171 5x Champ Valkyrie
167 GStar Sidewinder

176 2x Champ Roc3
176 12x KC Pro Roc

175 BT Hard Harp
175 Soft Wizard
175 Fossil Wizard
175 Organic Wizard (2)

This is how my bag looks at the end of 2018 and the beginning of 2019. I added a healthy batch of discs to rotation this year. The Destroyer, '18 Sexton Firebird, Valkyrie, Harp, and a pair of Glow Wizards were all new additions. This winter, I’ve been working in a Champ Thunderbird as well. It was a smooth transition. I don’t feel like I added too many discs. And those that I added, I stuck with.

Distance
I didn’t throw a Destroyer at all in 2017. So, I decided to learn the life cycle and put a new Star Destroyer in the bag in the spring. It beat in over the course of a year’s abuse, but I still can’t get it up to speed. I use it for OS distance. I throw it almost entirely backhand. It has more glide and distance potential than any of my other wind fighting options. I primarily throw it on a huge flex that it fights out of relatively quickly. Its stability is useful on downhill shots. I can use it overhand in a pinch.

The Starlite Wraith has been in the bag since 2016. I took a major step forward in distance almost immediately after I found it and played some great rounds with it. By 2017, I thought it was getting flippy, took it out of the bag and lost it late in the summer. Last spring, it returned, and it ended up fitting nicely back into the bag, seeing a bit of a resurgence. The Starlite Wraith is longer than my Sidewinders and is responsible for all my personal bests as far as distance goes. I throw it on open holes.

Fairway
The 167 Champ Firebird is the oldest disc in my bag. I only throw it backhand. It has dependable stability on downhills or shots that need to end left. It is a wind fighter. My Destroyer will fly similarly with more glide and distance potential. The other Firebirds are only used for forehand and they handle almost all my forehand work. I’m also throwing more forehands than I have previously. The ‘15 Sexton has been a workhorse forehand disc for several years. It began the year as my go-to. I added an ‘18 Sexton in the spring and got it plenty of beats over the course of the year. At this point, ’15 has lost some stability and I’m using the ’18 as the workhorse. Their roles and this situation ought to continue to clarify itself as time goes on. I’m also trying a max weight FAF Champ in the most OS Firebird slot. I could use the '18 Sexton or FAF Champ overhand. They are both more stable than the Destroyer on overhand throws.

I began throwing a Champion Thunderbird in the fall and it has become reliable, even if its role isn’t 100% figured out. It has a nice stability which I prefer for backhand although I have tried throwing it forehand as well. It fits between the Valkyrie and the Champ Firebird. For me, it is a moderately overstable driver, shorter than my Destroyer. It is also shorter than my Sidewinder and Valkyrie.

The Champ Valkyrie was a big addition. It is a nice stable compliment to the Sidewinder, while still being a very workable driver with a lot of glide. 9 speed seems to be the magic number for me right now. Even at 171, I was able to just pick up it up and throw it. I generally play straight to fade only with this disc.

The Sidewinder is my main backhand driver. I use it to hit gaps or in the woods. I can throw it for distance. I love to power it down. I can hyzer-flip it. I can coax turn out of it. If you followed me for a round, I would throw this disc off the tee on most shots. I went through 5 different GStar Sidewinders in 2018. It didn’t matter though, every time that I had to reach for a new Sidewinder, it was exactly what I wanted. For tournaments, I've been bringing a second.

Midrange
I threw the KC Pro/Roc3 combo early in the year. Midseason, I added a Buzzz and that caused some turmoil. I cut the Buzzz and returned to the KC Pro and the Roc3 at the end of the year. I’m quite happy with this setup, it is simple, uncluttered. I’m glad I gave the Buzzz another chance, but I’m more confident with only the Rocs. The KC has been with me for three years and the Roc3 two, they each have defined roles. I also have a DX Glow Roc which saw some time in the bag and has served as a backup.

Putters
The Harp has been a fun addition. It has taught to me to throw putter forehands. It is tough to rein in the distance with shorter forehands throwing a Firebird, so the Harp has been an easy add. It is the most used forehand disc outside of the Firebirds, though short forehand shots are a small slice of the pie.

Adding a fresh Soft Wizard as my main thrower was a big part of my success this year. I retired the Soft Wizard I’d thrown since 2013 and the difference was like night and day. The new Soft was dialed in immediately. The Fossil Wizard that I'd lost last year returned as well. It has a lower profile than any of my other Wizards and is seasoned into a nice spot. It will be a fun tandem with the Soft when the weather warms up. The Organics have been my main putters for the last three years. I have had a ton of success with them and I don’t see them getting replaced anytime soon. I'm breaking in a pair of Glows as my next set of putters in the meantime.

