Old 06-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 94
Niced 18 Times in 13 Posts
Default High Speed Understable Disc

Recently, I've really started to like my Sidewinder, but I'm just not getting as much distance as I'd like. So I'm looking for a high speed (10 or 11), understable disc. Looks like a Monarch might be a canidate, but I'm looking for other suggestions. If you have any ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2009, 01:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 59
Niced 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfishey View Post
Recently, I've really started to like my Sidewinder, but I'm just not getting as much distance as I'd like. So I'm looking for a high speed (10 or 11), understable disc. Looks like a Monarch might be a canidate, but I'm looking for other suggestions. If you have any ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.

My RoadRunner goes very far.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 94
Niced 18 Times in 13 Posts

What about Snap Disc's FGR Helios? How does FGR plastic hold up?
Old 06-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 13
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to StrikerME02

A Beast or Roadrunner is your best bet. It doesn't always mean discs with a higher speed you will be able to throw farther.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 78
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

speed != distance. Look at all the current and past world record holder disc and you will see slowish medium speed discs. High speed discs are designed for high speed arms. They are designed to do their 'flight pattern' at a certain miles per hour coming out of your hands. If you fail to get the disc up to this design speed then you will not see the 'flight pattern' that the disc says it will perform.

Lower speed discs are design to come out of your hands at a lower arm speed...and then perform their flight pattern...if you start flipping these over...you are pulling thru faster than the design specs of the disc...hence why we start hyzer flipping the discs...we point the disc closer and closer to a 90 degree angle with the ground..throw..and the disc will flip up flat and then fly its designed flight path.

So..don't think like every other disc golfer on the planet and think that the latest and greatest will fly farther...only to be disappointed when your new disc doesn't fly like it was advertised...however... high speed disc tend to 'hide' bad form...so a lot of new players will claim what I just said as BS.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 33
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hyzer-flipping my monarch is my longest throw.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 78
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm about to go try my longest throws...just received my 150G R-Pro Bosses...in white, yellow, blue and red....see which colors cause the stability that I would prefer the most. My normal distance on flat ground with no wind is about 330-350 with a First Run Force...however...a few weeks ago I achieved my longest throw with a 20mph tailwind throwing slightly downhill...at ~500 feet a struck a large oak in the center of the fairway with an ESP Meteor. Yep...it's a midrange..but throwing down wind..the thing will float forever....you can call BS if you wish...I would...but you should have seen the surprised look on my face when it went that far...and yes..it was my 3rd or 4th throw from the tee as I was warming up for the round...and no...when I tried the same shot a few minutes later when it was tournament time...it didn't go that far...only about 300 feet.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.2
Courses Played: 111
Niced 17 Times in 11 Posts

Monarchs are great fast long distance drivers. They are pretty stable, so releasing them flat gives them long glide and only a slight turnover. I also just got new R-Pro Boss' and I love them. I got a 140, 150 and 161 gram and the 140 is too unstable, but the other ones are definitely unstable but I got used to them pretty quick. They need a hyzer release and will glide on a line drive longer than Destroyers or Champ Boss'. They are tricky to throw being so light but no wind or down wind they are awesome!
Old 06-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 23
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegraham View Post
Monarchs are great fast long distance drivers. They are pretty stable, so releasing them flat gives them long glide and only a slight turnover.
?

Sidewinders have less turn and mine will become a roller if I don't give it at least a little hyzer.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 25.9
Courses Played: 84
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

not everyones arm is the same for sure...a sidewinder is nothing but a roller or anny disc for me..why do people throw in downhill on distance?...flat ground or it doesn't mean much..i can thor a putter 500' downhill, big deal..i suggest lighter weight plastic or move up the scale so to speak...try a starfire, beast, wraith...