Old 08-07-2019, 11:18 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.9
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,737 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Well, you can do all sorts of things with X-tier permission.

If you can get it.
Pretty much anything goes to easily get X-tier approval. It's whether the format would produce ratings is usually the question. My proposed format is normal medal play under PDGA rules so no problem producing ratings. Ams are not getting paid cash and pros are. The only restriction is age and we have Master and older player Majors already.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2019, 01:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,058 Times in 621 Posts

Quote:
We do.

The guy rated 800 aspires to be the world champion, the best in the world, of......what?
The 800 guy is having a blast hanging out with guys his own age, playing a sport he loves. He knows he is never going to be the best in the world or beat the higher rated guys. Now, all of a sudden...tell him he has a chance to be the best in a group of similar rated players, that are STILL in his same age group, he's not only having fun, but he's thinking, maybe for the 1st time in his career he has a chance to place much higher. This gives the player a new found excitement, I don't see how you don't think this a good thing for ams to experience.

Now the old dude rated 900-940+, sure those guys are in it to win it and truly aspire to be the best locally, regionally, in the world, etc. With the proposal I am making, nothing will change for that player...at all.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-08-2019, 07:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,633 Times in 1,570 Posts

Not in a world championship. That's not a championship of anything, just a win among peers. Note that the 800 rated younger guy doesn't get that chance, either---there's no world championship for him. He can play AmWorlds in a division where he has no chance of winning, but have fun and try to beat as many people as he can.

Should disc golf grow thirtyfold so that there are tournaments for specific divisions---an Intermediate tournament, an MP50 tournament, and so on---that are filling, so enough players, the PDGA can revisit splitting divisions for regular tournaments.

I'll sidenote that I have firsthand experience. I'm 60; no tournaments this year so I've never played older than the MA50 division. My rating has crashed, currently 854 but that's only bolstered by some old rounds; I'm playing about 830 golf these days. So you're talking about people like me.

As demonstrated earlier, this was tried about a decade ago, in both regular tournaments and some "championships", and wasn't popular. I don't see it working any better today. At some point, people like me have to face the fact: I can play among people I can beat, or I can play with my age group, but I'm not entitled to demand both.

Niced: (3)
Old 08-08-2019, 09:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,058 Times in 621 Posts

Quote:
Not in a world championship. That's not a championship of anything, just a win among peers.
Why not, all of the other divisions are based on ratings. But my main interest is not worlds, I will concede to that.

Quote:
...I'm 60; no tournaments this year..
With all due respect, I'm not talking about players who only play a few tournaments a year. My first hand experience with the am grandmaster division (over 100 tournaments) has lead me to this conclusion based on player feedback. The only time I ever hear anything remotely negative about this proposal is once in a while someone says "nah, I don't want the field to be smaller and affect payouts."

But..the conversation has run it's course, thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,633 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Why not, all of the other divisions are based on ratings. But my main interest is not worlds, I will concede to that.
And I will concede that outside of Worlds, it's just an issue of having enough players. I was originally quoted from a comment I made specifically about worlds.

Perhaps some of the mega tournaments (Bowling Green, etc.) have fields large enough that the age-protected divisions could be further subdivided by rating, providing the opportunity you seek and enough players in each subdivision to be worthwhile. As might some of the Masters-only events.

(P.S. I used to play a lot more tournaments; I've played at least 50 in age-protected divisions, myself. It's just the last 2 or 3 years I haven't, which is why I have old rounds still in my ratings).

Old 08-08-2019, 04:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,403 Times in 423 Posts

I'm just wondering when the definitions of "competition" and "tournament" got watered down to mean "everybody gets to play with who they want, and only compete against people they deem fair to compete against"

The thing is - I don't begrudge anybody choosing their preferred card for a casual round, or a tag round with bets, or hell even a PDGA League (since divisions are mostly pointless there anyway). However the participation trophy mentality around disc golf TOURNAMENTS is really silly. Ams expect to get more than they paid in, people are unhappy if they're not the favorite to win a 4-person division, etc.

Rather than constantly trying to re-define a word that people understand globally, maybe some golfers should ask themselves if tournament competition is really for them? There's so many more avenues to compete at the level of seriousness that you desire, maybe a PDGA sanctioned event isn't the right place if you need so many accommodations...

Niced: (3)
Old 08-08-2019, 05:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 15
Niced 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
I'm just wondering when the definitions of "competition" and "tournament" got watered down to mean "everybody gets to play with who they want, and only compete against people they deem fair to compete against"

The thing is - I don't begrudge anybody choosing their preferred card for a casual round, or a tag round with bets, or hell even a PDGA League (since divisions are mostly pointless there anyway). However the participation trophy mentality around disc golf TOURNAMENTS is really silly. Ams expect to get more than they paid in, people are unhappy if they're not the favorite to win a 4-person division, etc.

Rather than constantly trying to re-define a word that people understand globally, maybe some golfers should ask themselves if tournament competition is really for them? There's so many more avenues to compete at the level of seriousness that you desire, maybe a PDGA sanctioned event isn't the right place if you need so many accommodations...
Absolutely. Your post sums up my frustration with disc golf tournaments and the PDGA in generally.

My suggestion: Men, Women, Am Men, Am women.

Plus the age restricted masters at 50 years old.

But,

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Old 08-08-2019, 05:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.9
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,102 Times in 420 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Winning AMs is like winning the NIT in college basketball. The team gets to go around with their chest puffed out yelling.."We're #65, We're #65"!!

Old 08-08-2019, 06:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 24
Niced 525 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Winning AMs is like winning the NIT in college basketball. The team gets to go around with their chest puffed out yelling.."We're #65, We're #65"!!

#70 this year with the play-in games.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:27 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.9
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,737 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post

Winning NCAA March Madness is not really much better than the NIT because #1 in College B-Ball is like winning MA1 versus the NBA title. And winning the NIT is more like MA2. Should we ignore winners of Division 2 and 3 B-ball titles? Is winning a High School State championship like winning MA3 or MA4 in an A-tier?

While winning something called the World Title in any sport should probably be reserved for only the top open pro level, and really have competitors from around the world, not primarily the U.S., there's certainly a place for other kinds of championships that bring together the best in some category however you slice it whether by age, gender, country, Pro/Am (suspect), league level and even ratings.

Winning a competition for the Red level title, and repeating, is more of an accomplishment than most of the other slices because everyone in that competition is verified to be at your skill level that year, presuming no one below red level is allowed to enter that division. And if limited to age 40+, there are likely few if any phenoms quickly rocketing up the skill ladder on their way to white, blue and beyond. And fully agree there's no need to call it a World title, just a Championship moniker of some sort.