Old 12-01-2017, 09:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 29 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
Got a beat in Star 153g Sidewinder arriving tomorrow...given to me by a board member!!!

My plan is to have my bag set with: this Sidewinder, Teebird, Leopard, Comet, Stratus, Roc, Mirage, Pure, and putter.

TripleB
That sidewinder is pretty beat it really should be an excellent disc for ya, please give us your findings after ya toss it!
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-02-2017, 03:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts

Went out to a baseball field today and worked on my form for about 2 hours with various disc...most successful day I've had in finding out what a solid throw feels like. Using much of what has been suggested to me here on my form I really gained a lot of consistency and length with my disc.

I start on the balls of my feet, start my first steps slower than in the past, use the X step now, left-right-X with left-good stride with right, right foot more left of target than I had been (board member here said my left toe and right heel should line up towards target so that's what I tried to do today), and pull disc across my body. I feel like I'm getting much more power behind my shots by adding the X step and having my body turned more towards the left.

I know it's working because today I threw my Comet X about 25 feet further than I threw my Leopard 3 weeks ago. I didn't measure it today but I'm guessing about 255 feet dead straight with my Comet X today.

That being said I'm not ready for a 10 speed disc yet (at least at the weight I used today): I tried an Avenger SS 164g X-Line since I was throwing well and it landed about 20 feet shorter than my Leopard. I also tried a 158g Star Tern that went further with a better flight than the Avenger, but again, no further than my Leopard.

Tried my 165g Sidewinder DX and it flew slightly further than my Leopard and I loved the flight of it. Can't wait to try the 153g beat in Star I should be getting very soon.

I still miss my Leopard3....thinking of getting a Star or GStar Leo3 in the 163-167g range....although with my speed improving maybe I should try the River in Opto. Any thoughts?

Anyway, I love seeing progress and love sharing my progress....especially since many of you are the ones who have guided me to the strategies that have increased my progress so much faster than what I would have gained on my own!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!

TripleB

Old 12-02-2017, 05:29 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 895 Times in 408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
I still miss my Leopard3....thinking of getting a Star or GStar Leo3 in the 163-167g range....although with my speed improving maybe I should try the River in Opto. Any thoughts?
If you liked that Leopard3, just get another one and build on the progress you made. (Though I understand the pull of that glidey Swedish plastic.)

Good job on putting in the work and congrats on making progress.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-02-2017, 05:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 727 Times in 384 Posts

Rivers are a lot more nose angle sensitive, IME, than leopards

Old 12-02-2017, 06:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,940 Times in 749 Posts

Yep, get another Leopard3. River has the potential to be frustrating. Not a bad disc at all, but I'd stay the course.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 22
Niced 2,111 Times in 903 Posts

I've had lots of Leopards in different plastics and they all flew like Leopards. Some a little more stable of course, but none were freaks.

I have owned 3 Rivers, every one was something different (may have just been my luck, or lack there of). To be honest, I have no Idea what a true River is really supposed to fly like!

I'd try and FD (and have) before I would ever go near another River.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 29 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
I've had lots of Leopards in different plastics and they all flew like Leopards. Some a little more stable of course, but none were freaks.

I have owned 3 Rivers, every one was something different (may have just been my luck, or lack there of). To be honest, I have no Idea what a true River is really supposed to fly like!

I'd try and FD (and have) before I would ever go near another River.
It wasn’t your luck haha, I had four rivers none even close to each other in stability. They ranged from hyzer flip to roller (more flippy than a thrashed dx San Marino stingray), to almost teebird overstable. I threw two In the river fittingly lol and gave the other two away. Picked up some ce qjls and never looked back.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 103
Niced 261 Times in 136 Posts

I've had 3 Rivers in various plastics and they are not at all alike. The one I have now is frost or whatever their bubble tech is and it's the most overstable of the three. If you throw it right it glides like nobody's business but get that nose up and you have a newbie hyser. I thought I read it's for beginner players but I'd have to disagree with that.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:41 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
If you liked that Leopard3, just get another one and build on the progress you made. (Though I understand the pull of that glidey Swedish plastic.) Good job on putting in the work and congrats on making progress.
Thank you very much! I love working on something when I see improvement...and with everyone's help here I'm seeing improvement by leaps and bounds!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysmike View Post
Rivers are a lot more nose angle sensitive, IME, than leopards
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
Yep, get another Leopard3. River has the potential to be frustrating. Not a bad disc at all, but I'd stay the course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
I've had lots of Leopards in different plastics and they all flew like Leopards. Some a little more stable of course, but none were freaks. I'd try and FD (and have) before I would ever go near another River.
Thanks for the advice....looks like I should go with the Leopard3.

My Leopard3 was 168g in the DX plastic. Should I go with the DX again at 168g or maybe a better plastic at possibly a lighter weight in order to get the same flight out of the better plastic (I assume DX is the least stable DX plastic)?

Again, I appreciate everyone's help and patience!

TripleB

Old 12-03-2017, 04:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 727 Times in 384 Posts

Personally, I'd go G-Star.. and stay about the same weight. It'll be a bit more stable (most likely), but will break in fairly fast.. and stay there longer than DX