Old 02-04-2019, 10:46 PM
Par Member

Niced 58 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
As slowplastic said above, the Mako3 is a good suggestion.

I would also recommend a Panther if you can find one with a relatively high PLH. Older pink Panthers (with the old script stamp) are nice and straight-stable.
Hmm I've never considered a Panther... How do they feel? Flat/domey?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2019, 10:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 208 Times in 131 Posts

I feel like the Buzz is a pretty decent standard for a gentle S shot. I'll also recommend the Axis and Tangent for a little more or less stable respectively. I feel like the Tangent is a Comet with fade, whereas the Axis is more in the Buzz stability range.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,442 Times in 1,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFlight View Post
I also do have a Star Mako 3, which I don't currently bag, but maybe should revisit it. Also found it to be stable, but not quite the "S" shaped shots than I'm looking for.
Yeah that's true, it's straight-stable. Honestly I want my mids to do one of 3 things:
-hyzer flip, and hold it for either straight until the ground shots or turnovers
-dead straight, can hold any line
-straight to fade...can be used for wind/hyzers/shallow flex shots

I have no need for mids that do a turn to fade flight, I feel like that just eats up extra room on the fairway where I could normally just throw another mid that is dead straight and I consider that to be a "better" mold. I step up to fairways like an FD if I want something that has a little right drift then a little fade back. So I don't really have a recommendation for a -2/2 type slot in a speed 4/5 disc.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-04-2019, 11:02 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 41
Niced 635 Times in 361 Posts

Buzzz was my first thought, mentioning flexing shots makes me want to recommend a Cobra. Both have been in my bag for a decade (or more).

Old 02-04-2019, 11:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 30
Niced 653 Times in 323 Posts

Whatever the replacement for McGlow Roc3's is/will be. Disregard the flight numbers listed on 'em, they're straight at first & then break in to what you're describing

Old 02-04-2019, 11:15 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 630 Times in 542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFlight View Post
Hey Guys,

Looking for recommendations on a mid-range disc that will be great in the woods. I love my comet, but wish it had a tad more fade to offer. That disc holds a line, and stays there.
I love my Roc as well, but looking for something a little gentler and less overtable.
Ideally something with numbers in the realm of 4 or 5, 5, -2, 2.
I used to throw a Skeeter, which I haven't thrown in years. I remember liking it at the time, but my game has changed a lot since then.
Also been looking at Discraft Impact. No experience with it, but it sounds cool.

Anyways, apologies if there is already a similar thread, just looking for some recommendations in that realm.

Cheers!

Impact is a bit fast for a true midrange and OOP and sought after by Impact users so could be hard to find, ideal weights were the 170-172 grams and the 173-174 grams. I would recommend the Shark as it is a slower flying ROC with tad less of the immediate drop out of the sky as disc slowing down the way a ROC can do. Another is the Wombat 3, the regular has a top that can be too variable in terms of the dome from a Skeeter like dome to a dome like the most domed disc from Gateway.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 02-04-2019 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:21 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 630 Times in 542 Posts

The Wombat 3 has a flight similar to the Impact but a true fast midrange speed.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:21 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 292 Times in 167 Posts

I didn't read the second page. But you say you want more of an "S" shape out of a Comet?

I have a Gateway Mystic in beautiful pearly Evolution plastic and a cool flag-foil Gateway Arch stamp that both turns very easily, and then still has a tendency to fade at the end. Weird disc. But it was so pretty that I couldn't resist buying it. Maybe try one. Heck, wanna try mine?
Old 02-04-2019, 11:35 PM
Par Member

Niced 58 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller View Post
I didn't read the second page. But you say you want more of an "S" shape out of a Comet?

I have a Gateway Mystic in beautiful pearly Evolution plastic and a cool flag-foil Gateway Arch stamp that both turns very easily, and then still has a tendency to fade at the end. Weird disc. But it was so pretty that I couldn't resist buying it. Maybe try one. Heck, wanna try mine?
Always open to trying new discs, but of course my fiancee can see my banking, haha. The mystic sounds fairly understable from what I read. Maybe yours is an anomaly?

Old 02-05-2019, 12:47 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 292 Times in 167 Posts

It is pretty understable. But still has some bite at the end. For as easy as it is to get it to turn, and being a mid, I would expect it to just keep turning. But this one wants to fight back at the end. Like I said, weird disc. But you said you want an "S" flight for flexing in the woods...

In trying to relate it to something else, this is the closest I can think of:

A Verdict goes laser straight for me, with a mild fade at the end. An EMac Truth has about the same fade for me, but will turn in the middle. Heck, maybe you should try an EMac Truth?

Like the classic Teebird vs Eagle analogy. If you want a laser, you use the Teebird. If you want some turn and some fade, you pick Eagle. This Mystic(and an EMac Truth, now that I think of it), would fit the Eagle role, while a Roc is more like a Teebird.