Old 11-13-2018, 01:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 98 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRB View Post
I can SEE people doing all kinds of unnecessary things and carrying more discs and molds than they need.

And I feel like you can make EITHER the Zone or the Harp cover the same types of shots.

Less is more. Get better at disc golf, not disc buying.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2019, 10:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 43
Niced 254 Times in 110 Posts

Necrobump for two of my favorite putters. I just added an ESP Zone back to the bag, as my hard Harp is broken in and lost some HSS. They are now the perfect combo for most OS upshots; Harp is straight with a nice late fade & Zone is the headwind/spike hyzer/skip shot disc. If the Zone isn’t enough beef, my Caiman is ridiculously OS with an abrupt dumpy fade.

My VIP Harps were never as OS as my ESP Zone, and the ESP plastic is better too (IMO). Conversely the hard Harp is the best feeling base plastic I’ve ever thrown and gets broken in nicely, so the two discs complement each other really well. Only major difference in the rim is bead vs. no bead, which for me is not a huge deal. I only care about having a bead if I’m actually putting.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-29-2019, 03:18 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 634 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baked View Post
Necrobump for two of my favorite putters. I just added an ESP Zone back to the bag, as my hard Harp is broken in and lost some HSS. They are now the perfect combo for most OS upshots; Harp is straight with a nice late fade & Zone is the headwind/spike hyzer/skip shot disc. If the Zone isn’t enough beef, my Caiman is ridiculously OS with an abrupt dumpy fade.

My VIP Harps were never as OS as my ESP Zone, and the ESP plastic is better too (IMO). Conversely the hard Harp is the best feeling base plastic I’ve ever thrown and gets broken in nicely, so the two discs complement each other really well. Only major difference in the rim is bead vs. no bead, which for me is not a huge deal. I only care about having a bead if I’m actually putting.
I only care about not having a bead on a midrange unless it is a non Z Wasp and then Bead and No bead is not a problem when driving. When putting the disc must have a big bead or be the Magnets I use for putting or a similar Magnet like mold with the concave wing/rim say a Titanic, Hydra, or a Clutch. I can even use some drivers with a bead, the Stalker and the Impact.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 01-29-2019 at 03:20 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:08 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,904 Times in 1,429 Posts

I'm switching from the Harp to the Zone. My Harps, in BT Hard and Tournament Plastics, weren't giving me the fade I needed, especially when I threw the discs harder. I bought an ESP Zone from DiscStalker back when they were selling discs, but I'd considered it too much of a brick and OS. But I gave it another shot, and just threw it harder, and it has really performed well for me. It (the Zone) also performs well on forehand shots as I get better and more comfortable with forehands.

The ESP Zone is great, but I ordered a Titanium Zone, and maaaaannnnn that thing is sweet! Like the Ti Buzzz before it, I put it in the bag to test it out, and it is refusing to come out and sit on the sidelines again.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-25-2019, 11:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 26
Niced 377 Times in 228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I'm switching from the Harp to the Zone. My Harps, in BT Hard and Tournament Plastics, weren't giving me the fade I needed, especially when I threw the discs harder. I bought an ESP Zone from DiscStalker back when they were selling discs, but I'd considered it too much of a brick and OS. But I gave it another shot, and just threw it harder, and it has really performed well for me. It (the Zone) also performs well on forehand shots as I get better and more comfortable with forehands.

The ESP Zone is great, but I ordered a Titanium Zone, and maaaaannnnn that thing is sweet! Like the Ti Buzzz before it, I put it in the bag to test it out, and it is refusing to come out and sit on the sidelines again.
Welcome to the club! Next time you feel the itch to buy plastic, check out a Jawbreaker Zone. Holy guacamole are they buttery goodness. And they beat in quick to be a perfect complement to a relatively fresh Titanium Zone.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-25-2019, 11:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 149
Niced 120 Times in 89 Posts

I voted for the Harp. I use it for short forehand approaches that my Firebirds are too much for. I don't use it backhand at all. I like the deep rim, the base plastic (BT Hard), and the groundplay (minimal). I don't require substantial fade or durable plastic. I'm not throwing it all that hard either, more of a finesse shot. Funny, throwing it forehand only I hadn't even noticed that it had a bead until I read this thread.

I've only used a Zone a handful of times and it was at least 7 years ago when I hadn't developed a forehand and my game in general was not at the level it is today.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:42 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 930 Times in 614 Posts

The Harp is the only disc that has never left my bag. The BT Soft May look like poo in a month, but it throws like butter for years. Saved par for me three times today.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-26-2019, 08:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 163
Niced 371 Times in 176 Posts

I have been throwing Medium Harps since they came out. Harp is not as extreme as the Zone, more gently overstable. I find the Harp equally useful for BH and FH, and also use the Harp occasionally for headwind putts or FH rollers. If an approach is open or if I need to control distance, the Harp is the first disc I reach for.

Zone is a fine disc but I never clicked with it. More OS than I prefer, and faster than my putters (more of a putter-mid tweener) so I found it difficult to dial in the range. Which is funny because some folks love the Zone for range control. Eh, everyone is different.

And Moose33 is right - I have never had a Harp get too beat in, no matter what it looks like.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 30
Niced 653 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
The Harp is the only disc that has never left my bag. The BT Soft May look like poo in a month, but it throws like butter for years. Saved par for me three times today.
The clovered-up BT Soft Harp I've had in my bag for two years is probably the ugliest disc I've ever owned. Still reliable though, don't know what I'd do without it

Old 06-26-2019, 01:52 PM
Par Member

Niced 62 Times in 42 Posts

Have been a harp guy for years. Tried a Mcbeth zone just because, didn’t think it was different enough to warrant switching over. I’ll take bt plastic over pro d, also. Jawbreaker seems to break into straight quickly, which is not what I want from an OS putter.