Old 04-27-2018, 05:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 204 Times in 136 Posts
Default 10M Circle: History Lesson?

Can someone please explain the rational and purpose of the 10M circle? As a new guy, it seems arbitrary, contrived, and maybe unnecessarily complicated. What am I missing?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2018, 05:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 685 Times in 492 Posts

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=102963
Old 04-27-2018, 09:39 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 161
Niced 1,968 Times in 937 Posts

My recollection is that the 10M circle was instituted to prevent people from "dunking" their putts.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,462 Times in 1,166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
My recollection is that the 10M circle was instituted to prevent people from "dunking" their putts.
A 3-meter circle would have sufficed.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:22 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 15 Times in 8 Posts

because those walkthrough putts look ugly as ... #grow_the_sport
Old 04-28-2018, 07:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBokor View Post
Can someone please explain the rational and purpose of the 10M circle? As a new guy, it seems arbitrary, contrived, and maybe unnecessarily complicated. What am I missing?
As an old guy, I agree completely. If my campaign to be named Rules Czar ever succeeds, I'll abolish it.

I can't help with the history, but I've always had the impression that it was a somewhat contrived attempt to create a green, to emulate what golf has. Make putting different than other throws---at least a little bit. Have a defined green, by definition if not physically.

Though a lot of people have argued that it's to make putting tougher---that if they could follow through, they'd never miss, or at least their percentage would be much higher. I don't buy that myself; though it would result in more made putts, I don't think it would be vastly more.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-28-2018, 11:44 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30
Courses Played: 669
Niced 1,176 Times in 553 Posts

The World record long jump was just under 10 meters at the time so I believe that may have factored into the thinking behind 10 meters.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 365 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I can't help with the history, but I've always had the impression that it was a somewhat contrived attempt to create a green, to emulate what golf has. Make putting different than other throws---at least a little bit. Have a defined green, by definition if not physically.
Agree, silly attempt to emulate ball golf. And, although 8 or 9 meters would be sufficient, 10 is just, you know, a better number.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:56 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 183 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Though a lot of people have argued that it's to make putting tougher---that if they could follow through, they'd never miss, or at least their percentage would be much higher. I don't buy that myself; though it would result in more made putts, I don't think it would be vastly more.
Based on my experience, I strongly disagree. When I started playing in college the early 1980s, we—the club was around 30 people—weren't aware of the "must demonstrate full control of balance before advancing toward the target inside 10m" rule, with the result that "get a running start, take off behind your lie, deposit the disc in the basket as you fly by" putts were the norm if you were outside of drop-in range. Typical winning scores dropped from the -12/-14 range to -1/-3 range when we found out about the rule.

It's not something most disc golfers (at least those who play by the PDGA rules) practice because it's prohibited by the rules, but with practice, jump putting (taking off behind the lie and releasing the disc before touching down) is no more difficult, and inherently no less accurate, than shooting a jump shot or a layup in basketball, or jump setting in volleyball. If the 10m circle and the requirement of a supporting point in contact with the lie at the time the disc is release were to be eliminated, I would anticipate a statistically significant increase in the percentage of first putts made by players who incorporate this style of jump putt into their toolkit.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstine View Post
Based on my experience, I strongly disagree. When I started playing in college the early 1980s, we—the club was around 30 people—weren't aware of the "must demonstrate full control of balance before advancing toward the target inside 10m" rule, with the result that "get a running start, take off behind your lie, deposit the disc in the basket as you fly by" putts were the norm if you were outside of drop-in range. .
But that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the same stance rules inside 10 meters as outside. You still have to have to be in contact with the ground, behind the lie, at the time of release; you can't be flying through the air towards the basket, then release before landing.

Niced: (4)