Old 09-02-2011, 11:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 192
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 182 Times in 118 Posts
Default "island" hole

Chuck, or someone,

Please correct me if I am wrong. There is nothing in the rules called an "island" hole. Basically what we commonly refer to as an island hole (including peninsulas, mando across, etc) are holes that the course designer or TD state you must land in this specific are or you're OB -- the "island", if you will (in most cases) designates inbounds and (usually) e everything else is OB. To me it's always been a sort of "mando IN" by the rules.

Now please don't misunderstand...I always totally get what they mean. Hole #X is a mando island. If you don't finish on the island then you go to the drop zone -- I get it. Now what happened to me recently was a long discussion and luckily for me our TD had announced it after someone brought it up. On a "peninsula" hole, I played the safe route off the tee. Then on my second shot, got a little too aggressive on the approach, and my shot hits about 15' past the basket, catches an edge and rolls away -- only to be found in the drink.

As I go to putt from where it went out, marking my 1-meter relief, someone begins to point out that I have to go to the drop zone. I said no, that wasn't my drive, it was my second shot. After only am few minutes I recalled that the TD had said during meeting that on the three such holes, it reverts to regular OB rules after the first shot

My question, though, is what if he hadn't. When a TD announces an "island" hole ... typically everyone knownwhat that mean in terms of OB/IB, but what about how to play it. Assuming the TD only says "Hole-#X is an island hole", how do you play a second shot hitting perfectly on the island, but rolling OB? Or how do you play drive that hits inbounds right under the basket then catches an edge and rolls OB ? Other similR scenarios. What do the rules say is the default? drop zone, regular OB rules, or player's choice?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2011, 11:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 192
Niced 182 Times in 118 Posts
Default Ruling on "island" holes (and similar)

Chuck, or someone,

Please correct me if I am wrong. There is nothing in the rules called an "island" hole. Basically what we commonly refer to as an island hole (including peninsulas, mando across, etc) are holes that the course designer or TD state you must land in this specific are or you're OB -- the "island", if you will (in most cases) designates inbounds and (usually) e everything else is OB. To me it's always been a sort of "mando IN" by the rules.*

Now please don't misunderstand...I always totally get what they mean. Hole #X is a mando island. If you don't finish on the island then you go to the drop zone -- I get it. Now what happened to me recently was a long discussion and luckily for me our TD had announced it after someone brought it up. On a "peninsula" hole, I played the safe route off the tee. Then on my second shot, got a little too aggressive on the approach, and my shot hits about 15' past the basket, catches an edge and rolls away -- only to be found in the drink.

As I go to putt from where it went out, marking my 1-meter relief, someone begins to point out that I have to go to the drop zone. I said no, that wasn't my drive, it was my second shot. After only a few minutes I recalled that the TD had said during meeting that on the three such holes, it reverts to regular OB rules after the first shot

My question, though, is what if he hadn't. When a TD announces an "island" hole ... typically everyone knows what that means in terms of OB/IB, but what about how to play it? Assuming the TD only says "Hole-#X is an island hole", how do you play a second shot hitting perfectly on the island, but rolling OB? Or how do you play drive that hits inbounds right under the basket then catches an edge and rolls OB ? Other similar scenarios? What do the rules say is the default? drop zone, regular OB rules, or player's choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
Chuck, or someone,

Please correct me if I am wrong. There is nothing in the rules called an "island" hole. Basically what we commonly refer to as an island hole (including peninsulas, mando across, etc) are holes that the course designer or TD state you must land in this specific are or you're OB -- the "island", if you will (in most cases) designates inbounds and (usually) e everything else is OB. To me it's always been a sort of "mando IN" by the rules.

As I go to putt from where it went out, marking my 1-meter relief, someone begins to point out that I have to go to the drop zone. I said no, that wasn't my drive, it was my second shot. After only am few minutes I recalled that the TD had said during meeting that on the three such holes, it reverts to regular OB rules after the first shot

My question, though, is what if he hadn't. When a TD announces an "island" hole ... typically everyone knownwhat that mean in terms of OB/IB, but what about how to play it. Assuming the TD only says "Hole-#X is an island hole", how do you play a second shot hitting perfectly on the island, but rolling OB? Or how do you play drive that hits inbounds right under the basket then catches an edge and rolls OB ? Other similR scenarios. What do the rules say is the default? drop zone, regular OB rules, or player's choice?
Old 09-02-2011, 11:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 189
Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

I think these are generally a course-specific style of rule. It should be stated clearly if you "have to" use a drop zone and on which shots you have to. Otherwise the drop zone should be considered an option and you still have the typical OB options to play from as well.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:07 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 46
Niced 21 Times in 11 Posts

Same thing happened in a tournament in Memphis last weekend. The TD stated before the tournament even started that he knew that this would happen and he wanted to be clear. Your teeshot has to land in the island. If not you throw from the drop zone until you do land in the island. Any shot that goes OB after you land in the island is played one meter in as a normal OB.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 189
Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olemiss5931 View Post
Your ...shot has to land in the island. If not you throw from the drop zone until you do land in the island. Any shot that goes OB after you land (safely) in the island is played one meter in as a normal OB.
I think this is commonly how island holes are played, FWIW.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:20 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

My club just put one in at our local course during a redesign. The pin is located inside a circle that is marked off with wood ties and groundcover. There is one tee, the disc must land inside the circle. If you miss, you must take your next shot (throwing 3) from the designated drop-in marker. If your drop shot does not land in bounds, but you do cross the circle, you take your next shot (throwing 5 ) from the point where it went out.

Garret
Old 09-03-2011, 01:14 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 79
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I play 2 island holes in local tourneys. And the rules can be tricky.

La Mirada Back #6 - it's a legitimate par 4, I think +600' with a lot of OB. The rules play that there is a drop zone if you are OB on your first throw. From there you mark from where you went OB. So if you shoot for the island and land short then you mark back on the other side, but if you fly over the back then you can mark from where it went off the back of the island (unless of course that was your first shot).

The reasoning here is that the island is ridiculously small. It is a 50' long strip but only 8' wide.

The other hole is Whittier Narrows #10 which is a relatively short par 3 that plays to a small square of grass in the middle of a parking lot. They play that if you pass over the island in the air and go out you can mark from island. Again this island is tiny. Although it is symmetrical it is still smaller than the 10m circle.

So both of these holes you don't even have to scrape a blade of grass on the way OB to get the mark on the island.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:44 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30
Courses Played: 669
Niced 1,145 Times in 545 Posts

You always have the default options for your next lie after going OB except when the options are restricted by the TD. If the TD simply says a hole is an island hole, that doesn't have any restrictive meanings on what to do if you go OB UNLESS the TD actually specifies the common restriction that you must retee or sometimes there's a drop zone.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:31 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 30
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
You always have the default options for your next lie after going OB except when the options are restricted by the TD. If the TD simply says a hole is an island hole, that doesn't have any restrictive meanings on what to do if you go OB UNLESS the TD actually specifies the common restriction that you must retee or sometimes there's a drop zone.
What about Re-teeing? Can you just play it as a lost disc and shoot for three from the tee? It'd be silly to do so, since there's a drop zone. I'm sure the question gets brought up a lot since most drop-zones are better than the tee.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:33 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30
Courses Played: 669
Niced 1,145 Times in 545 Posts

You can always use the Optional Rethrow rule 803.06 at any time to play from your previous lie with a one-throw penalty if you don't like the drop zone.