Old 06-02-2020, 06:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.2
Courses Played: 122
Niced 4,063 Times in 1,566 Posts

In at least one case the host city (not the promoters) itself was balking-just too much uncertainty. The amount of preparation that goes into a successful Major is insane- exponentially more than a smaller event. We literally worked on USWDGC for 17 months prior to the event including 2 of us making it basically a full time job the last couple of months. To do something like move a Worlds event to a different venue on just a couple months notice would be a seriously difficult ask.

I know if i were involved in running one this year I would welcome the cancellation. To put in all the work and then have it not be able to be viewed in its best light would suck. I expect these events next year to raise the bar with all the added prep time.

I was set to attend in Tennessee this year and will do so next year. It's a bit disappointing- this would have been my "rookie" year in MP55 and (as all the old guys know) the time to shine is when you move up a division in age. Oh well. I am confident that the decision for cancellation was taken after much hand wringing and gnashing of teeth and don't begrudge anyone one bit the choice that was made.
Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2020, 08:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 84
Niced 40 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnick View Post
Seriously?

NHL, NBA, MLB (if they can agree on money), and NFL plan on being back by September or earlier...these are sports with monumentally higher numbers of players in contact with each other....NASCAR is already back...and disc golf can't pull something off this year?

This is a joke and shouldn't be dependent on foreign players being there...there are lots of foreign NBA players for instance...and some of the best foreign disc golf players are already here...so please don't make that an excuse...it doesn't hold water...and if some can't make it, oh well....it doesn't make World's less relevant ..as how many foreign players have actually won?

This is a cop out...maybe because they wanted to honor the World's being in Utah in late September when the tour will be on the East coast and players didn't want the hassle...

But to say it couldn't happen due to virus or that international travel in September would make it marginalized is a complete joke...

They could easily make GMC into World's in September and then do Utah next year as they now have planned....

People are playing disc golf almost everywhere right now, even in New York where all the courses in my area are now open...how is it that in 3 months they can't pull off a big tournament (with or without spectators)?
You can't have a WORLD Championship when nobody in the WORLD can travel to play your event. And you are an idiot if you think that since a couple people can meet up and play a public disc golf course, that a gigantic weeklong tournament can take place without issue. Why don't you host your own Worlds in your hometown with the people playing in your area, I am sure you will put on a hell of an event.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-02-2020, 08:42 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 82
Niced 235 Times in 78 Posts

I never said it wasn't a logistical mess to host a tournament. I just believe that it could be done. And should only be cancelled as an absolute last resort. The Masters is still happening this year for a more direct analogy sport.

They are planning on playing DGPT events before September; these are also big events, why are these still scheduled but Worlds is cancelled?

A few extra foreign players, by the way, is not an acceptable answer. Lizotte and other non-US players are actually here anyway. Also, the NBA has more foreign players than enter Pro Worlds. Would it be the same? No. Would it still be a worthy major? Yes.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:51 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 541 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
I never said it wasn't a logistical mess to host a tournament. I just believe that it could be done. And should only be cancelled as an absolute last resort.
We about a month to a month and a half out from these events (actually pro worlds was schedule a week from this Saturday June 13th) and registration never open.

This was the last resort.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-02-2020, 09:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.2
Courses Played: 253
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 6,768 Times in 2,322 Posts

Quote:
I never said it wasn't a logistical mess to host a tournament. I just believe that it could be done. And should only be cancelled as an absolute last resort. The Masters is still happening this year for a more direct analogy sport.

They are planning on playing DGPT events before September; these are also big events, why are these still scheduled but Worlds is cancelled?

A few extra foreign players, by the way, is not an acceptable answer. Lizotte and other non-US players are actually here anyway. Also, the NBA has more foreign players than enter Pro Worlds. Would it be the same? No. Would it still be a worthy major? Yes.
I don't think you have any idea what is involved in hosting a World Championship. Often, those who have not participated in the process of an event like this....heck, even a large A Tier for that matter, seem to think the mountain of logistics, sweat equity and volunteers are magic. Your comparison to the multi billion dollar sport industry seems to highlight the lack of depth of your understanding.

Though referenced, foreign players are only one small reason, among the myriad of issues that forced this decision. Most of which, IMO, are simply common sense to protect disc golfers from themselves.

I have NO idea why the DGPT is moving forward, I think the decision is foolhardy, dangerous and a joke. IMO, it should have also been cancelled. But, from my understanding DGPT is a privately owned small business, while the PDGA is a member supported non profit organization. I would venture a guess that this is part of why they have made different decisions. Worlds are also a much bigger "event" than DGPT events. World typically have a ton of ancillary activities associated with the event. DGPT events are much smaller in terms of participants and associated events.

I know you are taking some heat for your opinion and I guess it was born of the frustration we all feel, at this point. But, the sacrifices will continue and we all are going to feel like we are just giving and giving up many things we love. I honestly believe tournament play, including Worlds will be part of the "new normal", on the other side of a vaccine. The extra time might be good to put in some extra course work, join a club, start a league or help run a few local tournaments.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 26.2
Courses Played: 106
Niced 358 Times in 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirepizza View Post
Hopefully Paul planned accordingly
I'd be scheduling that surgery now if I were him...

I guess it needed to happen, but that doesn't make it less of a gut punch. Really out of all of the tournaments to have, Worlds is probably the most important, and the fact it is not even happening at all in 2020 is a real bummer.

Fast forward to 2021 first round in Utah - it will be emotional. Will anyone take this for granted again?

Niced: (1)
Old 06-02-2020, 11:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.1
Courses Played: 127
Niced 7,110 Times in 2,638 Posts

I doubt if anyone wanted Worlds to happen, more than the people who made the decision to cancel them.

Old 06-02-2020, 11:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 214
Niced 767 Times in 453 Posts

Serious question (and I do not think PDGA addressed it):

With the moves, do all the same (as much as possible) logistics apply in 2021 as we would have had in 2020? Or do the 2021 regulations apply to all the events in 2021 at the original 2020 venues?

I am speaking specifically of the determination to make 2021 the first year of combined masters worlds, all pro masters+ and amateur masters+, with Am Worlds ONLY being MA1 & FA1. See https://www.pdga.com/news/amateur-ma...-starting-2021.

Basically since I'll be 60 in 2021 I just want to know if I'll be in Florida or Tennessee (if I can hit the computer fast enough) -- or possibly BOTH!
Old 06-02-2020, 12:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 46
Niced 5,731 Times in 2,360 Posts

So when we getting a 1x Coronavirus World Champ signature disc?

Old 06-02-2020, 12:41 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 71 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:

A lot of sport events have been moved to 2021 instead of 2020.

Olympics
Wimbledon
European Soccer Championships
World Athletics Championships
World Swimming Championships
... I'm sure I can find a lot more as, for example, the Disc Golf European Open or the European Disc Golf Championships (EDGC)

Comparing the World Championships to the NBA, MLB and NFL is the worst thing you can do. The DGPT can be compared to these, not the Worlds.

For the foreign participation, as the Worlds only happen in the US, the European players seem to care a lot more about the European Championships than the Worlds. By the way, there were 29 countries represented at the last EDGC, three times more than at Worlds...
Make the Worlds in Europe and you'll see a ton more interest by European players.

The PDGA made the right move once again.

Niced: (2)