#1871  
Old 11-11-2020, 06:51 PM
Ahildy13 Ahildy13 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 37
Niced 28 Times in 14 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=oldmandiscer;3655801]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahildy13 View Post
It's harder because the disc is exposed to the wind longer and the basket doesn't catch as well while moving upwards in trajectory. For instance you can putt faster if the basket is lower to the ground, putt level or nose down some and not go so far past. With a raised basket, you have to consider you may miss that 35-40 footer and have another 35 footer coming back. So you will have to do some adjusting to your putt if you are smart. You might 3-4 putt if you gun it everytime and airball it. I've seen pro's do it.

So yes, putting is harder on an elevated basket.
You're describing a missed putt, not a putt.

The target area is the exact same, so the putt is the exact same difficulty.

The repercussions for a miss are worse.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #1872  
Old 11-11-2020, 06:52 PM
Innova63's Avatar
Innova63 Innova63 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South-eastern, Disconsin
Years Playing: 35.7
Courses Played: 264
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 900
Niced 356 Times in 196 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=Ahildy13;3655796]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post

By your logic, smaller basket = harder putting.
So an elevated basket is not harder because the target area is the exact same.

You are so dumb.
Not my Quote....

I do not not believe I have said those words in that particular order.....


ever....
Reply With Quote
  #1873  
Old 11-11-2020, 06:58 PM
oldmandiscer oldmandiscer is online now
Size Queen
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,206
Niced 230 Times in 150 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=Ahildy13;3655806]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post

You're describing a missed putt, not a putt.

The target area is the exact same, so the putt is the exact same difficulty.

The repercussions for a miss are worse.
Because the repercussions are worse makes it a tougher putt. Like flying 35 feet by instead of 20. So now you need to adjust the putt speed making it harder. The basket doesn't catch as well coming upwards in trajectory. Especially if it's windy. Much harder.

If the height didn't matter then they wouldn't do it would they? Of course it's harder. In fact I have played some raised very high. My 3 footer is now a 10 footer which I have to turbo putt to make.

Answer, of course it's harder. Even worse if it's windy. I would rather putt level then upwards into a 30 mph headwind. Goes from doable to almost impossible.
Reply With Quote
  #1874  
Old 11-11-2020, 07:05 PM
Ahildy13 Ahildy13 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 37
Niced 28 Times in 14 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=oldmandiscer;3655810]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahildy13 View Post

Because the repercussions are worse makes it a tougher putt. Like flying 35 feet by instead of 20. So now you need to adjust the putt speed making it harder. The basket doesn't catch as well coming upwards in trajectory. Especially if it's windy. Much harder.

If the height didn't matter then they wouldn't do it would they? Of course it's harder. In fact I have played some raised very high. My 3 footer is now a 10 footer which I have to turbo putt to make.

Answer, of course it's harder. Even worse if it's windy. I would rather putt level then upwards into a 30 mph headwind. Goes from doable to almost impossible.
You continue to speak in vague generalizations, while I use facts. Who said you have to hit the basket on an upward trajectory? Turbo putt or lob it in. Who said it was windy? The best way to do a test would be in a controlled environment without variables like wind.
Just because you might have to take a second shot doesn't mean the first shot is harder. The game is played one throw at a time.

If the target area is equal, and the distance to the basket is the same, the difficulty is the same.
Reply With Quote
  #1875  
Old 11-11-2020, 07:07 PM
oldmandiscer oldmandiscer is online now
Size Queen
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,206
Niced 230 Times in 150 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=Ahildy13;3655814]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post

You continue to speak in vague generalizations, while I use facts. Who said you have to hit the basket on an upward trajectory? Turbo putt or lob it in. Who said it was windy? The best way to do a test would be in a controlled environment without variables like wind.
Just because you might have to take a second shot doesn't mean the first shot is harder. The game is played one throw at a time.

If the target area is equal, and the distance to the basket is the same, the difficulty is the same.
Do you play?
Reply With Quote
  #1876  
Old 11-11-2020, 08:22 PM
DanJon DanJon is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,488
Niced 1,634 Times in 738 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
I'm a fan and I hate the trend of raised baskets and artificial OB everywhere. Layups. No true fairways. They are taking skill out of the game just so putting can stay super easy.

Some pros layup on raised baskets, some don't.

Look at Calvin Heimburg at the Memorial or at Maple Hill.

He had some amazing putts on raised baskets.

On the other hand, some pros layup on regular baskets.

As for fairways, we just had the Director of Course Consulting from the USGA at the golf course I work at.

They want us to make the fairways harder/narrower in order to get the pro tournaments.

Weird, huh?

Last edited by DanJon; 11-11-2020 at 08:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1877  
Old 11-11-2020, 08:55 PM
rocthecourse's Avatar
rocthecourse rocthecourse is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: WI (near Il border)
Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,381
Niced 519 Times in 242 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innova63 View Post

Not my Quote....

I do not not believe I have said those words in that particular order.....


ever....
Someone didn't use the "Quote Post" right and now it screwing up a bunch of quotes.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by rocthecourse; 11-11-2020 at 08:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1878  
Old 11-11-2020, 08:58 PM
joecoin's Avatar
joecoin joecoin is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: North Central Ohio
Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,363
Niced 785 Times in 380 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
Nope. Not when defended anyways. The best are around 70% from the rim.
Point after touchdown in the NFL.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #1879  
Old 11-11-2020, 09:31 PM
oldmandiscer oldmandiscer is online now
Size Queen
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,206
Niced 230 Times in 150 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoin View Post
Point after touchdown in the NFL.
Are you saying it's too easy? Well yeah it is and no one likes it. I mean who wants a stupid kicker deciding the game by missing an extra point? They did move it back too, which would be akin to making the basket smaller or more difficult. Also the primary goal in football is not to score FG's or extra points, it's to get the TD's. Which is not easy.

It difficult to watch a sport if little challenge exists or if the primary challenge is based on luck and not skill. That is the trend of disc golf. Not to mention the artificial OB everywhere now which is forcing players to layup or play safe too often. Not fun to watch either.
Reply With Quote
 

  #1880  
Old 11-11-2020, 09:52 PM
Cgkdisc's Avatar
Cgkdisc Cgkdisc is offline
.:Hall of Fame Member:.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Years Playing: 31.8
Courses Played: 712
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 12,992
Niced 2,845 Times in 1,187 Posts
Default

ALEX: "Smaller disc golf baskets reduce putts made."
(answer in form of a question)

CONTESTANTS
Rec Players: "WTF?"
Am Players: "WTF?"
Weekend Warriors: "WTF?"
Some Elite Pros: "Worst way to improve game?"
Tours Admin: "Way to reduce scoring separation/drama?"
Course Designers: "New way to torture players?"
Course Owners: "Why spend money on smaller baskets?"
DG Media: "Way to make DG videos less exciting?"
General Media: "Who cares?"

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why don't the pros throw 13 and 14 speed discs? DarkAce1978 General Disc Golf Chat 61 05-26-2018 06:07 PM
Rhyno: Why don't more pros use them? spahnandsain Discs 48 11-24-2017 04:01 AM
Smaller basket name? AzteC Other Gear 6 08-08-2014 12:56 AM
DG pros rock - shoutout to Sarah Hokom & Don Smith Timeetyo General Disc Golf Chat 24 06-19-2014 05:46 PM
2012 Worlds: Invited Pros - don't wait. Your spot will be taken on May 1. Spinthrift Tournaments & Leagues 2 04-20-2012 10:31 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.