Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Other Gear

Old 08-19-2016, 10:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 118
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 72 Times in 45 Posts
Default Do shoes with Vibram soles last longer?

I've been wearing Merrell shoes with Vibram soles for quite a while and love the feel and traction. The problem is that I always wear down the soles before I wear out the rest of the shoe. My question is: "Do Vibram soles last longer than most other shoe soles?". I've heard a few people say this is the case but I'm not seeing it so just wanted to get some opinions. I've had multiple pairs of Chameleon 4s and a pair of stretch All out Blazes which are both Merrell shoes with Vibram soles. I understand toe dragging will wear out any shoe but I'm not talking about that. I'm asking about wearing down the entire sole.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2016, 11:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 49
Niced 423 Times in 291 Posts

Some do. Completely depends on the models. I have 3 pairs of Merrells with Vibram soles. Two are holding up GREAT. The last one I picked up from a Clearance Rack at the local Merrell outlet store - a pair of Bare Access Trail. These ones started falling apart within two months. I only used them for Disc Golf - changed in and out at the course, and I play 5-7 rounds a week. The bottom of the sole/tread started separating from the foam in the cushion of the upper. I otherwise love the shoe as it has great grip in all conditions, is semi-water proof, and is very light and comfortable. However, having to superglue the tread back on in two spots after every 2-3 rounds is a bummer.

Still, I'll keep buying Merrells with Vibram soles every time. My All Out Ice are the best DG shoe I've ever tried if you have a natural/turf tee course. Good on concrete, but the metal cleats are a bit loud. The things are absolute TANKS though.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 67
Niced 607 Times in 300 Posts

I can't say, as I will only buy shoes with Vibram soles. (I wrote "420" on the bottom of my newest shoes, don't tell anyone.)
Old 08-19-2016, 01:12 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 17 Times in 15 Posts

Here something to think about a quick look at vibrams website shows 27 different materials that they have available for soles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2016, 04:11 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 29
Niced 35 Times in 18 Posts

Yes, in my experience anyway. My Keen Dela's w/o Vibrams lasted about a year (2 diff pairs). I love Merrill Moabs w/ the Vibram soles. My last pair last two years.

Also, I appreciate the OP being an A.B.C fan.
A nybody
B ut
C arolina
Old 08-19-2016, 04:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 34
Niced 343 Times in 215 Posts

No. There are lots of high(er) end shoes out there.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 118
Niced 72 Times in 45 Posts

Thanks for all of the input. I was hoping for a more solid consensus but as with many things there's a spread of opinions. And oh yeah, definitely an ABC fan.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 29
Niced 27 Times in 22 Posts

Its not the Vibram part thats the fail, its the piss poor quality toddler labor made Merrells
Old 08-19-2016, 09:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.6
Courses Played: 65
Niced 504 Times in 245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
Its not the Vibram part thats the fail, its the piss poor quality toddler labor made Merrells
I'm all for better quality toddlers.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:24 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 161
Niced 1,968 Times in 937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniger View Post
Some do. Completely depends on the models. I have 3 pairs of Merrells with Vibram soles. Two are holding up GREAT. The last one I picked up from a Clearance Rack at the local Merrell outlet store - a pair of Bare Access Trail. These ones started falling apart within two months. I only used them for Disc Golf - changed in and out at the course, and I play 5-7 rounds a week. The bottom of the sole/tread started separating from the foam in the cushion of the upper. I otherwise love the shoe as it has great grip in all conditions, is semi-water proof, and is very light and comfortable. However, having to superglue the tread back on in two spots after every 2-3 rounds is a bummer.

Still, I'll keep buying Merrells with Vibram soles every time. My All Out Ice are the best DG shoe I've ever tried if you have a natural/turf tee course. Good on concrete, but the metal cleats are a bit loud. The things are absolute TANKS though.
Yeah, in my experience it has a lot to do with the tread pattern on the sole. The circular ones you see on the Chameleon type models seem to wear out a lot faster than the knobbier ones you see on the Moab types.

There may be a better option out there but it's nice to support a company that supports disc golf.