#11  
Old 03-26-2020, 03:53 PM
Twmccoy Twmccoy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 2,683
Niced 944 Times in 729 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocBottom View Post
Of my Sheriff's the Fusion was the most understable, so I favored the Lucid more. DD did just come out with the Lucid-x Sheriff that would be worth a try for more stability.
I agree. I've thrown a couple fuzion Sheriffs. They're easily the longest of DD's plastics. Wildly flippy, but super glidey and long. That plastic also seems to beat in pretty quickly. Anyone looking for consistency probably won't want fuzion plastic.

I'm going to add a suggestion of champ Katana to my last post. A heavy champ Katana will handle 450' power. Just be sure to get one that has a dome. Flat ones don't go anywhere.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-26-2020, 04:10 PM
Jbultman Jbultman is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 253
Niced 19 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I throw the Torrent. Its definitely worth a look. For me a Torrent is like a very slightly less stable Nuke. I'll bend a bit right, but isn't really flippy. Something like a star Boss or ESP Nuke might be worth looking into as well.

For 450'+ power you're going to need something with a little beef.

The Sheriff was suggested. It could work, but probably only if thrown with hyzer.

D3 and Shryke would probably be too understable. D2 might work.

A Corvette might be an option as well. Very fast, and able to handle big power.

One last observation: I've thrown several Ballista Pros. I agree that they can have a dumpy late fade. However, as they beat in they start to lose the heavy fade. Ballista Pros can even become somewhat flippy over time. They definitely aren't the most reliably overstable disc out there.
I have a super beat ballista pro, still overstable. Great amount of glide, a little uncontrollable at times, still that dumpy finish though.

What do you like about the torrent? How far do you throw?

Ive tried the D2, used to carry it with pd2s but its still too stable for what I want.

Didnt think about he star boss...

Never thrown a corvette, I know its new anyone with experience?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-26-2020, 04:16 PM
Twmccoy Twmccoy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 2,683
Niced 944 Times in 729 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbultman View Post
I have a super beat ballista pro, still overstable. Great amount of glide, a little uncontrollable at times, still that dumpy finish though.

What do you like about the torrent? How far do you throw?

Ive tried the D2, used to carry it with pd2s but its still too stable for what I want.

Didnt think about he star boss...

Never thrown a corvette, I know its new anyone with experience?
I top out at about 450'. A couple of my Ballista Pros are somewhat understable. They'll flex out and don't seem to have a hard fade. I fully agree with you that a newer Ballista Pro will fade hard though. I sometimes can't even get those to turn.

I like the Torrent because I can rip it as hard as I want and it'll flex to the right without being overly flippy. The fade isn't overly harsh either.

I'm struggling with Corvettes. I have 3 stars. 2 175s and a 167. I thought the 167 would be flippier and have more glide. Nope. I can still punch the Corvette out for big distance, but its a surprisingly beefy flier. Someone with your power could probably massacre it though.

Have you tried a DD2? I've thrown a couple of those lately and liked them. Perfect amount of high speed turn. They flex out, but won't flip over entirely. Capable of huge distance too.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-26-2020, 04:46 PM
Jbultman Jbultman is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 253
Niced 19 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I top out at about 450'. A couple of my Ballista Pros are somewhat understable. They'll flex out and don't seem to have a hard fade. I fully agree with you that a newer Ballista Pro will fade hard though. I sometimes can't even get those to turn.

I like the Torrent because I can rip it as hard as I want and it'll flex to the right without being overly flippy. The fade isn't overly harsh either.

I'm struggling with Corvettes. I have 3 stars. 2 175s and a 167. I thought the 167 would be flippier and have more glide. Nope. I can still punch the Corvette out for big distance, but its a surprisingly beefy flier. Someone with your power could probably massacre it though.

Have you tried a DD2? I've thrown a couple of those lately and liked them. Perfect amount of high speed turn. They flex out, but won't flip over entirely. Capable of huge distance too.

Ill have to take my super beat BP out and compare it to the fuzion sheriff I have.

What plastic BP are you throwing? I have all Optos, maybe gold line would be less dumpy?

What weight and dome should I look for in the corvette? Torrent?

Nope never tried a DD2. Ill grab one and give that one a go too.

Have you tried a ballista? Same hard dumpy fade?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-26-2020, 06:35 PM
Twmccoy Twmccoy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 2,683
Niced 944 Times in 729 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbultman View Post
Ill have to take my super beat BP out and compare it to the fuzion sheriff I have.

What plastic BP are you throwing? I have all Optos, maybe gold line would be less dumpy?

What weight and dome should I look for in the corvette? Torrent?

Nope never tried a DD2. Ill grab one and give that one a go too.

Have you tried a ballista? Same hard dumpy fade?
All my Ballista pros are opto. All 3 Corvettes I have are flat. I'd like to find a domier one. My Torrent is 174 and has a good dome.

