Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Other Gear

Old 09-06-2016, 04:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 78
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 30 Times in 16 Posts

I had a pair before. The soles lasted very long. The rest of the shoe gave out well before the sole. The show quality will vary from shoe manufacturer.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2016, 10:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 3
Niced 40 Times in 24 Posts

The reality is concrete tee pads tear up any and every shoes. I had a pair of merrels that went all kinds of hiking, 100s of miles of biking, martial arts, roof work and more. I loved that pair of shoes. I retired them right before I started playing disc golf. I got a new pair and DG chewed them up quick. Went back to my old pair and the bottoms got gnarled fast.

I have seen merril's quality drop over the last couple of years. Their shoes were always a little tight but comfy. I always felt confident in movement with them. Right now I have a pair of Keen's made in USA line. Really comfy and great for long hikes. But I am a little afraid for my ankles sometimes and don't always feel as confident as I did the merrels.

So long story short. Disc golf will chew through them all.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:41 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 82 Times in 59 Posts

I have great luck with $20 Wal-Mart shoes. You just have to find tread patterns that aren't going to fail catastrophically. Single piece that aren't too aggressive.

Sure, your Vibrams are going to last longer (assuming no catastrophic failure), but not 4-10x longer.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:16 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 10 Times in 7 Posts

My keens with Vibram soles are going on 2 years of strictly disc golfing. I ended up ripping a small part of the mesh upper while doing some course work, but they other than that they are still going strong. I would buy again for the $90 I spent on them. They have lasted a lot longer than every other pair of "non" disc golf purposed shoe I've had in the past.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 22
Niced 253 Times in 99 Posts

The Vibram soles fell off my Merrells. I've been much happier with Keens.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:57 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 381 Times in 193 Posts

That's the thing about disc golf shoes. You want softer rubber soles for grip, but those tend to wear out faster. You can find a shoe that is all terrain and has lots of tread depth, but the rubber is rigid. I have never been a fan because I tend to slip more with those types, especially in wet conditions. I actually prefer flat soled shoes on concrete when it's wet - at that point it just comes down to surface area, but a Samba ain't gonna cut the mustard in a mucky fairway or natural tee.

It's all just so complex

Old 10-21-2016, 04:33 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 68
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 758 Times in 521 Posts

There are plenty of good shoes out there from many manufacturers.

But I will say this; I've had 8 pairs of shoes with Vibram soles from 3 different companies. It's never been the sole that broke down first. On the 5Fingers I've had the straps or uppers usually tear off. The Timberland's just start to look like junk, they are actually still usable for yard work. The Merrills it's usually the side of the uppers by my pinky toe. For some reason on many shoes I will wear a hole there. It's very strange.