Old 08-08-2017, 09:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,928 Times in 1,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Seriously? People were complaining about that? Ridiculous is an understatement. Uh helloooooo - it's the Ledgestone PRESENTED BY DISCRAFT...
Ams complaining about anything compensation-oriented at a tournament that boasts a player pack worth more than the entry AND has generous payouts for top finishers is beyond silly.

However, I will say that complaints of this nature (the "wah, it's <insert manufacturer here> only" stuff) are an inevitable byproduct of having such extraordinarily huge payouts. I mean, if you're talking most people shopping for $20-40 worth of discs/towels/bags/etc, they'll grab a couple items, probably tourney stamped, and generally be fine with it even if it's not "their" company.

But when a whole bunch of people are trying to spend hundreds of "disc dollars" (projected payout shows 357 players set to win at least $100), there's only so many Buzzzes and Nukes they can buy before they have more than they could ever need...and they still have more to spend. And the same argument applies if it's Rocs and Teebirds or Truths and Judges instead of those Discraft models.

MA1 winner was projected to get $1300 worth of merch. With that much product, he can either seed a small retail store, stock a tournament all by himself, or fill a few storage bins full of discs that will collect more dust than dings. No matter what company we're talking or even if there's a wide selection from multiple companies, that's arguably too much for anyone.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 08-08-2017, 09:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,338 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Ams complaining about anything compensation-oriented at a tournament that boasts a player pack worth more than the entry AND has generous payouts for top finishers is beyond silly.

MA1 winner was projected to get $1300 worth of merch. that's too much for anyone.
FTFY

Niced: (3)
Old 08-08-2017, 10:08 AM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,190 Times in 605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
FTFY
This.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-08-2017, 11:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 213
Niced 306 Times in 181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by @iDiscGolf View Post
Holy crap hole 6 for the fpo that was not fun to watch. +17 for the card

And on the flip side. I thought the men's mpo I saw star framed it?

That's wild
They were on different courses. There's probably some hole numbers that the women beat the men on as well, because of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Just again..trying to understand the rating system. One thing that I would like 100% clarity on, at Ledgestone based on what I've read the FPO division was not rated against anything the MPO division did, is that correct? If so...then moving forward why wouldn't the FPO division always be rated in this way? Regardless if they did or did not play the same course/layout, as the MPO field? Thx for the comments btw, much appreciated.

Dave, the hardest thing for people to understand about the ratings system is actually the simplest thing: Points in = points out, for all propagators in the same pool. At this event, MPO and FPO were in different pools. No different than a tournament where MPG and MG1 are in different pools.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-08-2017, 01:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.1
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:

However, I will say that complaints of this nature (the "wah, it's <insert manufacturer here> only" stuff) are an inevitable byproduct of having such extraordinarily huge payouts. I mean, if you're talking most people shopping for $20-40 worth of discs/towels/bags/etc, they'll grab a couple items, probably tourney stamped, and generally be fine with it even if it's not "their" company.

But when a whole bunch of people are trying to spend hundreds of "disc dollars" (projected payout shows 357 players set to win at least $100), there's only so many Buzzzes and Nukes they can buy before they have more than they could ever need...and they still have more to spend. And the same argument applies if it's Rocs and Teebirds or Truths and Judges instead of those Discraft models.

MA1 winner was projected to get $1300 worth of merch. With that much product, he can either seed a small retail store, stock a tournament all by himself, or fill a few storage bins full of discs that will collect more dust than dings. No matter what company we're talking or even if there's a wide selection from multiple companies, that's arguably too much for anyone.
this is why every manufacturer needs to introduce a motorized disc golf cart. $1299.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-08-2017, 01:18 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 840 Times in 404 Posts

Quote:

It's not too much for me. I would be happy to get a huge pile of discs.
This would end up being about maybe 80ish discs (just guessing)? If nothing else, get a bunch that you think you can resell.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:38 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 46
Niced 108 Times in 79 Posts

To be blunt, those baskets are horrible.

One of the first things I noticed when I started watching the tournament was that the chains appeared to have less density than what I have normally seen. The spit-outs confirmed my suspicion. I feel bad for Ricky and everyone else who had a good putt rejected.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1,852 Times in 751 Posts

The objective has always been to get the disc in the basket with or without the help of the chains. If the chains are too thin make adjustments. These guys can adjust for weather conditions, types of courses, different types of tees etc. They can adjust to different baskets therefore I don't really feel sorry for them.

The spit outs I recall were folks hitting the chains high left. Adjust to lower right like everyone else is doing. You can't make a simple adjustment like that maybe you don't have the skills to win that tourney. Maybe your putting is just crap that day. Who knows.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.1
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd 81 View Post
To be blunt, those baskets are horrible.

One of the first things I noticed when I started watching the tournament was that the chains appeared to have less density than what I have normally seen. The spit-outs confirmed my suspicion. I feel bad for Ricky and everyone else who had a good putt rejected.
It's hard for me to feel bad for Ricky, or Nikko for that matter. Those two regularly have spit outs that other players don't. All players have some, but Ricky and Nikko run at a higher level. That means they're doing something different. That would suggest they rethink, and neither does. At least for the past year.

If your expectation is that the equipment accommodate you, well, maybe it will, but probably it won't.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:00 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,263 Times in 1,664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
It's hard for me to feel bad for Ricky, or Nikko for that matter. Those two regularly have spit outs that other players don't. All players have some, but Ricky and Nikko run at a higher level. That means they're doing something different. That would suggest they rethink, and neither does. At least for the past year.

If your expectation is that the equipment accommodate you, well, maybe it will, but probably it won't.
Ricky putts hard, even when he's fairly close up, which I think contributes to some of his spit-outs.