Old 04-11-2017, 08:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.4
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 219 Times in 136 Posts

i recently threw an orange rocx3 just to see how it would compare to my old z wasps and buzzz os. into a 15mph headwind, it flew somewhat similar to my wasps but had some minor HST,thrown flat it tracked right a smidge and then held straight and landed straight. My wasp flew similar but it was seasoned and finished with more LSF. the buzzz os was much more HSS and LSS than the rocx3 so it didnt really compare. the rocx3 feels good and is a nice stable roc but i wouldnt call it the most OS roc ever,the 01 CE's and the 4x kenny glows are the most os rocs ive ever thrown.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2017, 02:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 20
Niced 43 Times in 28 Posts

Agreed. I have a few usdgc ranchos that make this look like a standard roc 3. I sort of regret throwing one now. At least I traded it for something I do throw.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:43 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzteC View Post
I never understand when people compare a midrange to a driver... or a driver to a putter...why not compare it to another midrange?
I don't understand why this is an issue for you?

Why not just think about how the driver flies, then think about a mid range disc doing that same flight for a shorter distance.

This doesn't relate to the stuff above, but how great would some nice Mcpro rocx3s be? I think it would be cool if they could maintain some stability for a little while and cycle nicely.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 163
Niced 1,172 Times in 577 Posts

Stupid plus rims.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 31
Niced 283 Times in 146 Posts

As the name would imply, these are definitely more Roc3 than Gator. About the same HSS, and a hair more LSS than my champ glows or metal flake Roc3s. They want to finish about the same amount left (RHBH) as a fresh old KC Roc, but get there straighter at first, then with a more nose-up fade.
I'll probably not be saving my extras, aside from the thrower I tested.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 78
Niced 106 Times in 65 Posts

Proto Stars are on discgolfcenter 15 left

Niced: (1)
Old 04-19-2017, 04:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Niced 805 Times in 368 Posts

Good lookin' out!
Thanks!
Snagged a 180g pink
Old 04-27-2017, 07:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Niced 805 Times in 368 Posts

I did some field testing between:
180g Champ Roc3
180g domey Star Rancho
180g Champ RocX3

RocX3 is definitely the most OS out of the bunch.

There were mild headwinds (10-ish mph and slightly gusty) but the RocX3 did just fine. Held a straight line right through the wind. The other two molds were flipping a little.

The fade was noticeably more in the RocX3, it obviously wanted to kick in and flare to the left. The cool part was that it was a late fade and glided very well while it was fading. It didn't dump left, it carried left and covered more ground.

Oooooh that glide! The glide surprising. The RocX3 consistently went 20' further than the other two. Pretty cool considering it feels identical to a Roc in the hand.

I don't really like Champ plastic. I throw it when I need durability or overstability but that's not very often. I much prefer DX/Pro-D/KC/XT/etc. Having said that, this Champ plastic feels better than most. It was very slightly soft and is very grippy, noticeably more than the Champ Roc3. Still, I'm very interested in auditioning a DX and/or XT RocX3. Even if the DX or XT makes the bag I'll still carry a Champ for those shots that call for a really overstable, durable disc. Like when you have to scramble out of the rough by crashing a tomahawk through a bunch of branches; perfect for Champ.

All in all this seems like an obvious addition to the bag for me. It just clicks for me. Its a little surprising how little chatter there is about this disc.

hopefully this is helpful for somebody else

Niced: (2)
Old 04-27-2017, 09:35 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.4
Courses Played: 117
Niced 31 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
I did some field testing between:
180g Champ Roc3
180g domey Star Rancho
180g Champ RocX3

RocX3 is definitely the most OS out of the bunch.

There were mild headwinds (10-ish mph and slightly gusty) but the RocX3 did just fine. Held a straight line right through the wind. The other two molds were flipping a little.

The fade was noticeably more in the RocX3, it obviously wanted to kick in and flare to the left. The cool part was that it was a late fade and glided very well while it was fading. It didn't dump left, it carried left and covered more ground.

Oooooh that glide! The glide surprising. The RocX3 consistently went 20' further than the other two. Pretty cool considering it feels identical to a Roc in the hand.

I don't really like Champ plastic. I throw it when I need durability or overstability but that's not very often. I much prefer DX/Pro-D/KC/XT/etc. Having said that, this Champ plastic feels better than most. It was very slightly soft and is very grippy, noticeably more than the Champ Roc3. Still, I'm very interested in auditioning a DX and/or XT RocX3. Even if the DX or XT makes the bag I'll still carry a Champ for those shots that call for a really overstable, durable disc. Like when you have to scramble out of the rough by crashing a tomahawk through a bunch of branches; perfect for Champ.

All in all this seems like an obvious addition to the bag for me. It just clicks for me. Its a little surprising how little chatter there is about this disc.

hopefully this is helpful for somebody else

I completely agree with your assessment of the disc and the fact there isn't enough talk about it. Maybe it's too new and hasn't gotten in enough players hands yet.

This is by far my new favorite disc. Tons of glide and stability. It's quickly become one of my most thrown Rocs and really completes my midrange setup. It feels just like any other Roc3 but I have 100% trust it will hold the same line over and over in anything but extreme headwinds. I picked up two Proto Stars but haven't tried those yet. They feel exactly the same as the CFRs so I expect the same flight. Excellent disc. If your a Roc thrower I highly recommend you try one.

Niced: (1)

Old 04-28-2017, 02:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 30
Niced 672 Times in 332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter View Post
I completely agree with your assessment of the disc and the fact there isn't enough talk about it. Maybe it's too new and hasn't gotten in enough players hands yet...If your a Roc thrower I highly recommend you try one.
The biggest problem has been finding them. I'd love to get my hands on one of these, but they're just not available. I wish these would go into full production.