Courses Played: 28
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to NothinButChing

yea discraft just feeeeeels better
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey guys I really like this one disc but I decided I really like this one other brand better so I was wondering if this other brand made the EXACT same disc that I already really like and throw pretty well but like I said it's not the right brand so I'd really like to find something that flies exactly the same but with this different brand hotstamped on the top so what do you think guys?
Old 07-09-2010, 10:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 122
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 500 Times in 313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Albert View Post
I love the TL, but it seems to be the last Innova disc left in my bag. Used to be all Innova, but as I get better I am really starting to play more and more Discraft because of consistency in new discs and better feeling plastic (to me). I've tried the Impact and Stalker, but don't quite get the distance of reliable flight of a TL. Impact is sweet, but is a little touchier than the TL. I find the Stalker to fly straight, but with a pretty big last minute fade. I love the TL for it's totally straight flight and landing. Is there an equivalent?

Reference: I drive the TL on a low flight and consistency get 325-375 every drive on course. What I really like is that I can`t seem to screw it up - it`s very forgiving of small release errors - unless I aim too high. I've played with 5 different ones, and they've all had small chances in characterists...typical of Innova stuff.
I think the Stalker is the closest thing. I throw mine more in the 350-400' range and I find I'm able to make it fly a very straight line when needed. I find Stalker compared to TL or TB I sacrifice about 10-15 feet of distance though, but compared to the Teebird I think it's more versatile.

I have an FLX XL I've thrown but to me it feels flippier than what you're asking for.

I have an Xpress I recently found that based on 3 throws in an open field I can say it's worth looking at. Feels a bit like a slower TL.

The Impact is slower and more understable than a TL IMO. More like a faster Comet than a TL.

Last edited by Mike C; 07-09-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 138
Niced 13 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMaC View Post
Hey guys I really like this one disc but I decided I really like this one other brand better so I was wondering if this other brand made the EXACT same disc that I already really like and throw pretty well but like I said it's not the right brand so I'd really like to find something that flies exactly the same but with this different brand hotstamped on the top so what do you think guys?
hahahahaha.. holy nuts, that was great, thanks

assuming you already have a buzzz... my suggestion would be Z Cyclone or FLX Drone (if you've got the power). and, unless you are completely antinnova, consider a heavy Polaris SLS.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.1
Courses Played: 131
Niced 172 Times in 88 Posts

The XL has different stability ratings for different plastics... i.e. Elite X = 1.0 vs. Elite Z = 1.5

I no longer have them, but I used to have them both and the Elite X flies similar to the TL and the Elite Z flies similar to the Teebird... for me. (with less distance).
Old 07-09-2010, 11:32 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 11
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

what you do is take some acetone and rub off the innova stamp, then write "discraft" on the top of it and vuala! you have a discraft TL.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:32 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 34
Niced 14 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMaC View Post
Ok KMac, let's try this again since you feel the need to stroke your ego by picking apart what I am saying. I hope that helps you get your rocks off.

Since you need more details...I really like the TL. I live in a small town, with a Discraft dealer only. I can't buy TL's in person. If I order TL's online, as I have, they've all been different - some flat, some domey, with different flight characteristics. Not too appealing, when the same disc flies different. The ones I like, I really like, but they're not easy to replace. So, because of reliability, I am seeing if there are any discs that may be similar that I can check out in person. I feel better being able to look at different plastic, and do a few tosses - the store will let me order in some discs, and if they don't do the trick they'll sell them until I find one I really like. Ideally, if I do, then knowing Discraft consistency, they'll be easy to replace with good matches.

I'm really glad that I had to go into that much more detail. You must feel like a real big person now. So, now that you know the rest of the story, is there anything else I can help you with? If not, just switch websites, put your hand back down in your pants, and continue with what you've been doing all night. Wanker.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 65
Niced 105 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eegor View Post
The XL has different stability ratings for different plastics... i.e. Elite X = 1.0 vs. Elite Z = 1.5

I no longer have them, but I used to have them both and the Elite X flies similar to the TL and the Elite Z flies similar to the Teebird... for me. (with less distance).
You know, if innova were super accurate with their ratings they would have different ratings for their different plastics. Every disc flies differently in different plastics.

As for the topic goes. Which TL are you throwing? what Weights? how far?

XL is a great mold (so is the TL) and they will perform similarly but not the same. ESP XL's are good, so are X and Z try all three. D is not bad either, but start off too understable for my 400+ power.

End of story you really have three options:
A. Spend a bit of money trying out XL's in different plastics and weights to decide what you like best.

B. Finding a stash of TL's you like best and buying them up (which is potentially cheaper)

C. Buying the first XL you see, claim to liking it more although you likely do not throw it as well as your TL.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Maryland State PDGA Coordinator

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 256
Niced 45 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
You must feel like a real big person now. So, now that you know the rest of the story, is there anything else I can help you with? If not, just switch websites, put your hand back down in your pants, and continue with what you've been doing all night. Wanker.
Why would he put his hands in his pants over at discgolfreview. Comets must really get him excited

I see this is only your second post, but just to warn you that directing insults at someone can get you banned. KMac was mocking the situation, but he never got personal.

I was interested in what people had to say, so good thread idea.
Best of luck on the site.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 65
Niced 105 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
I feel better being able to look at different plastic, and do a few tosses - the store will let me order in some discs, and if they don't do the trick they'll sell them until I find one I really like.
Since you posted as I wrote my post up, I would say go with option A (as I posted right above) if you really can try a handful to find what you like. I like both molds, and throw the XL. It just fit my style/power/bag better.
I definitely understand wanting to pick your discs by hand. I have trouble buying online for these reasons (although if you phone in your orders you can be a bit more picky with some retailers) I feel this alone is a valid enough reason to want to replace something you already like throwing.