Old 06-13-2019, 01:04 PM
Par Member

Niced 62 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
But where does one draw the line of a reasonable attempt to reach a disc owner?
I think a reasonable attempt is texting the phone number and/or searching for the pdga# on dgscene and sending them a message.

If they don't have a dgscene profile, then you made your attempt. And it took less than a minute.

Edit: And I should note that if you don't have a dgscene profile, you might not be able to send messages so this route may not be feasible in those situations.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2019, 01:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 155
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 433 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateWesternSky View Post
I agree with everything else you said and I myself have had someone find my disc 6 hours away from where I lost it.

But I just want to make a point that some people don't write their phone #s on discs because they don't want their phone #s out there. And some people don't contact others because they don't want their phone #s out there. Dgscene doesn't have any phone numbers involved.

Most dgscene course pages are littered with people saying what disc they lost and where they lost it. That website truly provides a lost and found for disc golf.
Not putting a phone number to protect privacy is fine. Just don't expect people to go to a lot of trouble trying to track you down.

As another poster mentioned, a dog walker found his disc. Do you think a dog walker would even know what PDGA# means? Or that they would be familiar with discgolfscene?
Old 06-13-2019, 01:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.2
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 972 Times in 347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
As long as you realize that not putting your phone number means if that stranger finds your disc, your chances to get it back go way down.
What?!?!?

Why didn't anyone tell me that before?

Thanks for clearing that up!

Niced: (1)
Old 06-13-2019, 01:20 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
Not putting a phone number to protect privacy is fine. Just don't expect people to go to a lot of trouble trying to track you down.

As another poster mentioned, a dog walker found his disc. Do you think a dog walker would even know what PDGA# means? Or that they would be familiar with discgolfscene?
I put my phone number on my discs, I just wanted to say some people don't. Obviously someone who only puts their pdga # knows it won't be returned by a non discer. Infact, I bet most discs aren't returned by non discers even if your phone number and address are on the disc.

And searching on dgscene is no trouble at all. You go to a website, click on the search box and type the number. If they have a profile, you can send them a message.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 155
Niced 433 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateWesternSky View Post
I put my phone number on my discs, I just wanted to say some people don't. Obviously someone who only puts their pdga # knows it won't be returned by a non discer. Infact, I bet most discs aren't returned by non discers even if your phone number and address are on the disc.

And searching on dgscene is no trouble at all. You go to a website, click on the search box and type the number. If they have a profile, you can send them a message.

What I was trying to explain is that I am a disc golfer and if the only thing on a disc is a PDGA number, I am not spending a moment of my time on a computer trying to track down the owner. I spend 50-60 hours a week on a computer for work. I spend 0 hours a week on computer when i am not at work.

I appreciate that you think dgscene is easy to use. It may not be so for less technology inclined. Regardless, if i can dial a number at the moment i find the disc i will. Beyond that I am not spending my limited free time trying to track down an owner.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:35 PM

Courses Played: 24
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I tracked down a guy by PDGA # one time. Pain in the ass, won't be doing it again. If there is a number, I'll text it. If there is a name, I'll ask around a bit with the regulars.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:29 PM
Par Member

How were you able to track down someone with pdga # if you didn't use dgscene? PDGA website and look for tournys they signed up for?
Old 06-13-2019, 07:40 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 26.1
Courses Played: 92
Niced 121 Times in 45 Posts

Quick story: a couple of weeks ago a buddy loses a disc, someone posts on a local FB page that they found it but has a PDGA # and no phone #, 2 min later someone else posts a screenshot from PDGA page with my buddy’s name, soon after I tell my buddy about it, he PMs the finder and gets his disc back. No private info shared to the world. PDGA #s can work just fine.

True story.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 148
Niced 547 Times in 235 Posts

I'm in charge of sweeping the lost disc lockboxes at 3 of our local courses. Everything gets taken to the local shop, and the folks at the shop make the calls. It's a busy shop, as they do screenprinting along with DG related sales, so they may not get to calling on all of them for a week or two. I'll often drop 30-40 discs/week, and the one's with no info, or just a PDGA # automatically just go into the bins to be picked up. They have other things to do than try to look someone up by their PDGA #, it's a big enough pain in the a** trying to contact people with full mailboxes, illegible info, or old phone #'s.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:13 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 64
Niced 75 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigga View Post
So I gather then that if I find one with just a PDGA # on it, I no longer need to care about trying to return it. The owner isnt interested in being contacted. Check.

For ones with numbers, knowing how I am about answering calls from numbers I don't recognize, I send a text to the phone # with a pic of the disc and take it from there. Every reply I've gotten from doing this has resulted in a returned disc, and every disc of mine that was found that I received a text about, I've gotten back.
Couple weeks ago I received a pic of a disc and told them exactly where I'd lost it, and they laughed and stated it was at a completely different course. So someone had found it, not bothered to text or call, played with it and lost it themselves (had only been missing a few weeks) and someone else found it and contacted me and I got it back.

Thanks to all that take the 10 secs it takes to snap a pic and text it! And GFYS to those that find discs with a local # and name and just keep it.
Careful....seems like more and more public figures are getting trouble for haphazardly sending disc-pics around

Niced: (2)