Old 03-03-2018, 01:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 664 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lines View Post
The story of the 'multi purpose' disc. Jack of all, master of none.
Right, but the Roc was also labeled Multi-Purpose, and it certainly still finds a place in a lot of modern bags. I think the main thing about the Spider is that it's a small diameter mid with workhorse-level stability. People just don't bag small diameter mids in that slot anymore, probably because you get more glide and distance out of a large diameter mid. People still use small diameter mids like the Gator in the overstable slot since they don't want them to fly all that far anyway, but not so much in the workhorse slot.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-06-2019, 10:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 235 Times in 153 Posts

I just bought on the other day, but have yet to give it its one-disc round. Sounds like a good candidate for one.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:35 PM
* Ace Member *

So, played said 1 disc round today on a 9 hole course where the head-wind was pretty brisk holes 1-4, crosswind hole 5, tailwind 6-9. Spider held the line on the head wind shots if they were finessed. Took a couple holes to figure that out. It really shone on the tailwind shots tho. It is a fun PnA disc too. I'm gonna put it in the bag because I like the versatility, and the floaty drops with little roll action, and the headwind putts. So 13 people will be bagging a Spider now.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:41 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 30
Niced 446 Times in 247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
So, played said 1 disc round today on a 9 hole course where the head-wind was pretty brisk holes 1-4, crosswind hole 5, tailwind 6-9. Spider held the line on the head wind shots if they were finessed. Took a couple holes to figure that out. It really shone on the tailwind shots tho. It is a fun PnA disc too. I'm gonna put it in the bag because I like the versatility, and the floaty drops with little roll action, and the headwind putts. So 13 people will be bagging a Spider now.
What plastic did you buy? Champs break into a great tweeners. I still have yet to put a star through it's paces. My dxs are a smaller diameter than champs or stars. They almost look like a different mold.
I also learned from a local legend that you can putt with it upside down in windy conditions with great results.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:36 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 23
Niced 211 Times in 112 Posts

Old 01-07-2019, 11:05 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 634 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
Right, but the Roc was also labeled Multi-Purpose, and it certainly still finds a place in a lot of modern bags. I think the main thing about the Spider is that it's a small diameter mid with workhorse-level stability. People just don't bag small diameter mids in that slot anymore, probably because you get more glide and distance out of a large diameter mid. People still use small diameter mids like the Gator in the overstable slot since they don't want them to fly all that far anyway, but not so much in the workhorse slot.
That might have been the old ROC, now the Classic ROC that was labeled Multi-Purpose. I know the Classic ROC was labeled this in the early to mid 2000's as I saw this on a friends Classic ROC. After the Pro plastic and later the champion plastic came out these discs were changed to be whatever category they were in be it putter or midrange.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 31
Niced 104 Times in 54 Posts

I gave away a CE Spider to a local who had his bag stolen.

Yep, I'm a nice guy.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 723 Times in 506 Posts

I was gonna say my buddy throws one but he beat me here LOL. I gave my nephew a CE Spider for his bag (before O knew what it really was) and he won't let me buy it back, little $h*#!!
Old 01-08-2019, 09:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by lines View Post
What plastic did you buy? Champs break into a great tweeners. I still have yet to put a star through it's paces. My dxs are a smaller diameter than champs or stars. They almost look like a different mold.
I also learned from a local legend that you can putt with it upside down in windy conditions with great results.
Just a DX. Premium Spider would be interesting.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 44
Niced 664 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
That might have been the old ROC, now the Classic ROC that was labeled Multi-Purpose. I know the Classic ROC was labeled this in the early to mid 2000's as I saw this on a friends Classic ROC. After the Pro plastic and later the champion plastic came out these discs were changed to be whatever category they were in be it putter or midrange.
Regular old KC Pro and DX Rocs used to be labeled "Multi-Purpose". The word was right below the word "Roc" on the disc where the word "Mid-Range" is now. I have one at home labeled that, and you can find plenty of pictures of them on Google. I have no idea about Classic Rocs; I only ever owned 1 or 2, but they very well might have had that label. I think Innova labeled quite a few discs multi-purpose back in the day, and none of them are labeled that way anymore. Certainly neither the current Roc stamp, nor the current Spider stamps have it. Of course, given that Spiders aren't all that popular, you're probably a lot more likely to find old stock with the Multi-purpose stamp still sitting around on store shelves.

Niced: (3)