Old 04-07-2017, 03:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,659 Times in 744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_B View Post
About ten years ago my card was getting ready to tee off on our first hole at The Standing Rocks Open in Stevens Point, WI. One of the guys on our card was a no show and after waiting as long as we could we gave him his seven. Our first hole was an extremely difficult three with a serpentine fairway and a lot of trouble and rough on both sides. One of the guys on the card took an eight on the hole that was really tough to watch. As we were walking to the next tee someone says to the guy who took the snowman, "Dude, you're losing to a guy who isn't even here."

I know which hole you're talking about.

Easy to get a big number if you get off the fairway.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2017, 10:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 51
Niced 217 Times in 142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture165 View Post
I know it's not the rules discussion, but through the basket (as described) is a make isn't it?
No, because it came to rest on the ground, and not in the chains or inner tray as described in rule 802.05A. Interestingly enough, that rule also seems to indicate had his putt hit the cage and went in or landed on top of the band and fallen through in a similar fashion, it would not have counted as holed out either.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 110
Niced 244 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
I know it's not the rules discussion, but through the basket (as described) is a make isn't it?
If it's seen Yes it's good
Old 04-07-2017, 10:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 110
Niced 244 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjberry2017 View Post
No, because it came to rest on the ground, and not in the chains or inner tray as described in rule 802.05A. Interestingly enough, that rule also seems to indicate had his putt hit the cage and went in or landed on top of the band and fallen through in a similar fashion, it would not have counted as holed out either.
If seen going through the top it's no good. But if it falls out the bottom it's good discs shouldn't be able to fall out the bottom.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiac View Post
If seen going through the top it's no good. But if it falls out the bottom it's good discs shouldn't be able to fall out the bottom.
But it came to rest on the ground, not in the basket. It doesn't matter that the disc SHOULDN'T be able to fall out of the basket; it physically DID, and therefore came to rest on the ground, not the basket.

I guess I should have pointed out and made more clearly it just fell straight out of the bottom of the basket the moment it hit the cage, not after it had settled.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 49
Niced 479 Times in 320 Posts

That's what you get for using a gumputt. It's like throwing jello.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,780 Times in 837 Posts

Quote:
I was under the impression a disc has to come to rest in the chains or basket. In this instance, its the same as a spit through. Im far from a rules geek though, someone else probably has a more definite answer.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,780 Times in 837 Posts

Didn't see the answers above to this question or i wouldn't have posted. ...
Old 04-07-2017, 11:15 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 217 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjberry2017 View Post
But it came to rest on the ground, not in the basket. It doesn't matter that the disc SHOULDN'T be able to fall out of the basket; it physically DID, and therefore came to rest on the ground, not the basket.

I guess I should have pointed out and made more clearly it just fell straight out of the bottom of the basket the moment it hit the cage, not after it had settled.
I agree with sjberry. If it wasn't at rest in the basket, it wasn't holed out. In principle, this situation is no different than a disc hitting the bottom of the basket and bouncing out, or a disc like a gumbputt entering the cage with enough speed to squeeze out the back (yes, it can happen).

The only instance in which the disc would have been holed out is if the disc was at rest in the basket and a subsequent action, such as another being hit by another disc or a gust of wind, knocked it out.

Here's 802.05 Holing Out, with the relevant portion in bold:

Quote:
Basket Targets: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the chains and/or the inner cylinder (bottom and inside wall) of the tray. It may be additionally supported by the pole. A disc that enters the target below the top of the tray or above the bottom of the chain support is not holed out.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstine View Post
I agree with sjberry. If it wasn't at rest in the basket, it wasn't holed out. In principle, this situation is no different than a disc hitting the bottom of the basket and bouncing out, or a disc like a gumbputt entering the cage with enough speed to squeeze out the back (yes, it can happen).

The only instance in which the disc would have been holed out is if the disc was at rest in the basket and a subsequent action, such as another being hit by another disc or a gust of wind, knocked it out.

Here's 802.05 Holing Out, with the relevant portion in bold:
Coincidentally, the disc in question in my story was also a gumbputt