Old 08-08-2014, 04:49 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 16 Times in 6 Posts

Maybe I missed something... Are people having a problem with XXXs flipping on them?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2014, 05:27 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
I'm with you here. The XXX is just too flippy/glidey for me.
I have to admit that we have a bit different reasons not to like the XXX.

For me the XXX, Verdict and Harp are stable enough, but with the XXX the grip and feel are just off.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:55 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 6
Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpaljesus View Post
Maybe I missed something... Are people having a problem with XXXs flipping on them?
I was thinking the same thing.

I'm suspecting that Chris got a dud of a XXX.

The Opto XXX I throw is every bit as stable as a Champ Firebird, even after a couple seasons of tree hits. It's got a hard fade at the end and I don't really see much glide either.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 142
Niced 215 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpaljesus View Post
Not a problem with it. But the fact is that it isn't as overstable as a flat Ch Glo Firebird. Those things just came out of your disc with absolutely no action forehand or backhand, you never worried about them flying too far ever because even if you ripped them - they just dropped out of the sky fading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTdisc View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

I'm suspecting that Chris got a dud of a XXX.

The Opto XXX I throw is every bit as stable as a Champ Firebird, even after a couple seasons of tree hits. It's got a hard fade at the end and I don't really see much glide either.
Trust me - not an issue with regard to a single dud. I've probably had about five or six of them over the past year and a half, and I have about five of them right now including the one that is my current thrower and backups. I like the disc a lot, but it just glides too much for my taste.

Keep in mind I've got pretty easy 500 foot backhand power / 400 forehand power on straight line distance, I've got a broad wingspan and generate a ton of power through my legs. My releases are clean and I don't throw with off-axis so that isn't an issue. Balance and form are key to my game. But I also throw everything hard. Absolutely everything. I like to take the most overstable stuff I can find and rip it hard, as opposed to throwing touch shots. If I want a shorter shot - I club down to something with less glide and let it fall out of the sky earlier. So the more overstable the better. And for me there's a noticeable difference between a flat champ glo firebird and a disc like an opto XXX.

This isn't meant to be any criticism of my sponsors, it is just to say that there is one hole they haven't filled just yet in the lineup. That takes time. And the number of buyers out there for a disc that no one can turnover is just such a limited group that I can't expect them to try to fill that hole before the others.

Last edited by ChrisWoj; 08-08-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:25 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 16 Times in 6 Posts

I see what you're saying man. You're just looking for that crazy ass beef haha. I get it. Wasn't calling you a torque-monkey. I was just baffled cuz the xxx was one of the most OS discs I've thrown. Never thrown the FAF FBs though.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:58 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

So is the disc gonna be a blatant rip off of the firebird or flick?
Old 08-14-2014, 06:04 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaques View Post
I don't know what it is then, but for one reason or another the XXX feels much "glumsier" / "more blunt" than the FB based on the few times I've thrown the two side by side.
That's because the XXX has a virtually square nose, and the Firebird has a radius on the top of the nose, or round blunt nose if you will. The XXX creates more drag and thus the slower speed rating (7-speed) than a Firebird.

And the other fella is correct in that there is no Trilogy version of a flattop 12x/chGlow Firebird, which is so overstable it's virtually useless for your average player other than extreme utility skip shots and forehand rollers.

But XXX will replace regular Firebirds, or maybe even 11x Firebirds, for your average player who doesn't throw 500'.

Felon supposedly doesn't have quite the square nose of a XXX, and will be closer to the rounded blunt nose of the 11x FB. So it should be faster than the XXX by 1- or 2-speeds. Guessing they will rate it 8-9 speed.

Hoping it is similar in flight to either 11x Firebird, or Z Predator / flattop CPD. Will slot between XXX and Scythe speed-wise as an OS driver.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:05 PM

Courses Played: 15
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arodriguez0403 View Post
So is the disc gonna be a blatant rip off of the firebird or flick?
Yes and no. Yes, its a flat over stable fairway driver. But its probably going to be better. Lat 64 made discs usually have more glide that what they're ripping off. If its a longer Firebird, I'll be happy.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

I got to hold and throw a Felon a few days ago. Reminded me of a Firebird in both feel and flight, so anyone looking for their favorite overstable speed 9 in lucid plastic will be happy with it.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 34
Niced 344 Times in 216 Posts

They had them at the worlds flymart. Stacks and stacks of them, felt food too, like a firebird. We'll see how they fly, I like the xXx however and don't really have anything bad to say about them so...

I'll report back.