Old 02-22-2009, 10:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 156
Niced 11 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
Default Woodsy Fairways versus Difficult Landings

What is the more difficult drive, which is more fun, which do you prefer? I am noticing a theme with many courses having those long wooded fairways that are so difficult to navigate and your disc rarely lands before hitting a tree and falling versus those more open courses with lower shrubs, water and pines etc. that can be thrown over but where a more precise landing is needed. Interesting to me and seems to require 2 different skill sets. I think from region to region this changes as well as from course to couse. I compare shooting through woods to an expert sniper which needs an accurate low shot...and then placing a drive on an open hole with obstacles present as being an expert mortar bomber who has to land safely. I actually think landing precisely is more difficult than driving a fairway sometimes....does anyone know what I am talking about? LOL
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 84
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it is about technique.. Sometimes a wooded fairway may seem like it requires a lucky shot - but with the right technique it is totally possible to keep it in the fairway.

The landing zone example you mentioned can be tricky. Again, I think it is about technique and shot selection. Sometimes an overhand shot is the best thing to stick a landing with. If there is a fast green, try to throw a shot that does not match the angle of the green.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 106
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 311 Times in 143 Posts

Cool question... and timing! I was just out at Rocky Gap State Park near Cumberland, MD yesterday. They don't have a disc golf course (yet) but they have a bunch of awesome, unused land.

I laid out 15 holes over two visits to the park this month. I know where three more need to go to make 18 but I've just run out of time. There's also plenty of room for even 9 more. So I'm getting ready to make a proposal to the park's dept. this Spring. Although if they go for the idea, they'll probably bring in a big name designer since there's aleady a Nicklaus (sp?) ball golf course on site.

Anyway, to get to my point. One of the holes that I laid out is totally a "targeted landing area hole." The way that the grass is already cut in the field, the low cut grass area is kind of U shaped. If you start on one side of the U and throw across to the other side, you have to carry about 200' of uncut, thick grass and weeds. And I'm sure that it's much worse in the Summer. The landing area is only about 25-35' deep so you have to use a little touch. If you go long, your in sticker bush central. If you go around the U, though, you can play a much safer route that doesn't play over the thick grass at all. It's all about risk and reward there.

Plus there's another hole I laid out that's on a "sort of" peninsula. There's a grassy area about 290' long. The "fairway" is only about 35'-40' wide the whole way. On the right side and past the end, the bank drops off severely about 30" down the hill. And a drainage ditch runs down the left side that I would consider OB as the road is only 20" beyond the ditch. If I place the basket 20' from the end, that means that it's only 20' to the left, right and back of the pin. So you have to be pretty accurate from 270" away at the pin to not end up in trouble... or play safe and short.

And personally, I really like both sorts of holes. But on the courses that I've played, there arent' that many holes that have the specific, tight landing zone needed to score well. I look at some of the raise, island, peninsula, etc. greens on some of the courses on this sight and am just amazed. How awesome is this game?

Last edited by Jimb; 02-22-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Of the courses I play regularly in DE two of them (Iron Hill and Lums Pond) have some very tight fairways requiring a very precise drive to stay out of trouble. I think that of the two scenarios this is the more mentally taxing at least. There is just something about teeing off and ending up behind a tree less than 20 ft away that just takes the wind out of your sails.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 138
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

True that, though its nice to have a mix. Ive noticed that Arizona Courses have much more of the targeted landing areas than tight fairways. They put pins on cliff edges, and in a hevily protected bvrush grove that requires a spike hyzer/overhand to penetrate, and have scattered obstacles on the shrub-strewn fairway that restrict shot selection. Its a nice change of pace from tunnel shot after tunnel shot like we have in the northwoods
Old 02-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 137
Niced 20 Times in 15 Posts
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1

Variety is always a good thing. A good layout will force you to throw many different kinds of shots. I love the risk/reward type of hole where you can go for a great shot or play it safe.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 106
Niced 311 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texconsinite View Post
True that, though its nice to have a mix. Ive noticed that Arizona Courses have much more of the targeted landing areas than tight fairways. They put pins on cliff edges, and in a hevily protected bvrush grove that requires a spike hyzer/overhand to penetrate, and have scattered obstacles on the shrub-strewn fairway that restrict shot selection. Its a nice change of pace from tunnel shot after tunnel shot like we have in the northwoods
I really need to get out more. That sounds awesome! Although I'd probably need a pay raise to make up for all of the plastic that I'd lose!