Old 12-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 9
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 3 rules questions

1. my tee shot landed in the water close to the bank. When I got up to it I discovered the disc had landed on a little muddy outcropping from the bank. So looking along the bank everything is under water except this little spot I hit. In bounds or still ob?

2. On another hole my disc landed in a parking space but right up in the corner. The spot where my disc came to rest was covered with dirt and grass. If you dug under my disc two or three inches you would find asphalt. That one parking spot was not being maintained and the grass was encroaching on it. In bounds or ob?

3.Last one.
When the hole in question has the basket in the short position there is asphalt ob behind it and to one side. When the basket is in the long position it is on a small rectangular island a little past the short position completely surrounded by asphalt. When you shoot for the long basket you have to lay up before the asphalt or go over the asphalt and try to land on the small rectangle. My question is would the disc be considered ob if I park the disc on the small rectangular island (long position) when the basket is in the short position?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 23
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

1-Not ob
2- OB
3-Not OB (but a horrible shot nonetheless)

Disclaimer- I'm no rules expert, but this is what I would call my own shots if I was out playing a fun round with some buddies
Old 12-09-2011, 12:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 47
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Personally, I would call all 3 in...but I feel like 2 would prob be OB
Old 12-09-2011, 12:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 71
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

1 - not OB
2 - OB
3 - not sure... the area is only in play when the basket is in that position. you would essentially be rewarded/spared penalty stroke while someone who just barely went OB past the basket would be penalized.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 84
Niced 16 Times in 12 Posts

1 = not OB.
2 = take a photograph and a provisional and ask the TD after the round.
3 = take a provisional and ask the TD after the round.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:43 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30
Courses Played: 669
Niced 1,176 Times in 553 Posts

1 - Somewhat of a trick question because water is not OB unless specified. So "not OB." Even if water is OB in this case, disc would not be OB unless the bank itself was defined as the OB line. Might be tricky taking your 1m relief and stance with neither foot OB to play your next throw depending on how high/steep the bank is. If you can't take a proper stance then you might have to call an "optional rethrow" resulting in a penalty and throwing your shot again.

2- OB. The ashpalt boundary defines the OB area.

3 - Play it as inbounds unless posted course rules or TD specifies the island is OB when pin is short.

BTW, video, audio or photographic evidence will not be allowed to help with, verify or make rules calls per the new Q&A on this that will be official starting January 1.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:46 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 828
Niced 25 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post

BTW, video, audio or photographic evidence will not be allowed to help with, verify or make rules calls per the new Q&A on this that will be official starting January 1.
Any reasoning behind this? Seems like a questionable ob call where the thrower took a provisional pending TD's call would be cleared up a lot easier with a picture of the lie.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:36 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30
Courses Played: 669
Niced 1,176 Times in 553 Posts

I argued that all evidence should be allowed, but so far, the PDGA Board disagrees. There will be more on this issue coming up in 2012 so stay tuned.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 101
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
I argued that all evidence should be allowed, but so far, the PDGA Board disagrees. There will be more on this issue coming up in 2012 so stay tuned.
It sounds like the Board is borrowing a page from FIFA on this, and I'd guess the argument is the same.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 101
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesouthfla View Post
2. On another hole my disc landed in a parking space but right up in the corner. The spot where my disc came to rest was covered with dirt and grass. If you dug under my disc two or three inches you would find asphalt. That one parking spot was not being maintained and the grass was encroaching on it. In bounds or ob?
One more thing. It seems that his disc was resting on dirt and grass, and whether or not asphalt was underneath wasn't immediately apparent. In order to verify that his disc was in fact above asphalt, someone would have to disturb the course (dig a small hole/tear up the grass) in violation of 803.05 F. Chuck, how would you resolve this apparent conflict?