Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 04-26-2020, 07:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 952 Times in 734 Posts
Default Wave

I'm sorry, but I have to bring this hunk of junk up again. The Wave simply isn't a good disc. I threw another one yesterday (probably my 6th one). This was a lake find. Beautiful condition. I had it in the field against some other drivers.

The thing simply doesn't fly. Its too flippy to really lean on. I had to put a LOT of hyzer on the Wave to keep it from corkscrewing over. I think out of about 25 throws I had one legitimately good one. All the rest were somewhat to very flipped over. I wasn't able to get any sort of gentle S curve out of the Wave. As soon as it started flipping, it stayed there for the whole flight. The disc would drift right with absolutely zero late fade.

I hate this mold, and I feel it flies like a much crappier version of the Tern. Its like the Wave wants to be a long disc, but is too flippy to be thrown hard. Every once in a blue moon I'll hit the Wave just right and it'll be a legitimately good looking shot. Then I'll mess it up 10 times in a row and remember why I don't like the mold.

I can think of no less than 15 similar molds that fly 100X better than the Wave.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-26-2020, 11:13 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,158 Times in 963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I'm sorry, but I have to bring this hunk of junk up again. The Wave simply isn't a good disc. I threw another one yesterday (probably my 6th one). This was a lake find. Beautiful condition. I had it in the field against some other drivers.

The thing simply doesn't fly. Its too flippy to really lean on. I had to put a LOT of hyzer on the Wave to keep it from corkscrewing over. I think out of about 25 throws I had one legitimately good one. All the rest were somewhat to very flipped over. I wasn't able to get any sort of gentle S curve out of the Wave. As soon as it started flipping, it stayed there for the whole flight. The disc would drift right with absolutely zero late fade.

I hate this mold, and I feel it flies like a much crappier version of the Tern. Its like the Wave wants to be a long disc, but is too flippy to be thrown hard. Every once in a blue moon I'll hit the Wave just right and it'll be a legitimately good looking shot. Then I'll mess it up 10 times in a row and remember why I don't like the mold.

I can think of no less than 15 similar molds that fly 100X better than the Wave.
Wave is an MVP disc right?
Old 04-26-2020, 11:20 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Niced 1,158 Times in 963 Posts

Wahoo, Everyone hates the Wahoo and only use it due for others (not me) being a better water floating disc then the odd R-Pro style DX Dragon. I think that is due to the 6 Glide on such a fast driver, the mold is in a Stiff R-Pro so one good hit to a tree and the mold flies so US the mold wants to fade way off to the right and never return.

This has got to be a hated disc for one reason or another be it the plastic, even the limited run Blizzard Champion is hot garbage not lasting due to being in current Blizzard plastic or the glide number on such a fast disc if they actually do not mind an usually stiffer R-Pro for a driver disc.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:37 AM
Carolina Crusher's Magic Man

Years Playing: 11.6
Niced 67 Times in 25 Posts

I can't stand the Innova Roc in any type plastic. Maybe if I played with it first, however someone gave me a Discraft Buzzz in 2009 and then now I only shoot Dynamic Disc Truth's.

Old 04-27-2020, 08:56 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 19
Niced 70 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaWayneHester View Post
I can't stand the Innova Roc in any type plastic. Maybe if I played with it first, however someone gave me a Discraft Buzzz in 2009 and then now I only shoot Dynamic Disc Truth's.
Yeah I feel like the Roc is just one of those discs that you either love it or hate it. I love it. I also love the Buzzz and Emac. all are great mid ranges.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 952 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaWayneHester View Post
I never liked Rocs until I tried a champion Roc3. I'm not a fan of the bead on Rocs. I just found the Roc3 more dependable than the Buzzz. Once you get used to throwing it you forget about the bead altogether.

I like flat mids too. I won't throw a domey Roc, and I fully agree they feel like crap in your hand. The Roc3 is probably the only variety I'll even mess with.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:20 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 101
Niced 854 Times in 410 Posts

Quote:

I like flat mids too. I won't throw a domey Roc,...
XT Rocs are extremely flat and the only ones I throw.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 41
Niced 814 Times in 494 Posts

Quote:

It's a great driver for people with lower arm speed, but no it certainly is not intended for someone like you who can consistently rip it 400'+. It is one of my personal top three driver molds but again I'm a guy who most days tops out at 350'. Also, it really is a disc that flies much better in Plasma than the other plastic offerings due to the extra dome that Plasma has.

Despite loving the Wave I'm not carrying it currently. My most worked in Trespass has beat into Wave-like stability, so the Wave is out of the bag for now. But if I ever lose that Trespass then I'd be perfectly fine tossing the Plasma Wave back in. It finished straight for me at my arm speed. Basically flies a 11/5/-2/2.

Old 09-09-2020, 09:39 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 146 Times in 101 Posts

Any MVP/Axiom drivers
Theory mid
Blowfly
Archon
Manta
Wombat3
Lycan
Dominator