Old 06-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 393 Times in 217 Posts

Alan Francis is the Ken Climo of horseshoes. The video below has a lot of shots of him doing his thing. All the top horseshoe guys throw left foot forward. I don't think it would take much for Francis to convert his horseshoe form to disc putting.

Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 06-16-2019, 10:55 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 145 Times in 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
Alan Francis is the Ken Climo of horseshoes. The video below has a lot of shots of him doing his thing. All the top horseshoe guys throw left foot forward. I don't think it would take much for Francis to convert his horseshoe form to disc putting.

It's funny you mention this, I actually played around with a horseshoe style throw a bit.

I was playing horseshoes one day and realized that if the stake was a disc golf basket I would be able to hit it almost every time with a shoe. I'm not pro or anything, but even a recreational horseshoe player is probably getting within a basket size of the stake with almost every throw.

The idea was to step forward to the marker with my left foot, and release the disc exactly as I would a horseshoe. I was hoping it would fly like a push putt. The problem was with using the exact toss as a horse shoe, I wasn't able to get the disc to actually fly, it would just tumble through the air. I toyed around with different release and toss methods, both backhand and forehand. The problem was in order to get the disc to fly properly, I had to alter the toss motion too much for it to be effective. I could get the disc to fly, but I lost all of the accuracy benefits of the horseshoe toss. I eventually decided a more traditional push putt was more effective.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 112 Times in 71 Posts

Quote:
When I began playing this game, I threw everything underhand. To get a disc to fly, that's more akin to bowling than horsehoes. And it didn't work well for putting.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 23
Niced 375 Times in 212 Posts

It does seem to be about getting the disc to fly. The left foot forward makes a lot of sense from the leverage and throwing standpoint. The last time I played cornhole (not a regular occurrence for me) I tried mimicking a putt. Was mediocre at best and not as consistent as the left foot forward horseshoe or bowling style.

DG putting is effing weird
Old 06-17-2019, 01:58 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 635 Times in 546 Posts

I agee. I have tride the opposite foot to throwing hand stance and that seems to work for from the chest Spin putts where the moves do not seem to be affected by the foot placement as much just that a foot is forward if need be. In bowling I am better with same hand and foot as I use the leg as a guide for the arm. Opposite I tend to slip more in the bowl.

The Closest sport to Disc Golf are Darts/Baseball in terms of foot forward being the same as the throwing hand most of the time. In fact I have taken a Darts stance to disc golf with modification by having front foot same as throwing hand facing the pole but with the back foot in line with the other shoulder for more stability then a true Darts stance as I am further away when Disc Golf putting then a Darts throw line is 90% of the time.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:50 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 62
Niced 99 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:

That is how you should throw forehands, yes.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 393 Times in 217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
That is how you should throw forehands, yes.
You throw a RHFH with clockwise spin? You should never teach someone forehand...
Old 06-23-2019, 06:13 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 62
Niced 99 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
You throw a RHFH with clockwise spin? You should never teach someone forehand...
I throw a baseball with any spin I choose.

Honestly, I didn't see that there was lateral spin.

Niced: (1)

Old 06-23-2019, 07:08 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 635 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Dan Ensor was referring to not the hands, as in horseshoes a disc is not used but a sport specific horse shoe was used with almost no spin. So you have him talking about forehand putts where either foot can be used and the right foot is not always an option with that type of scramble putt.