Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 11-16-2020, 05:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 12
Niced 600 Times in 411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondZ View Post
I'm just curious how people like the Luna for approach shots and driving. I'm thinking of getting the regular rubber/plastic blend Luna for just putting, but I wonder if it's durable enough to throw without getting beat up quickly. Do people just use Z plastic or other plastics instead?

Is there an alternative putter that people prefer for approach shots and driving? I have a Zone, which is fantastic for overstable approaches, but I'm also looking for something for straight shots through gaps. I previously used a Champion Aviar to fill this, but now it's too beat in and flippy. Would something like a Z/Ti Challenger or Roach be comparable?
I used a regular Luna as my thrwoing and putting putter for a while until the 5x Cryztals came out and then my regular Luna got relegated to putting only. It will beat in, but not super fast if you don't smack the first available consistently. I personally putt with a pair of regular Lunas and throw a L.E. Flex Steady BL from last years GMC. ESP FLX Lunas would be awesome for my throwing putter.

Regarding the Challenger/Roach, I used a Cryztal Chally for my OS throwing putter slot before the Cryztal Lunas were released and I ended up with an ace with it. Mine was very comparable to my 5x Luna and a bit less OS than my TS Luna. I never really clicked with the Roach and trying to feel one up in a premium plastic was almost impossible, plus I hate the name.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-16-2020, 03:05 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.4
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 15 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
I used a regular Luna as my thrwoing and putting putter for a while until the 5x Cryztals came out and then my regular Luna got relegated to putting only. It will beat in, but not super fast if you don't smack the first available consistently. I personally putt with a pair of regular Lunas and throw a L.E. Flex Steady BL from last years GMC. ESP FLX Lunas would be awesome for my throwing putter.

Regarding the Challenger/Roach, I used a Cryztal Chally for my OS throwing putter slot before the Cryztal Lunas were released and I ended up with an ace with it. Mine was very comparable to my 5x Luna and a bit less OS than my TS Luna. I never really clicked with the Roach and trying to feel one up in a premium plastic was almost impossible, plus I hate the name.
Haha, agreed on hating the name (and stamps) for the Roach. These premium plastics such as Cryztal and ESP FLX sound awesome... is there a recommended way to find these for a reasonable price? It seems like they're either very difficult to find and/or have high secondary market prices.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:54 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 318 Times in 183 Posts

Not sure you can use the Luna on drives because it only goes 466 feet...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 673C6247-F4E5-4047-A1C4-C3933A28B431.jpg (126.8 KB, 87 views)
Old 11-17-2020, 02:10 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
Not sure you can use the Luna on drives because it only goes 466 feet...

Haha I did see that video, and it was pretty helpful. Honestly, if I had anywhere near that distance with it, I'd throw putter on every shot. James Conrad throws putters a ton, right?
Old 11-17-2020, 02:48 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,343 Times in 666 Posts

Literally any [slow] disc works for putting, driving, and approaching. I'm sure you're new to the game but please understand any putter does all of the above. Every putter mold, every plastic, every company. No exceptions.

Old 11-17-2020, 02:57 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
Literally any [slow] disc works for putting, driving, and approaching. I'm sure you're new to the game but please understand any putter does all of the above. Every putter mold, every plastic, every company. No exceptions.
Yes, I understand that. I have played entire rounds with just one mid-range, or just one putter. I'm just currently looking to find a durable throwing putter that has the specific flight characteristics I want.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:50 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 620 Times in 262 Posts

Quote:
Haha I did see that video, and it was pretty helpful. Honestly, if I had anywhere near that distance with it, I'd throw putter on every shot. James Conrad throws putters a ton, right?
I think all top pros throw putters a ton. Conrad probably throws a bit more and has the rep because he throws these big beautiful sweeping turnovers when 80% of the field is throwing a stock forehand.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:42 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 36
Niced 285 Times in 157 Posts

I really enjoy the Kastaplast Reko for drives and approaches. K1 for driving and longer approaches and the K3 for touch shots or turnovers.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 12
Niced 600 Times in 411 Posts

Quote:
Haha, agreed on hating the name (and stamps) for the Roach. These premium plastics such as Cryztal and ESP FLX sound awesome... is there a recommended way to find these for a reasonable price? It seems like they're either very difficult to find and/or have high secondary market prices.
Unfortunately no, but the Tour Series (TS) Z Lunas should be able to be had for about $20 or so. I wish that DC would produce premium plastic putters more often, especially the Luna and Fierce, though I assume they don't for special releases.

Old 11-19-2020, 04:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 185
Niced 207 Times in 108 Posts

I really like my Big Z Lunas for driving and approaching - the problem is, however, that my Opto-X Pures are just a touch better. They feel different and have slightly different flight paths, but the net results are almost so identical that I generally reach for the Pure instead of the Luna.