Old 06-14-2019, 11:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 527 Times in 389 Posts
Default I finally got to play with a Pro!

I know many others that have stories of catching a pro on the course. I haven't had that chance .....until this week. I am playing in the MN MAJESTIC this weekend, on Tuesday I got out to play a local league after work. As I pulled up Gregg B was there. I was lucky to be on his card and give the hole descriptions - It was a good time. I shot decent, Gregg is an amazing putter. I know I've seen it on video but to see it in person is other worldly. It was a good time and if I play well enough tomorrow I may be on a card with some other big names. Kinda cool

Anyone else have these experiences?
Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2019, 01:57 PM

Niced 22 Times in 12 Posts

Greg is one of the most approachable pros and is easy and fun to hang out with. Cool guy who loves to play and talk about disc golf!

Old 06-17-2019, 11:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 5
Niced 672 Times in 473 Posts

I've got a few friends that aren't entirely pro but I've been lucky enough to grow up around them... it's kind of cool when they are a mellow decent dude that just happens to be way better at disc then everyone else. Most of the guys I know aren't a big deal as far as video and finals.

I play with three guys regularly that are sponsored or associate team members.. Known em for well over a decade. Also Steve Mawdsley who is one of the Cortes (really small island) guys won the World's in Amateur back in 2016?ish. I always appreciated the time he spent trying to help me groom my throw and my course before he took a **** kicking amount of injuries. He actually used to pump me for info because I'm on here a lot.

A definite highlight was playing a casual round with Glenn Whitlock (Whitler?) I don't know if that's the nickname or just the disc the Snap guys made for him. He came up to my place and didn't want to play for skins, he said if he's playing for money it's a much more serious and less fun round. The guy showed me how to beat my rotating basket by putting flat into it and having it drop straight off the guard. Haha tricky bugger. Real nice, low key dude. Foxbat!!!

The Snap boys are all pretty cool too, not really pros but big shout out to Matt from Snap... he sold me (gifted essentially) a first run LE ESP Comet after I bagged a long and lone ace at the provincials in Langley probably 2014ish. From Mike in Nanaimo I also have a prototype plastic run of the Whitler, less durable but less bouncy nicest one I've ever thrown that I probably shouldn't haha.

Barsby would be an awesome guy to play with!!!!! I'd love to see him toss a Roadrunner. I found him very likeable after the Climo iron leaf rant.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 06-17-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.3
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 654 Times in 258 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

"Back in the day" I got Steve Wisecup as a doubles partner on a Friday before a tournament. (I was the "B" player)
My very first round of my very first tournament I was on the card with Sam Ferrans. THAT opened my eyes to what you can do with a disc.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:24 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 628 Times in 540 Posts

I played with a low level Latitude 64 Pro play Justin Cournoyer before from Rapid City at the Quad K in 2007 during his 2 or 3 year of playing disc golf, we either tied or he beat me by a tad in the Intermediate or Rec division. He was using mostly Discraft with a single Latitude 64 disc, The XXX or Stiletto whatever driver was out in 2007. In fact it is so bad in my State with the Swedish trillogy brand due to him and another Pro Kyle Pinkman (formerly an non sponsored Discraft player) Who was a Pro level Dynamic Disc player before they purged a bunch of players from the team. That those in the state that have seen there bags have copied them, more Justan's bag as he is still a pro . Kyle was at several of the tournaments I was at but never on my card as he was Pro and I am not. I can see the easy switch from Discraft to Dynamic Disc as a bunch of Discraft discs were copied by Dynamic Disc including the Challenger. Kyle Pinkman does the best grenade/knuckle shot I have ever seen due to Richmond Lake disc golf course in Richmond lake State Park near Aberdeen, SD.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 5
Niced 672 Times in 473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
I know many others that have stories of catching a pro on the course. I haven't had that chance .....until this week. I am playing in the MN MAJESTIC this weekend, on Tuesday I got out to play a local league after work. As I pulled up Gregg B was there. I was lucky to be on his card and give the hole descriptions - It was a good time. I shot decent, Gregg is an amazing putter. I know I've seen it on video but to see it in person is other worldly. It was a good time and if I play well enough tomorrow I may be on a card with some other big names. Kinda cool

Hey so any good pairing on your round? How did you fair? Congratulations on the Alias Ace!!! Did you run into any more Pro's?

Old 06-18-2019, 10:49 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 7
Niced 139 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post

I was at the majestic too, drove down to spectate for my first time. I followed Greg and Kevin’s card for the 1st round, and it was such an amazing experience. Kev was just as much everyone’s hype man as he’s described, and Greg was super down to earth.

After the round I got to play 2/3 of the course with Jamie Espinoza, who was on chase card with Greg. Hes a super nice guy and a great golfer. It was crazy to watch him carve up BRP while the course kicked my butt.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:49 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 472 Times in 191 Posts

Whilst they don't often come to our sceptered isle I've been fortunate enough to play with a number of World Champs, Avery, Nate, Val, Johnny Baldwin plus others and lots and lots of European "pros" Out of all I've played with Ville Piippo has probably impressed me the most with shots I just could not imagine being possible.

Tony Ferro who's just won the Quarry Park Open is an awesome guy, so much fun to play with and really positive.

The one that got me this weekend was Blaer the 17 year old Icelandic phenom you've seen on Central Coast Disc Golf (he's developed a big arm since then!) He is doing an exchange with our new up and comer Noah Smithson (15 and soon to be British #1) It was just great watching the two of them after a full weekend of mixing it with the big boys just playing and playing and playing, all sorts of stupid frisbee related games having a laugh and not wanting to stop throwing, it made me want to be young again!

Niced: (2)
Old 06-20-2019, 09:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.1
Courses Played: 99
Niced 455 Times in 172 Posts

JohnE McCray is coming to Joralemon tonight for a clinic.......... hoping to play some holes with him beforehand.

We had Sarah Hokom last year and it was really cool to play some golf with her. She's good people.

Niced: (2)

Old 06-20-2019, 03:35 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 38.1
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 178 Times in 85 Posts

when i first started i met Steve Wisecup and David Greenwell and got a few tips in 81'-82.but then moved from the area and mostly played solo rounds if there was a course or carried my discs to a park and threw them in open areas at objects for the next ten years.

in 94' i was playing a new course (Two Rivers) in Nashville having just moved to the area. a guy walked up from nowhere (which scared the crap out of me because we were in an open area and i didn't see or hear him approaching) and asked if he could join me for the round. he had 2 drivers and 2 putters. i teed first on the next hole with my proto Aero about 200' and he proceeded to throw the most amazing drive i ever witnessed. lefty with a 150 cyclone and ran the basket at over 400 ft. turns out it was Bob Vanderboss and i got a lesson on what could be done with modern discs on an open course! dude made every putt withing 50' and drew metal on almost every upshot. it was also the first time i had ever witnessed a 360 drive.

of course Bob won the Masters division at Worlds next year but that demonstration really opened my eyes to the exploding disc golf scene and solidified my passion for disc sports.