Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 06-18-2012, 11:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Agreed on the Teebird...I've never understood why anyone would recommend it for a beginner.

As for Leo's, I'm careful recommending them for beginners. If the person is relatively strong and has decent dexterity, then ok. I still find them to be a bit much for many beginners, so I steer them toward various mids until they get a handle on things.

Johnny D.....300' with Leopards is about where they get harder to control with decent form, depending on the plastic and condition, etc. Lots of guys can push them quite a bit further. Clean form and/or some hyzer flipping are necessary to get them to their full potential.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2012, 11:59 PM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Buy 4 rocs or buzzes that way every1 has the same disc and u can improve as a grp instead of having all different discs
Old 06-19-2012, 12:05 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

I recommend that each of you get a dx shark and dx/d putter of your choice. I would say 160-170 would be perfect for the weights. If you start throwing about 200', go ahead and get a leopard and teebird. Don't get discouraged f you can't throw far or accurately at all at the beginning, you'll only get better as long as you keep playing. Have fun and welcome to the sport!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 52 Times in 33 Posts

Aviar. Comet. Leopard.

Best beginner discs.

Specialy if you allready have a ultimate disc and are somewhat used to it. The comet will fly almost exactly like the ultimate disc.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 87
Niced 40 Times in 27 Posts

The best way to learn the game is to just grab a neutral midrange like a Buzzz or Shark and use that for everything. It takes away the mental game of "what disc do I use here?" You can just use the one and learn different ways to throw it and really get a feel for it's potential. Then as your game develops, you can add in more discs.

I understand though, that some of the fun as a beginner is having a nice little set and being able to pick and choose your disc for each shot. So if you want to add in a true driver and putter, get a Leopard in the 160s and an Aviar (or Dart is fine too).

You'll also want to explore premium plastic as you play more, but to start out, the cheap DX plastic is just fine.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:02 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 6
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts

Slow
baseline
understable
lightish

any discs that fit this description will be good. don't go overboard buying discs (unless of course you want to own a ton of discs)

1 disc per person should be fine for a month or so
Old 06-19-2012, 09:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 7
Niced 50 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahyzer View Post
Mid: Stingray or Skeeter (easier for straight shots and both will handle left/right as well, and again, a shallow grip); Cobra (good intro to line shaping); Spider might a be better straight disc for beginners than the Shark (still would prefer the Skeeter for most people) unless you want a mid with stronger fade.
If you're just taking brand new player out then a disc like that is pretty much all they need. I have a small bag that I filled with old discs I don't throw anymore and pretty much every beginner I've taken out regardless of size, gender or athletic ability has had the best results from discs like that. Any of those really old drivers that are now considered mids (e.g. Stingray, Cobra) or discs that fly like that (Millennium Aurora MS, DX Spider, Skeeter) will work. If they really want to get into it then I'll refer them to the "How to Build a Bag" thread.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Get an Elite Z Buzz SS (midrange), and a Banger GT (putter). Be light on your feet, keep your chin down and most importantly have fun!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 17 Times in 12 Posts

You're gonna get bombarded with dozens of different recommendations. The following might sound like a commercial, but it's true.

Innova makes a perfect beginners pack. Three discs; a putter - Aviar, Mid Range - Shark, and a Fairway Driver - Leopard. You can buy the sets online or in many Dick's Sporting Goods. They come in 2 different types of plastic. The Champion plastic beginners pack will have sexier, heavier, translucent discs and will cost more. Champion plastic is much, much more durable. The less expensive DX plastic works just fine and many prefer DX. Also the DX pack contains lighter weight discs that may be better suited to women. That said after 5 years I still have a 150g Leopard in my bag. The beginners pack has 3 discs that are easy to throw and do a multiple of things and can put you on the right track. And best of all this beginners pack contains basically all of the types, styles, & distances that everyone will suggest.

When you get serious, that's when the, "What disc next?", fun begins.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 9 Times in 3 Posts

Do people prefer dx over champ because of the feel of the plastic, or do they fly better?