Old 06-09-2021, 11:39 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 51 Times in 47 Posts
Default Putting: How Do You Feel In the Legs vs. Arm?

Hopefully this is the last putting thread I have to make!

So, title says most of it.

I'm pretty sure, at this point in time, that when I putt I start the putt my moving my shoulder forward to get weight onto my front foot.

For those of you guys that are good putters - would anybody happen to be able to break down how they feel in their legs vs. how they feel in the arm when they putt? A long while back Sidewinder said the leg kick starts the putting motion but I'm wondering if there's any *conscious* movement of your putting arm?

Do you just keep the upper body still, kick the leg and then let the sequence happen naturally or is there a step I'm missing somewhere? I look at a lot of top pro putters but even at .25x speed it's hard to tell exactly what is happening sequentially so maybe you guys will be able to provide some feedback!

Love all of you crazy chuckers
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2021, 11:47 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 211 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zphix View Post

I'm pretty sure, at this point in time, that when I putt I start the putt my moving my shoulder forward to get weight onto my front foot.

For those of you guys that are good putters - would anybody happen to be able to break down how they feel in their legs vs. how they feel in the arm when they putt? A long while back Sidewinder said the leg kick starts the putting motion but I'm wondering if there's any *conscious* movement of your putting arm?

Do you just keep the upper body still, kick the leg and then let the sequence happen naturally or is there a step I'm missing somewhere? I look at a lot of top pro putters but even at .25x speed it's hard to tell exactly what is happening sequentially so maybe you guys will be able to provide some feedback!

To me it feels just like a drive conceptually. I get an almost entirely limp arm moving like a pendulum, then add to it with my arm a bit when it feels right. I had a lot of trouble feeling this on the putting stroke, one thing that helped me a lot was keeping my thumb off the flightplate until it HAS to go on. I am trying to ween myself off of this because I don't think it is optimal, but it helped me from detaching my arm from the wave of motion a whole lot.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-09-2021, 01:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 936 Times in 480 Posts

I think the motion is just like shooting a free throw underhanded. If you were to underhand a basketball from your center to the basket, how would you use your legs
Old 06-09-2021, 01:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 6
Niced 936 Times in 480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingBoats View Post
To me it feels just like a drive conceptually. I get an almost entirely limp arm moving like a pendulum, then add to it with my arm a bit when it feels right. I had a lot of trouble feeling this on the putting stroke, one thing that helped me a lot was keeping my thumb off the flightplate until it HAS to go on. I am trying to ween myself off of this because I don't think it is optimal, but it helped me from detaching my arm from the wave of motion a whole lot.

I actually really like this. Josh Anthon does this on his drives and I feel like I’ve seen him do it on some longer putts. He’s one of the best putters of all time

Niced: (1)
Old 06-09-2021, 02:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.2
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,707 Times in 2,297 Posts

Quote:

I spin putt, so I simply feel groovy in the legs and arms.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:32 PM
Birdie Member

I also watched a video recently and I cannot remember who did it, I'll try to find it. The video allowed me to use a new mental 'wrapper' around my putting form, concentrating on the follow-through pointing at my line. It also covers finding a stance by rocking back and forth so you can be comfortable moving everything from the ground up straight forward to the line.

I had previously been using the feeling of the back of the disc being thrown toward my line as my...aiming mechanism? I've kind of moved into visualizing where my hand needs to end up in the follow-through, and it is much, much easier to aim this way, and also lets me know when a putt went bad before it even gets halfway to the target.

But, the motion for me is definitely lower body focused. My pre-putt is the same as my pre-drive lol, a rocking back and forth until I feel it, then one of those rocks I go. Before I putt I am rocking my front foot from heel to toe, and back foot from grounded to toe. When I detach my arm from that overall shift in weight/balance, its just...comically bad.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,648 Times in 683 Posts

Usually achy, tired, and sick of my ****ty putting

Niced: (2)
Old 06-09-2021, 03:49 PM
Par Member

Niced 71 Times in 52 Posts

I'm more of a spin putter. The back leg does a push during the forward swing, but it's really subtle. You really only need a small push off the back leg to get a lot of energy to the putt. When people focus on pushing off of it hard it screws up the timing. Pushing hard doesn't necessarily mean that the timing screws up, it's just more likely to.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2021, 02:00 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 51 Times in 47 Posts

Row,

Your idea actually inspired me - you isolated the thumb so I decided to isolate my shoulder. I spent about an hour in my backyard not moving my arm to putt until I literally took a walking step forward and it helped me feel the "release" at eye/chest height.

A buddy of mine told me after the tags round yesterday that it seems like I putt reallllyyyyy hard which I think is true from 3+ years of trying to muscle the disc into the basket.

Do you guys feel a hard push or just a very smooth, almost painfully slow rocking motion in your putts?

Old 06-10-2021, 02:27 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Row,

Your idea actually inspired me - you isolated the thumb so I decided to isolate my shoulder. I spent about an hour in my backyard not moving my arm to putt until I literally took a walking step forward and it helped me feel the "release" at eye/chest height.

A buddy of mine told me after the tags round yesterday that it seems like I putt reallllyyyyy hard which I think is true from 3+ years of trying to muscle the disc into the basket.

Do you guys feel a hard push or just a very smooth, almost painfully slow rocking motion in your putts?
Warning: I am talking out of my ass

I am not one that likes to learn skills and just do it by pure feel. I think some people are like this with great results, but I like to analyze and have mental concepts about the actions I am taking in a skill.

One of the key realizations I have had for putting seems to be related to what you are asking. When I putt, I know instantly whether I did it right or not based on the feeling of smoothness, to me my good putts are silky, buttery smooth. One of the hugest things I have found that causes this to occur or not occur, is how long I hold onto the disc. If I hold the disc too long, the stroke is detached from the bigger movement of my body. The follow-through in my putt is really small, but it has to actually be a follow-through; a movement that continues AFTER my release, in the direction of my line.

I don't even know if this makes sense, people might strongly disagree also, I really don't know. I do know that for me, if I am artificially forcing actions in the putt, I tend to be holding onto the disc way too long and doing something straight up ridiculous with my hand because of it.