Old 12-15-2017, 09:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.8
Courses Played: 124
Niced 1,113 Times in 552 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I really think kids under the age of about 14 - 16 play free actually makes sense for P2P courses, particularly those that have a tough time generating the volume needed to cover costs.

I can see how a guy on a tight budget might be hesitant to go to a course with his kids if he's gotta pay for all of them... might go to the free course instead. This also helps grow their future customer base.
One P2P course in my state once charged a player extra for his non-playing son, who was, I don't know, about 8 years old, and just going to walk with Dad. The furor got back to the local scene, in which the father was active. Not real good for the P2P's business.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2017, 12:51 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 62
Niced 74 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Though a few folks have dreamed of a Disc Golf Country Club, I think the model others hope to follow is less like golf, and more like other activities---a pay-to-play athletic venue. Of course, lacking the social benefits you describe, it won't command nearly the money.
Brackett's Bluff is the closet thing I've seen to a DG country club setting. I can't be sure, but I would guess that Dave may break even or turn a modest profit most years, but the land the course sits on was inherited and taxes the only cost besides maintenance. If you factor in his time it is probably as profitable as being a sleep away summer camp counselor (less than a dollar an hour) in what it pays him.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:21 PM

Niced 19 Times in 13 Posts

SInce “free” courses are paid for by tax payers and “p2p” courses are paid for by individual players, what do y’all think of changing the nomenclature:
Community paid courses
Player paid courses
Is it possible that reframing the discussion,both on the boards and more importantly in the media (read podcasts) have an affect on the disc golf culture over time? This is an old coot kind of comment, but I wish I could get the concept of nothing’s for free into the “disc charger” crowd
Old 12-17-2017, 12:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 267
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 942 Times in 534 Posts

I see what you're driving at, but what about public park courses that are P2P?
They're partially subsidized by taxes, but if you don't pay the additional park entry fee (and in some cases a separate DG fee) you ain't playing. That's that case with many of the courses around here. They aren't exactly player paid, nor community paid.

They'd cost even more to play if the parks didn't receive any public funding... much like a municipal golf course vs. a country club.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 12-17-2017 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.8
Courses Played: 124
Niced 1,113 Times in 552 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I see what you're driving at, but what about public park courses that are P2P?
They're partially subsidized by taxes, but if you don't pay the additional park entry fee (and in some cases a separate DG fee) you ain't playing. That's that case with many of the courses around here. They aren't exactly player paid, nor community paid.

They'd cost even more to play if the parks didn't receive any public funding... much like a municipal golf course vs. a country club.
This.

Plus the fact that privately-owned P2P courses are paid for by someone other than the players, too.

Oh, the players pay part of the load. But if you're paying $5 or $10 to play on a golf course or ski slope or other commercial facility, you're not paying for the land or infrastructure. The golfers and skiers are. If you're paying to play in someone's yard, you aren't, either.

And to further blur it, if you don't want to include those costs on P2P courses, many of those free-to-pay public courses aren't paid for by taxpayers, either. Yes, the taxpayers pay for the land, but in a lot of examples the course itself---the baskets, teepads, signs, and upkeep other than mowing---were paid for by local disc golfers.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-17-2017, 11:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.2
Courses Played: 77
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Doubtful that any of the "disc charger crowd" really pay attention to media of any kind.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:16 PM

Years Playing: 19
Courses Played: 158
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 17 Times in 12 Posts

[QUOTE=discNDav;3252534]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.chainslove View Post
We had a short run at a P2P in Louisville, the heralded Coyote Trace. It was on it's way to becoming a top 20 course on this site (4.64 at 21 reviews). I would have gladly given $200-$300 for an annual membership. Sadly, the riffraff caused its demise after maybe 6 months. The owner was an awesome guy but he couldn't keep up with the rule-breakers (showing up without a tee time/permission, littering, acting like idiots, etc). Once he kicked out a few bad apples, one of these vindictive dip****s alerted the county officials who then tried to rope the owner into some costly re-zoning BS. I don't know if this was the exact reason for shutting it down QUOTE]

I played Coyote once and loved it, I predicted it as a future top 10. I heard on this site they had EAB problems with Ash trees and flooding problems so it had to close. Since you seem
to be a local, maybe that's the true story.

Yep, both of those were factors that contributed to the shutdown.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 93
Niced 15 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
You'll know P2P has truly become financially viable when some outfit opens multiple course locations under its label and then franchises their model like Putt-Putt Miniature Golf. Maybe that will happen in Maine first?
"Destination Disc" runs most of the top-rated Colorado courses you see in the top 20 list here. All P2P.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 39
Niced 81 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP Mountain Man View Post
Rollin Ridge in WI appears to be doing well. I would attribute some of that to the fact that they have a clubhouse with Pro Shop, food, and alcohol. And proximity to population base.

Can't imagine a private course being profitable without a lot of diversification. Food, drink, gear, lodging, tournaments, leagues, full service for every possible need. NO WAY a $5 or $10 green fee can come close to covering a fraction of costs. IMO the bar has been set way too low for greens fees.

I own a private course that is not pay to play at this time. But even if it was pay to play, the only days that would come anywhere near being profitable would be the days that I took off and didn't go to my course. Because those days cost me less...

Reality is, charging a nonminal $5 green fee would probably cost me more than letting people play for free. For reference, I live an hour away from my course. And my course is hours from a population base.

Fortunately, I didn't go into this for the $$$, I'm doing this because I love disc golf, and I was able to acquire a suitable property, and build some holes, and share my love of the game with my family, friends and new friends I have yet to meet. While leaving a positive mark on this planet after I'm gone.

I sure wish a petty and jealous local was correct about me being a billionaire dg course owner becoming a famous trillionaire off of of my courses SIGH!
Lmao now you're literally pulling sh*t out of your ass hahahahaha I never said that lololol

Old 12-20-2017, 08:04 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 39
Niced 81 Times in 48 Posts

Oh and by the way, I am not jealous of your garbage, unsafe crisscrossing clusterf**k of holes you've got going on over there. Gonna laugh so hard when someone sues you cause they got cranked in the head with a 14 speed on your #-shaped fairways xD

I won't deny, however, I was petty that out of spite for me not taking any more of your holier than thou lectures and standing up for myself, that you needed to steal a dg project from me when you got your own massive plot of land. Oh well just goes to show your true colors to me.