Old 08-19-2013, 04:36 PM

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default A bad disc (or run)?

I have a few discs in my bag that don't act the way I expect them to. For example, I have a Shock that is very understable and hyzer flips beautifully, while I have a Volt that hooks hard left almost as soon as it comes out of my hand (RHBH). I have a Z Buzzz that also wants to hook hard to the left and a Cryztal Z Stalker that does the same. In the case of the Buzzz and the Stalker, I owned a D Buzzz and a Z Stalker that were completely different and flew similar to what their ratings indicated.

Is it common to have a bad disc that doesn't fly anything like you'd expect? What are your experiences? In the case of the Volt and the Shock, is that how they're supposed to fly and I'm just doing something wrong? If nothing else, it seems like their flight characteristics are flipped (Shock flies like the Volt, Volt flies similar to what I think the Shock should).

I can normally throw my Orion LS and Roadrunners between 330-360 feet, but I've never topped 400 on a flat ground throw. I feel like I should have enough power/good enough form to make the Volt and Shock fly as intended.

I guess the big question is this: do I try out another Volt or is that how this thing flies?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2013, 04:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 76
Niced 173 Times in 106 Posts

OAT could be part of the problem, your discs could be different weights, the discs could have a very high or low PLH, maybe your discs are just beat in more than your used to or maybe your form is inconsistent. It really could be a number of different things or a combination there of. Also no company is perfect when it comes to producing every disc in the same mold to fly exactly the same (though some companies are better than others at this) so this is most likely a small factor also.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 89 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscinFiend View Post
OAT could be part of the problem, your discs could be different weights, the discs could have a very high or low PLH, maybe your discs are just beat in more than your used to or maybe your form is inconsistent. It really could be a number of different things or a combination there of. Also no company is perfect when it comes to producing every disc in the same mold to fly exactly the same (though some companies are better than others at this) so this is most likely a small factor also.
in addition to that. The shock you are referring to is probably a first run. These came out closer to an amp than the actual flight that should have been the shock.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:55 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do the first runs have any distinguishing markings on them? This one looks like any other MVP Neutron disc that I own, but your description sounds completely accurate. I bought it used, so not sure how old the disc is.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:58 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply DiscinFiend. I'm sure my form inconsistencies play a part, but I do practice a lot and even when I feel like I get a real nice, clean release on one of the suspect discs they still act the same way--they may just fly a little further. The only way I can really make them go for any distance is to throw them with anny, which I know is a no-no if you want to develop good form.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 229
Niced 25 Times in 14 Posts

I want your Buzzz haha
Old 08-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 39.1
Courses Played: 47
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

To the OP.
Different from the Shock problem MVP had. you are finding out how the same mold will fly differently in different plastics. Discraft has been marking diff plastics with diff stabilities and Innove has now done this with the Tern between Champ and Star.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:08 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bassman View Post
To the OP.
Different from the Shock problem MVP had. you are finding out how the same mold will fly differently in different plastics. Discraft has been marking diff plastics with diff stabilities and Innove has now done this with the Tern between Champ and Star.
I've definitely found that to be true. Does anyone know why they don't change the flight ratings between the plastics? I noticed on some discs there are special notes about their flight characteristics in each plastic, but not many do. I'm sure in some molds the differences are pretty small and it wouldn't be worth the time (and money).
Old 08-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 33 Times in 15 Posts

I feel the same way about my volt. I got a brand new one from Disc Nation just a couple of months ago, and it's super flippy.

I know people are going to say "it's OAT", but realize my primary disc is a 166 Pro Leopard, in fact by far my favorite disc is the Leopard, and I have several of them, so if I'm not flipping the Leopard I find it hard to believe I'd be OAT-ing out on a Volt. Even if I throw the volt on a hyzer it wants to turnover.

(FWIW, I also have an Axis, and that thing is money... so I'm not just an MVP hater)

Old 08-19-2013, 07:58 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDarkHorse View Post
I feel the same way about my volt. I got a brand new one from Disc Nation just a couple of months ago, and it's super flippy.

I know people are going to say "it's OAT", but realize my primary disc is a 166 Pro Leopard, in fact by far my favorite disc is the Leopard, and I have several of them, so if I'm not flipping the Leopard I find it hard to believe I'd be OAT-ing out on a Volt. Even if I throw the volt on a hyzer it wants to turnover.

(FWIW, I also have an Axis, and that thing is money... so I'm not just an MVP hater)
It sounds like we have opposite problems, haha. I expected the Volt to be a bit more like yours (though not to that extreme). Mine is like a meathook. I wonder if there was a lot of variance in one of their runs? Mine was brand new as well FWIW.