Old 02-19-2019, 02:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 458 Times in 296 Posts
Default Glidey, skippy, OS drivers

Hey guys, anyone watch that Thai tourney filmed by CCDG? Nikko was on lead card here and there throwing his signature flex forehand with some kind of fast, overstable driver with a big bold stamp or dye on it. https://youtu.be/I_w0DHpRjiE?t=7m55s EDIT: the disc hits a late tree but you'd anticipate a healthy skip, which is what I'm looking for.

What are some good options for a fast (about speed 11-12), glidey distance driver for big forehand flex shots? I'm thinking something like:

12 / 4 to 5 / -1 to 0 / 3 to 4

The glide here I think is a big deal, as I am not interested in throwing a brick, but rather something that slices through a wooded fairway on a tight, low, but long flex line with a flare skip that glides around corners. You know, the Nikko flex.

Off the top of my head, a Force or Destroyer deserve consideration. Note that I find the Wraith wing to be extremely comfortable for FH due to the mellow curve, and would prefer a similar feel as opposed to the extremely concave and sharp feeling on say, a Criminal.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2019, 02:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 642 Times in 506 Posts

XCal is the first thing that comes to mind here. You need some armspeed to flex out an XCal forehand, but it will definitely skip a lot.

Destroyer would be the obvious answer if the XCal is a bit too beefy.

If you want to go a tick faster, take a look at the lucid Defender.

Last edited by Twmccoy; 02-19-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,453 Times in 1,561 Posts

Yeah, Force and Destroyer are exactly what I would think of too. Domey Destroyer but not an insane OS one that flies like a brick. He is getting over on that shot but also not really trying to cut roll something insane like a Nuke OS...he's putting it on that angle and knowing it will glide and fight out eventually.

If you like the Wraith wing, the Destroyer feels exactly the same to me but 1mm wider. I think that's the obvious choice, depending on you being able to match one of the snowflakes of stability of Destroyers to your arm speed heh

I do love FH'ing the Destroyer...beat ones for hyzer flips and big distance, OS ones for hyzers/wind and flex shots like that video.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:29 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,910 Times in 1,432 Posts

Generally, Trilogy molds have more glide than their non-Trilogy counterparts. So look at the Enforcer, Defender, Cutlass, with the Sheriff, Trespass, and Flow being less OS but very glidey. Premium plastics such as Lucid/Opto will skip more/better for you.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-19-2019, 02:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,453 Times in 1,561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Generally, Trilogy molds have more glide than their non-Trilogy counterparts. So look at the Enforcer, Defender, Cutlass, with the Sheriff, Trespass, and Flow being less OS but very glidey. Premium plastics such as Lucid/Opto will skip more/better for you.
Defender is a really good suggestion. Lots of fade, lots of glide for how stable it is. It's in that range of Destroyer I would want for this shot.

How far/hard do you throw FH's? That changes my plastic recommendation for the Defender. In Bio they beat in, but will do this shot quite well/easily. If you throw FH over 375' then I'd consider a more stable plastic for this line.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 458 Times in 296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Defender is a really good suggestion. Lots of fade, lots of glide for how stable it is. It's in that range of Destroyer I would want for this shot.

How far/hard do you throw FH's? That changes my plastic recommendation for the Defender. In Bio they beat in, but will do this shot quite well/easily. If you throw FH over 375' then I'd consider a more stable plastic for this line.
I throw FH with more finesse than power. This shot would be for carving lines on wooded fairways less than 300' - I guess my bit about "long flex shots" was a misnomer.

Defender looks legit, glidey, and comfy for FH. Would not mind checking out bio or lucid.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 530 Times in 392 Posts

Mid-grade plastic STILETTO ! I just like it haha idk if its what will work for you, but I like the stiletto a lot and in goldline it may have more workability and glide

to me the Stiletto is 13/4/0/4 but beat in its more 13/4/-0.5/3 (with a good skip still)

So I think a 166-172g GOLDLINE would actually be pretty darn awesome - just sayin' worth looking into it

Last edited by ThomasOrion; 02-19-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 892 Times in 510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
I throw FH with more finesse than power. This shot would be for carving lines on wooded fairways less than 300' - I guess my bit about "long flex shots" was a misnomer.

Defender looks legit, glidey, and comfy for FH. Would not mind checking out bio or lucid.

If you are throwing finesse instead of power, take the speed down.

The Banzai has mad glide for the amount of stability it has.

Max weight Eclipse Volts, assuming your forehand produces good spin, can get some wonderful flex lines.

If you really want a Destroyer class disc, look at an Outlaw. They tend to mold up with more glide than a Destroyer.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:47 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 74 Times in 50 Posts

I'm going to guess Nikko is throwing a Spirit. My Spirits that have a slight even dome are probably 12/4/0/4. I'm not sure what the new runs are like.
The Spirit is probably a deal breaker due to its very concaved wing.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 892 Times in 510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechamp View Post
I'm going to guess Nikko is throwing a Spirit. My Spirits that have a slight even dome are probably 12/4/0/4. I'm not sure what the new runs are like.
The Spirit is probably a deal breaker due to its very concaved wing.
Yeah, but one has to have some mad power to get them to flex out instead of dumping out. Good glide, but from my limited experience, also a high cruise speed.

Great disc for overhands though.