing what I saw on Youtube and acting like I've known this forever.

And I have been running up a little bit - not so much for trying to add power, as much as it is just trying to copy what I see on Youtube about doing the X-step. It doesn't help much. I got a Judge and a Deputy used, and I was throwing them this weekend on a long straight stretch at my parents' house along with my Aviars. For fun, I would throw my Leopard and Maverick drivers too, just to see the difference. They would fly much higher and curve much more - but they would land within 5' of my putters most of the time. That tells me that the putters are just fine. I'll definitely go back to trying this standing still and see how that helps. I appreciate all of the input.
I would Recommend for Putting putters to be heavier in weight at least over 165 grams, better at 170 grams or over. Even when I started in last weekend of July 2003 with a 170 gram Rubber Putter (Lighting disc owned by Gotta Go Gotta throw now) from an uncle after loosing a 169 gram DX Stingray in water a week after that was given to me as well. Some people though can use under 165 grams for putting.

I got other discs in old stiff DX (now closest is XT plastic) a year later that were my discs I used for a few years until late 2005 when Discs finally got sold in my town. Odd since a true disc golf course in my area Pierre (pronounced Pier) South Dakota was established in mid 2003 so few people could try out discs to know what they wanted for a set of discs, info online was hard to come by about discs.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 5
Niced 675 Times in 475 Posts

Quote:
I have been running up a little bit - not so much for trying to add power, as much as it is just trying to copy what I see on Youtube about doing the X-step. It doesn't help much. I got a Judge and a Deputy used, and I was throwing them this weekend on a long straight stretch at my parents' house along with my Aviars. For fun, I would throw my Leopard and Maverick drivers too, just to see the difference. They would fly much higher and curve much more - but they would land within 5' of my putters most of the time. That tells me that the putters are just fine. I'll definitely go back to trying this standing still and see how that helps. I appreciate all of the input.
Standstill throws is fairly good advice, you do need a rocking motion back then forwards when you throw... and leave yourself a step in front of the teepad for a follow through.

FWIW I really like a SLOW motion x step.. It is by no means a run up more like a turtle doing an x step. The biggest mistake people make is throwing too soon before they plant their front foot and before they shift their weight over top of the lead leg.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
Standstill throws is fairly good advice, you do need a rocking motion back then forwards when you throw... and leave yourself a step in front of the teepad for a follow through.

FWIW I really like a SLOW motion x step.. It is by no means a run up more like a turtle doing an x step. The biggest mistake people make is throwing too soon before they plant their front foot and before they shift their weight over top of the lead leg.
Yeah I second. I went too fast on a hole for one my local courses the in town one and ended with too much power for a R-DX Dragon a 150 gram disc on a potential water hole, drainage ditch so the disc went to the right over a paved path and into the fairway of hole 15 or 16. I even did the small forward hop I normally do on a mega power throw.