2018 In Review
I played more rounds in 2018 than in any prior year. I also played in more tournaments (10). I’d never made the money before, but this year I won my division in one tournament, tied for second overall in another, took fourth in my division in a B-Tier, and cashed a total of 5 times. I had five aces. I helped set a course record for doubles with one of my closest friends.

I committed to my setup in 2018 and I'm pleased with how similar my bag looks to how it did a year ago. I intend to similarly commit to this setup for 2019.

Previous threads
2013 Redux
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-24-2019, 04:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 149
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 118 Times in 87 Posts

I played my first couple rounds of the year. I added my old beat Wizard back to the bag.

167 4x Star Destroyer
154 Starlite Wraith

175 18 Sexton Firebird
175 15 Sexton Firebird
167 12x Champ Firebird
171 5x Champ Valkyrie
167 GStar Sidewinder

176 2x Champ Roc3
176 12x KC Pro Roc

175 BT Hard Harp
175 Soft Wizard
172 Soft Wizard
175 Organic Wizard (2)
Old 03-24-2019, 11:26 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,891 Times in 1,420 Posts

Nice bag. Anything in particular you use the lightweight Wraith for?
Old 03-24-2019, 01:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Thanks! I use it for wide open distance. It is my floppiest driver.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardu View Post
It is my floppiest driver.
Flippiest. Ha!
Old 03-25-2019, 10:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 46
Niced 3,073 Times in 1,333 Posts

Solid as usual! I've been messing around with a Soft Harp some...not bad and really loving the new Firm Wizards.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:05 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Anything in particular you use the lightweight Wraith for?
It was also the first disc that I could throw for distance. Probably 15+ longer than my Sidewinders and better at elevation. Easier to throw uphill since it is less stable and downhill flying a longer flight than a Sidewinder as well. I would never have added it to my bag, but I can't argue with the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Solid as usual! I've been messing around with a Soft Harp some...not bad and really loving the new Firm Wizards.
Me too, I've come to the conclusion that they are the stability of Soft Wizards, which makes me happy. This particular run happens to have nice profiles and flat tops as well.

The bag I listed above is my go to. I could play with just the Soft Wizard as the thrower and the pair of Organics as the putters, but I have more fun when I have a couple others around as well. I added a Glow Wizard today.

I've got a whole pile of options that I could add to the bag, but I am not feeling as decisive as I was last year about adding new discs. I've learned to add discs when I have holes in my bag and not just for the sake of adding them.

The main spot that I am concerned with right now is something more stable than my GStar Sidewinders but still able to get distance. Right now, the Valk is filling this role perfectly. But a 5x JK isn't very replaceable and all the other Valks that I've tried have been too stable. I bought a Star Sidewinder and it is too stable. It occured to me that I should try a GStar Valkyrie. I might try the Champ TeeBird I have sitting around tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:43 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Thanks! I use it for wide open distance. It is my floppiest driver.
Quote:
It was also the first disc that I could throw for distance. Probably 15+ longer than my Sidewinders and better at elevation. Easier to throw uphill since it is less stable and downhill flying a longer flight than a Sidewinder as well. I would never have added it to my bag, but I can't argue with the results.
Cool beans. I had just watched the video of Big Jerm using his Wraith for certain shots, so I had that in mind when I asked if you used your Wraith for specialty shots. The Wraith is a great mold for a lot of things.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Cool beans. I had just watched the video of Big Jerm using his Wraith for certain shots, so I had that in mind when I asked if you used your Wraith for specialty shots. The Wraith is a great mold for a lot of things.
Oh yeah, he has a Pro Wraith in there for distance, right?

I did get a chance to try the GStar Valkyrie today and (surprise) I loved it. It is very similar to the GStar Sidewinders with just a bit more HSS and LSS. It is less stable than my Champ or Star Sidewinders. I didn't get a chance to throw it back to back with my 5x JK, but I did look at the PLH and they are identical. Basically exactly what I'm looking for.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:16 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Oh yeah, he has a Pro Wraith in there for distance, right?

I did get a chance to try the GStar Valkyrie today and (surprise) I loved it. It is very similar to the GStar Sidewinders with just a bit more HSS and LSS. It is less stable than my Champ or Star Sidewinders. I didn't get a chance to throw it back to back with my 5x JK, but I did look at the PLH and they are identical. Basically exactly what I'm looking for.
IIRC, Big Jerm was using his Wraith for forehand shots in relative wooded scenarios. Definitely was getting distance as well as control.

If you like the Valk and the Sidewinder, you might want to look into an Infinite Discs Sphinx. Allegedly it has a Valkyrie top and a Roadrunner bottom. I really love my Sphinxes.