Old 12-10-2018, 09:25 PM
Par Member

Niced 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default Will a defender fit the bill?

I love my moonshine trespasses!! Especially when they are new, will pop to flat but not turn at all and will fly straight before fading out, however I can't seem to keep them at that stage....
Will a defender fit the bill? If so what plastic? Lucid? Fuzion? Bio?
If not what would work? Prefer trilogy, Innova, discmania or discraft
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2018, 10:06 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 19
Niced 46 Times in 30 Posts

I like the Trespass but had that similar issue. Defenders were too much for my arm, but it wouldn’t hurt to try them. They may work out for you. I would start with a bio defender and go from there. Me personally, I started throwing a Z crank and haven’t looked back.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-10-2018, 10:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 642 Times in 506 Posts

The Defender is faster and beefier than a Trespass. I don't think it quite has the glide of a Trespass either. That said, the Defender is still a very long disc...... if you have the arm for it. Brand new a Defender will be pretty overstable. You'll probably have to beat it in somewhat to approach anything resembling Trespass flight. I'd say try a Defender. Throw it a bit and beat it in. However, if you don't throw at least 350' already I don't think a Defender will ever go as far for you as a Trespass.

If you like DD you might try the Sheriff. In lucid plastic they generally start out stable to maybe very moderately overstable. Once beat they turn into really good hyzerflip bombers. I've thrown a couple metal flake lucid Sheriffs lately that have been great. They have some high speed turn, but a decent fade at the end of flight.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 369 Times in 210 Posts

Same issue., I’ve been on a bit of a quest to find a distance driver I can throw into a slight headwind and not lose to the left.

I picked up an opto defender a while ago with this thought then disc’d down to speed 7’s before I had a chance to beat it up. Looked at again the other day to see if I could beat some of the OS out of it and it would fly like a fresh Tresspass. Knowing Trilogy plastic generally loses stability so quick.

If o can find the time to throw more I can work this disc a bunch and see.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,456 Times in 1,563 Posts

How far do you throw the Trespass?

If you want a Defender, Bio is the first step. It should start out quite OS like a fast pretty beefy Destroyer but will wear in and mellow out in the HSS and get some more distance. You need to throw it hard though but it will drift. Definitely a step up in speed from the Trespass and very significantly more stable. It will deal with a lot of wind when fresh and after wear it will be ok in moderate wind. It is much more power hungry than the Trespass.

The Sheriff is more of a slight step up from the Trespass, I'd probably look into Lucid for a bit more durability. It's faster and slightly more power hungry, but it still is not a windy day disc, especially when worn in or if you throw hard. It has more of a late stability than the Trespass, where the Trespass kind of sweeps back and the Sheriff wants to flex out.

I have not thrown the Lucid-X Trespass but those are supposed to be quite stable. This could be the right choice but I haven't thrown them.

Edit: A Wraith could also be a good pairing with the Trespass for a bit more consistency.

Last edited by slowplastic; 12-10-2018 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:37 AM
Par Member

Niced 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
How far do you throw the Trespass?

If you want a Defender, Bio is the first step. It should start out quite OS like a fast pretty beefy Destroyer but will wear in and mellow out in the HSS and get some more distance. You need to throw it hard though but it will drift. Definitely a step up in speed from the Trespass and very significantly more stable. It will deal with a lot of wind when fresh and after wear it will be ok in moderate wind. It is much more power hungry than the Trespass.

The Sheriff is more of a slight step up from the Trespass, I'd probably look into Lucid for a bit more durability. It's faster and slightly more power hungry, but it still is not a windy day disc, especially when worn in or if you throw hard. It has more of a late stability than the Trespass, where the Trespass kind of sweeps back and the Sheriff wants to flex out.

I have not thrown the Lucid-X Trespass but those are supposed to be quite stable. This could be the right choice but I haven't thrown them.

Edit: A Wraith could also be a good pairing with the Trespass for a bit more consistency.
A average throw for one of moonshines is in the 380-390' range. My lucid ones are beat in and flippy, but go over 400' if I get my angle correct on a calm day.
I actually already have a sheriff in bio and it's my turn over disc, found it in a used bin and it's beat, straight flyer with a right turning finish. maybe try a lucid?
I carry 2 pd2s for overstable but the slot I'm looking to fill is between them and my Trespass. Is the defender more like a destroyer, where it will fit between them? I'm thinking bio plastic for sure now, once beat in should be good right? Too os out of the box
Old 12-11-2018, 08:23 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 295 Times in 168 Posts

Beat up a Bio Enforcer.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-11-2018, 10:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 48
Niced 758 Times in 522 Posts

I think the key to the Defender is, loan it to one of your forehand only buddies and let him use it until he says it turns too much. Then, it's right.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:32 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 23
Niced 369 Times in 210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbultman View Post
A average throw for one of moonshines is in the 380-390' range. My lucid ones are beat in and flippy, but go over 400' if I get my angle correct on a calm day.
I actually already have a sheriff in bio and it's my turn over disc, found it in a used bin and it's beat, straight flyer with a right turning finish. maybe try a lucid?
I carry 2 pd2s for overstable but the slot I'm looking to fill is between them and my Trespass. Is the defender more like a destroyer, where it will fit between them? I'm thinking bio plastic for sure now, once beat in should be good right? Too os out of the box
Very similar to me.

My Sheriff is Opto but has started to get a bit squirly at times. Generally I am more comfortable with the Trespass but my absolute max distance has been with the Sheriff... not sure actual distance... down hill /tailwind etc... but very long.

I want the tick more stability. I haven't been throwing anything between Tresspass and Teebird speed wise. Sure I can get a touch more distance out of a PD than a TB but not enough to make a huge difference in the shot generally. I want that next step up.
When talking about headwind I wasn't even thinking huge GBO Kansas style wind, but just enough you feel it and can't trust things like the Trespass and Sheriff.

Opto-X seems intriguing but since I have this defender I'll see about beating it up. Right now it OS enough it is shorter than my Seasoned Star TB.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,456 Times in 1,563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbultman View Post
Yeah I think Bio Defender is what you want. The Sheriff definitely beats in and at your arm speed you'll be using it as it should be for max D...it won't act stable for you for long until it beats in even if it starts more stable than most Trespasses. Obviously they are flippier in Bio like you have seen. If you were down in the 350 range then maybe this would have worked.

The Defender may overlap with your PD2's a bit initially but I bet in a month or less of use it will be doing what you want. The -1/3 type of flight after wear...when it turns you know it has a hefty fade still left in it as long as it has a little air under it. They start out with pretty decent distance for being OS but there's definitely an initially beat in period where they all of the sudden get some extra glide and some flip.