Old 04-06-2017, 04:52 PM

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 65
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 10 Times in 7 Posts

Here is a story that is almost the opposite of the one from asromatifoso...I played a round at Buffalo Ridge the week before the Memorial in Arizona this year. I caught up to two gentlemen and they asked me to join them on hole 3. I played with them the rest of the round. We talked and one guy mentioned that he was in town from Pennsylvania to play the Memorial. I asked if he had played in the Memorial before. He said he'd played it for the last 10 years. We exchanged where we were from and he told me his name was Joe, but not much else. Both guys were very friendly and kind to ask me to join them. This "Joe" guy even had a chicken wing type throw that spun and flew like a forehand. I had never seen this type of throw before and "Joe" was good at it. So after playing with them, I decided to look up "Joe" from Pennsylvania who played the Memorial for the past 10 years. Come to find out, unbeknownst to me, "Joe" was Joseph Mela who was the defending Pro Grandmasters champion of the Memorial in 2016 and who also had several top 5 finishes at the Memorial. He is sponsored by Innova and is in the Disc Golf Hall of Fame. The crazy thing is that Joe is so humble that he never once mentioned any of these facts and just played disc golf. He made a great impression on me with his humility. There are even a few videos on youtube of Joe and one video even has him throwing his "chicken wing" throw.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 04-06-2017, 05:20 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 76 Times in 40 Posts

I am a noob. I know I'm a noob. I know i have a noodle arm. Hubby and I were out a few days ago, and I launch my fairway shot a little high, and hit a big branch. This branch, and i'm talking easily 50 pounds of material, cracks and falls off the tree. It was a long branch that was hanging almost horizontal, so it made a pretty impressive crash coming down. I looked at hubby and shrugged, bragging about my 'cannon arm'.

Niced: (3)
Old 04-06-2017, 05:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 479 Times in 320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn LeFey View Post
I am a noob. I know I'm a noob. I know i have a noodle arm. Hubby and I were out a few days ago, and I launch my fairway shot a little high, and hit a big branch. This branch, and i'm talking easily 50 pounds of material, cracks and falls off the tree. It was a long branch that was hanging almost horizontal, so it made a pretty impressive crash coming down. I looked at hubby and shrugged, bragging about my 'cannon arm'.

So, Mrs. Bunyan, how is Babe the blue ox doing?

Niced: (1)
Old 04-06-2017, 07:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.9
Courses Played: 326
Niced 440 Times in 207 Posts

Short funny story:

My wife first started throwing 4 years ago and was a pretty bad griplocker initially. Her first organized event was a small handicap league on the card a hole ahead of me. Midway through the round I watched her griplock a drive 3 O'clock into the belly of an unsuspecting cardmate from point blank range. The guy went down like he'd been punched in the gut by a professional boxer. In her defence, she did warn him to stand back. She recieved a lot of high fives from his friends after the round when they learned what had happened.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 68
Niced 43 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_B View Post
"Dude, you're losing to a guy who isn't even here."
Most could play their entire lives and never get to use that line. That is awesome.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 179
Niced 201 Times in 111 Posts

In the rec division at an A-Tier on the second day, the guy in second place shows up late to the first hole. His cardmates, one being my brother, let him play for the time-being, planning on giving him a seven, buy wanted to check with the TD first. (The guy twos the hole) A few holes later when they reach the TD, the guy was assessed the correct penalty. He proceeds to scream the loudest and most obscene profanity on the history of the earth. He was then given a courtesy warning, which made him flip out even more! He would continue his angry and abusive behavior, pencil whipping and aggresively swearing. The best line of his 6 hole tangent being "Karate Chop baby Jesus in the cradle." It was probably the craziest story I have ever heard. Scary for the guys on the card, but hilarious for the rest.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 24
Niced 572 Times in 332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrew300 View Post
I've told this story before, but it is honestly one of the funniest things I've ever seen, disc golf related or not. My local course plays around a lake, and during the spring, it's not uncommon to have a large group of Canada Geese hanging out on the course. We come up to a hole and find a group of them in a large field far to the left of the fairway. They were nowhere near the typical landing zone, so we proceeded to throw our drives. Everything goes fine until the last guy in our group gets up and releases his shot super early. It skips off of a rock and flies straight into the flock of geese and hits one in the side. The goose was fine and flew off with the rest of the group as soon as the disc hit it. We give the guy a hard time, and he genuinely feels bad about hitting this poor goose. By the end of the round, we've completely forgotten about it, but the next day we get together to play a round and get to the same hole where the geese like to hang out. I guess they learned their lesson, and as soon as we step up to the tee they all take off and fly straight over our head. As they're flying over, one of the geese (I like to think it was the same one that got hit) drops a poop bomb that lands directly on the guy that hit the goose the day before. We all lost it and he couldn't say anything other than, "Well I guess I deserved that."
I'm pretty sure "Nice" is the only correct response there.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:50 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 91
Niced 39 Times in 16 Posts

In Baker Park in Calgary holes 8&9 are on the walk back to the parking lot from 18, so a lot of people cut in and play their way back.

Roided out "bro" and his girlfriend blatantly cut in front of our group of 18 and throw when there are people in the fairway still. She's obviously a first timer, he's terrible.

They both throw and she starts walking down the fairway. For whatever reason, he decides to rip another drive, which smashes her in the back of the head from 50' away.

She was obviously not happy, he tried to blame her for walking without looking.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-07-2017, 12:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 41.3
Courses Played: 401
Niced 221 Times in 122 Posts

Got a bunch, but as this just happened Tuesday:

Chuck and I were at Hiller in Biloxi to meet several officials with the MS State Senior Blind Olympics, to flesh out organizational details and show them the 6-hole course we're laying out [its a big deal--they're even putting in temp bleachers for the expected crowd of spectators].
While we're all standing near tee #19, two baby squirrels pop out from behind a nearby oak, run over to us, and start jumping on our shoes, and at one point, climbing up our pant legs. After the officials left, we walked and measured the holes, and one of the squirrels stuck with us the whole walk, probably a distance of 1/4 mile. Then we decided to walk through again and throw putters [the holes are fairly short], and the little guy was on our heels again. Finally at hole #5 he seemed to stop and look around [we were a ways from his "home" tree]. He let me pick him up and haul him back to his sibling, who then wanted to tussle, but he was having none of it.
They were both munching contentedly on the bumper crop of acorns when I checked on them before leaving.

Last edited by ohtobediscing; 04-07-2017 at 12:19 AM.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:21 AM

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjberry2017 View Post
So he does, and putts and hits chains just to the left of the pole, beautiful putt. And what does the blowfly do but drop in the cage, then THROUGH the cage and sits down perfectly on the ground with no roll out directly beneath the undamaged Discatcher cage. The dude just turns and looks at us with his jaw dropped like "did that really just happen" and I don't recall busting out laughing, but just standing there like wait, did that actually happen? Anyways, dude makes the drop in without the disc dropping through the cage again and we go on to the next hole.
I know it's not the rules discussion, but through the basket (as described) is a make isn't it?