I've tried quite a few regular Ballistas. They tend to be on the understable side. For your power range it'd probably be too flippy. Very long, but hard to control.

I think a DD2 might be what you're looking for. That or a Torrent. Both are very long, have a little high speed turn, and will handle 450'+ throws. Raiders or Giants are also options.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-26-2020, 07:37 PM
Jbultman Jbultman is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 253
Niced 19 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
All my Ballista pros are opto. All 3 Corvettes I have are flat. I'd like to find a domier one. My Torrent is 174 and has a good dome.

I've tried quite a few regular Ballistas. They tend to be on the understable side. For your power range it'd probably be too flippy. Very long, but hard to control.

I think a DD2 might be what you're looking for. That or a Torrent. Both are very long, have a little high speed turn, and will handle 450'+ throws. Raiders or Giants are also options.
I guess between the DD2, Torrent, Ballista or Corvette... Which one flies like a star wraith?
From my research the raider and giant are going to have that hard fade, drop like a brick finish too.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-26-2020, 10:22 PM
Twmccoy Twmccoy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 2,683
Niced 944 Times in 729 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbultman View Post
I guess between the DD2, Torrent, Ballista or Corvette... Which one flies like a star wraith?
From my research the raider and giant are going to have that hard fade, drop like a brick finish too.
The Raider doesn't have a very dumpy fade. I have 5 of them (all fuzion) and they have a mellow fade. The Raider is definitely a mold you need to check out. If you have a friend who has one, borrow it and throw it a few times. I'd say the same about the Torrent. Not a really harsh fade.

Corvette flies like a Wraith for me, but (obviously) way faster.

The issue you run into is throwing 450'+ and wanting a disc that doesn't fade much. Problem is, you'd end up with a somewhat flippy disc, and you'd be flipping it over hard with that power. To throw a disc that far and keep it flat you're going to need something with a fairly substantial late fade.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-26-2020, 11:52 PM
GripEnemy's Avatar
GripEnemy GripEnemy is offline
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: PA
Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,322
Niced 1,219 Times in 608 Posts
Default

Cannon is a great one-mold maxD driver. 5years are STUPIDLY overstable, more +1/5 than the -3/3 of "flight charts" while Howitzers are closer to somewhere between the -1/4 0/3 numbers when fresh. Legends are typically -1/3 to -1/2 range. Production runs vary plenty, among plastics/domes/weights/etc but it's easy to find a "real" -3/3 in there somewhere as well. If not immediately some wear will properly show it.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-27-2020, 10:42 AM
Twmccoy Twmccoy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 2,683
Niced 944 Times in 729 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
Cannon is a great one-mold maxD driver. 5years are STUPIDLY overstable, more +1/5 than the -3/3 of "flight charts" while Howitzers are closer to somewhere between the -1/4 0/3 numbers when fresh. Legends are typically -1/3 to -1/2 range. Production runs vary plenty, among plastics/domes/weights/etc but it's easy to find a "real" -3/3 in there somewhere as well. If not immediately some wear will properly show it.
I've had lousy luck with the Cannon, for the reasons you mention here. You have no clue what you're getting. A bad Cannon is really overstable, glideless, and short. I've thrown several such discs. Also with the Cannon, the flatter the disc the more overstable its going to be.

A good Cannon is something like 14, 5, -2, 3. You get one of those and it'll fly as far as anything.
Reply With Quote
 

  #20  
Old 03-27-2020, 12:59 PM
GripEnemy's Avatar
GripEnemy GripEnemy is offline
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: PA
Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,322
Niced 1,219 Times in 608 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I've had lousy luck with the Cannon, for the reasons you mention here. You have no clue what you're getting. A bad Cannon is really overstable, glideless, and short. I've thrown several such discs. Also with the Cannon, the flatter the disc the more overstable its going to be.

A good Cannon is something like 14, 5, -2, 3. You get one of those and it'll fly as far as anything.
Fun fact the 5years are also SUPER domey. Most pop topped discs I've ever owned (have three I believe).

I rarely ever play courses where I utilize their distance on three or more holes, so typically one or none in my small bag and 1-3 in my large. Have a small stack of those good ones you mentioned, opaque 167 aqua blue Pinnacles (6ish). But yeah, if someone can't guide you in the right direction buying Cannons can be a bit of a crap shoot. Makes sense though, the wider the rim and more weight spread across less of the disc should result in more variations. Especially with the *dead horse* lack of quality control in disc producing facilities.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Distance Driver search? Jbultman Discs 12 12-04-2019 11:11 PM
Average distance variance between putter, mid, fairway and distance driver. gammaxgoblin General Disc Golf Chat 31 07-29-2018 02:02 PM
My bag, in search of the go to driver snowren24 Bag Suggestions & Feedback 14 01-16-2012 03:25 PM
Mid and putter distance vs driver distance Hamilton Technique & Strategy 35 05-05-2009 12:11 PM
in search of a fading driver 33tango Discs 32 11-07-2008 02:48 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.