Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-12-2017, 10:58 PM
deyo7 deyo7 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 711
Niced 315 Times in 217 Posts
Default Disc to replace my BEAT DX Eagle. Relay, Leopard, Other?

Happy Friday DGCR

So, my beat to **** DX Eagle (pictured) sits firmly in my understable driver spot. Sadly, it just got a second crack in it and I just don't know how much longer I'll be able to keep "repairing" it before it's finished. I think I need to start making preparations.

***Does anyone have experience replacing beat DX Eagle with something that has similar flight off the shelf?***

Thrown flat probably a -2 to 3 turn but does hook up at the end, not hard by any means but not flippy. That said, I also probably don't throw it much farther than 320 so would likely be flippy for bigger arms. I use it for anhyzer, as a longer mid on powered down hyzerflip shot, OR for shots that I need a right pull on in the 280-320 range. It does work for me.

Relay?
Leopard? Pro or Star, etc?
Archer?
Underworld?
Hatchet?
SLine-FD
Other?

If have a recommendation, please recommend plastic type. I'm not familiar with a lot of US discs just because my DX Eagle has served that purpose well. Only one of the above I've thrown is a used lightweight DX leopard. I know there are many options. What's your favorite? And/or let me know if you have experience replacing a perfectly seasoned DX Eagle.

Thanks as always - guys/gals are awesome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170512_182256.jpg (132.9 KB, 53 views)
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-12-2017, 11:54 PM
SaROCaM SaROCaM is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Courses Played: 38
Posts: 470
Niced 366 Times in 176 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
Thrown flat probably a -2 to 3 turn but does hook up at the end, not hard by any means but not flippy. That said, I also probably don't throw it much farther than 320 so would likely be flippy for bigger arms. I use it for anhyzer, as a longer mid on powered down hyzerflip shot, OR for shots that I need a right pull on in the 280-320 range.
I don't have experience with a beat DX Eagle, but the above description matches my 168g DX Leopard almost exactly. I can usually get it to about 270 from standstill, but can get up to 320 or so with x-step. I use it for hyzerflips both RHBH or RHFH, or gentle turnovers. Have thrown it for a couple rounds, so pretty close to off the shelf. Not sure how long it will last like that. I also have a 168g Star Leopard but it doesn't fly the same as the DX for me.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-13-2017, 12:32 AM
SD86's Avatar
SD86 SD86 is online now
Snowflake
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 8,653
Niced 1,914 Times in 1,433 Posts
Default

FD would be great, but probably the DX Leopard... while you begin seasoning in your new DX Eagle.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-13-2017, 01:02 AM
FlipFlat FlipFlat is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Western NY.
Posts: 308
Niced 25 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
Happy Friday DGCR

So, my beat to **** DX Eagle (pictured) sits firmly in my understable driver spot. Sadly, it just got a second crack in it and I just don't know how much longer I'll be able to keep "repairing" it before it's finished. I think I need to start making preparations.

***Does anyone have experience replacing beat DX Eagle with something that has similar flight off the shelf?***

Thrown flat probably a -2 to 3 turn but does hook up at the end, not hard by any means but not flippy. That said, I also probably don't throw it much farther than 320 so would likely be flippy for bigger arms. I use it for anhyzer, as a longer mid on powered down hyzerflip shot, OR for shots that I need a right pull on in the 280-320 range. It does work for me.

Relay?
Leopard? Pro or Star, etc?
Archer?
Underworld?
Hatchet?
SLine-FD
Other?

If have a recommendation, please recommend plastic type. I'm not familiar with a lot of US discs just because my DX Eagle has served that purpose well. Only one of the above I've thrown is a used lightweight DX leopard. I know there are many options. What's your favorite? And/or let me know if you have experience replacing a perfectly seasoned DX Eagle.

Thanks as always - guys/gals are awesome!
I think a pro Leopard will be close as long as it's not one of the really domey super stiff runs (i haven't seen one of those in quite a while) ,but I don't think you're going to get the exact same flight. Maybe a mid 160's G star Eagle L from the Innova Pro Shop might work after a few rounds on a heavily wooded course. Or going one speed down to a cheetah. Or you could always put a post in the Marketplace for a used eagle X ( I am guessing with that stamp it's more then likely a X mold ). Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-13-2017, 01:28 AM
DiscinFiend's Avatar
DiscinFiend DiscinFiend is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 76
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,751
Niced 173 Times in 106 Posts
Default

Try out a GStar Leopard. It's more understable than Champion or Star Leopards when new. It will stay flippy a lot longer (it's more durable) than a beat DX Eagle.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-13-2017, 01:42 AM
DanJon DanJon is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,964
Niced 1,041 Times in 498 Posts
Default

Pro Leopard.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-13-2017, 06:36 AM
Keller's Avatar
Keller Keller is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Above ground
Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,835
Niced 1,413 Times in 656 Posts
Default

What weight is your Eagle?

