Old 11-12-2020, 12:53 AM
Captain Oblivous!

Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts

My absolute favorite thing is a wide open field, no wind, and spend hours just throwing the discs and watching them fly.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-12-2020, 06:46 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 627 Times in 266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
i would rather do disc down rounds or putter only rounds than field practice
I still don't get putter only rounds.

Say I can drive about 300 feet. I walk up to a 320 foot hole. I can either...

a) Pick a driver. Deal with disc selection, driving for distance, wind, lines, and finish. Then deal with either making a putt or scrambling.

b) Pick a putter. Throw 200'ish feet. Lay up an approach. Most likely tap in for par.

As far as development and practicing skills, I don't see how A isn't the better choice.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 96
Niced 2,803 Times in 1,070 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post

a) Pick a driver. Deal with disc selection, driving for distance, wind, lines, and finish. Then deal with either making a putt or scrambling.

b) Pick a putter. Throw 200'ish feet. Lay up an approach. Most likely tap in for par.

As far as development and practicing skills, I don't see how A isn't the better choice.
You misunderstand what it's for. Using a low speed the whole round for every shot teaches you things you won't learn other ways, mainly with your form. Forget strategy.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:18 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
You misunderstand what it's for. Using a low speed the whole round for every shot teaches you things you won't learn other ways, mainly with your form. Forget strategy.
It just seems like a waste of a round to me.

I'd much rather carry a bin of putters and throw in a field or pick a spot 200 feet (or whatever) out and throw my bag at the basket. I just don't get much other than frustrated from throwing a putter on a bunch of 400-700 foot holes.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:34 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 42
Niced 1,343 Times in 666 Posts

Quote:

I'd much rather carry a bin of putters and throw in a field or pick a spot 200 feet (or whatever) out and throw my bag at the basket. I just don't get much other than frustrated from throwing a putter on a bunch of 400-700 foot holes.
For ****s and giggles, try it at least once. Check your score compared to a common round (local course). You'd be surprised.

Old 11-12-2020, 10:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 639
Niced 2,837 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote:

ok have fun
Old 11-12-2020, 10:39 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
For ****s and giggles, try it at least once. Check your score compared to a common round (local course). You'd be surprised.
I've done it several times at the 9 hole course close to home.

Full bag, a good round is about +1. Figure -2 on the short nine and +3 on the long nine.

A good putter only run on the shorts is about +1. The only time I did it on the long nine, I think I was about +11 or so. I think I could shoot somewhere around a +7 or so if I cared to do it again.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 122
Niced 3,214 Times in 1,258 Posts

If you are just starting out fieldwork is far and away the easiest way to get in the needed reps to develop muscle memory and to pick out what you are doing right or wrong. No obstacles=fewer variables. Once your body knows what it is doing to some degree ymmv.

I am of an age where the number of reps in my body is not what it once was and I am reasonably content with my skill set. When I (rarely) do fieldwork these days it is more often about learning a specific disc and evaluating whether it is potentially useful to me than about working on my form.

Old 11-12-2020, 11:38 AM
Par Member

Niced 91 Times in 57 Posts

I think often times when people hear fieldwork they might assume it's just firing discs into a wide open field, which is probably tough to translate into scoring rounds. If you haven't seen Paul Ulibarri's down the fairway series yet, he's got a handful of videos specifically about fieldwork and how to translate that to the course. His latest one deals with forehand scrambling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2HPhFyeNWo

Niced: (1)

Old 11-12-2020, 11:53 AM
Captain Oblivous!

Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:

I hear ya there. When I first started out I did lots of putter rounds and found myself not really progressing- my distance progression was slowing, my form wasn't really progressing, etc. It was when I started doing tons of fieldwork throwing drivers that I started progressing. On the course it translated to better rounds because I was able to drive further and get closer to the basket. To this day I'm not sure how far I can throw a putter and I don't really care. I know how far I can throw with a driver and I know when I get within good range to use a putter. There are definitely more ways than one to skin a cat.