Discs that will get you close;
166-167 G* Leopard. The newness beats out of them quick, but after that, they don't seem to change much, I've been throwing the same one for two years now.

Max weight DX Leopard. It won't last as long though.

DX Gazelle. It won't work off the shelf, but beat it in a little and they are pretty nice.

I recently bought a Champion 161gr Leopard3 for chits and giggles and this disc is surprisingly fun to throw.

For fairways, I pretty much throw nothing but Eagles and Leopards.

And if you like Eagles, buy a couple more DX ones and start cycling them. You know the mold, use that to your advantage.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-13-2017, 08:42 AM
deyo7 deyo7 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 711
Niced 315 Times in 217 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
What weight is your Eagle?

Discs that will get you close;
166-167 G* Leopard. The newness beats out of them quick, but after that, they don't seem to change much, I've been throwing the same one for two years now.

Max weight DX Leopard. It won't last as long though.

DX Gazelle. It won't work off the shelf, but beat it in a little and they are pretty nice.

I recently bought a Champion 161gr Leopard3 for chits and giggles and this disc is surprisingly fun to throw.

For fairways, I pretty much throw nothing but Eagles and Leopards.

And if you like Eagles, buy a couple more DX ones and start cycling them. You know the mold, use that to your advantage.
Thanks for the answers everyone, enjoying the responses.

Weight of my DX Eagle I believe is 171 or 172 at most.

And I want to clarify that it's not incredibly flippy for me. For example, when I said I use for a hyzer flip, that's maybe an exaggeration - it's not a steep hyzer angle in order to make it go straight - more shallow angle. On the other hand, the DX Leopard that I found (156g) - now that requires steep hyzer angle to flip to flat. I liked it at first but not anymore.

And by the way the DX Eagle looks, you might think I'm good and experienced but nah. I've probably had that thing for 20-25 years and just didn't happen to lose it and would be the disc I carried a long with a putter any time I played with friends. I didn't start playing regularly until this time last year and that's really when this started changing flight drastically (and got really destroyed). This is a wordy way of saying that I'm really not sure I want to cycle DX Eagles - I think I'd rather just fill the understable slot and not have to worry about it for a few years.

G* or Pro Leopard thus far has most votes then. I know there is a thread on this but how is the newer gummier pro plastic flight working out on Leopard and/or how does flight compare to GStar?

Thanks all!

Last edited by deyo7; 05-13-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-13-2017, 02:17 PM
slacker_sport slacker_sport is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Santa Cruz
Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 41
Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

have a friend that went from a diamond to Underworld for the understable to straight workhorse and loves it (probably max D of 270ish so seems it would fit the understable request). relay has been my pick for my most under stable fairway, and have a newish star leo for when I want to be sure it will finish straight to left (rhbh). the relay, at full power similar to you, I can usually get to hold a turn all or most of the way. fun anny flipper too.

maybe check out a Fury or Sidewinder if you want to try a touch faster?

... and a River is an ever popular option for a subtle s-curve or easy flip to flat. gold line/ recycled have always been my choice for feel and faster break-in. recycled maybe finishing a touch more US, but either imho feel like better runs of Star.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 05-13-2017, 07:45 PM
Moose33 Moose33 is offline
Salient/Yikun Groupie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 5,051
Niced 931 Times in 615 Posts
Default

Also a Recycled Stag would be really good here too. It would start more stable, but beat into the turnover shot disc you want and stay that way for a long time.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What should I replace my leopard with? discgolfe Discs 42 06-02-2014 10:47 PM
What disc to replace my CE Leopard?! CK_32 Discs 42 01-27-2014 02:24 PM
Beat Star TL replace Leopard? BirdieMachine Discs 25 12-02-2013 03:28 PM
What single disc can replace a River and Leopard? Wreck Discs 66 07-31-2013 09:23 PM
Replace Leopard and Teebird for 1 disc? Technohic Discs 18 04-25-2010 09:10 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.