Old 11-17-2020, 03:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,452 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysmike View Post
Good, it's been an absolute failure since the experiment started.
At least it may quiet the Swedish model promoters, , probably not haha
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2020, 03:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 498 Times in 248 Posts

I have a friend (working his way towards being downgraded to "acquaintance") who keeps saying "Why are we worried about something with a 99% survival rate?" or similar comments

My response is always: I wouldn't spend a month at the Playboy Mansion if you told me there was only a 99% chance I'd get out alive.

Downside of being atheist is that this world is it for me - I'm staying here as long as I ducking can

Niced: (3)
Old 11-17-2020, 04:04 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 371 Times in 176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
It still amazes me how random this virus seems to be in regards to how it affects everyone. Some people nothing more than diarrhea or a minor cold, other people are in the hospital with their lungs dissolving with life long organ damage if/when they recover? I'm by far not a virus historian, but is this randomness typical of other viruses in the past when they were discovered?
It seems random because we have an intentionally broad PCR test that pulls in more false positives to avoid false negatives. We could dial down the PCR cycles and I am positive that the symptoms would conform to a tighter group. But as it is, more false positives means more seemingly random symptoms.

The real tragedy is if we reverse this and lower the cycles, increasing false negatives. The last thing we need is spreaders walking around with a false sense of security. We can handle a couple false positives with seemingly unrelated symptoms.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-17-2020, 04:08 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedV View Post
Any stories to share about what awaits survivors (and the families of the deceased) when a bill comes from the hospital? Insured vs Non-insured folk?
Individuals will just declare bankruptcy or get in a payment plan. Inconvenience sure, but not life destroying. The real losers will be all those brave front line workers that are putting themselves in danger. Once the nation collectively welches on the debt those folks will get fired to save executive bonuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedV View Post
What about being branded as having a pre-existing condition after surviving severe COVID-19 infections? What does that do financially to ones ability to be insured in the future?
Nothing, pre-existing conditions are not a thing any more, and with Biden that is assured to stay the law.
Old 11-17-2020, 04:09 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 18
Niced 88 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by etdefender19 View Post
I have a friend (working his way towards being downgraded to "acquaintance") who keeps saying "Why are we worried about something with a 99% survival rate?" or similar comments

My response is always: I wouldn't spend a month at the Playboy Mansion if you told me there was only a 99% chance I'd get out alive.

Downside of being atheist is that this world is it for me - I'm staying here as long as I ducking can
So you're going to throw away a friendship because you don't like his attitude toward Covid? Sounds like you would be a lousy friend to have anyway.
Old 11-17-2020, 04:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 31
Niced 331 Times in 144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discraft Dad View Post
So you're going to throw away a friendship because you don't like his attitude toward Covid? Sounds like you would be a lousy friend to have anyway.
I don't judge him. A philosophical divide that profound is significant.
Old 11-17-2020, 04:14 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
If my girlfriend let me know she loved to have random unprotected sex, I would downgrade her to ex-girlfriend no matter how much I liked her. If you don't want to get dirty you don't play with those that play in the mud. This "friend" wants to be irresponsible with his pathogens, he gets to do it from someone else's house.

Old 11-17-2020, 04:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 31
Niced 331 Times in 144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
Individuals will just declare bankruptcy or get in a payment plan. Inconvenience sure, but not life destroying. The real losers will be all those brave front line workers that are putting themselves in danger. Once the nation collectively welches on the debt those folks will get fired to save executive bonuses.

Nothing, pre-existing conditions are not a thing any more, and with Biden that is assured to stay the law.
Thank you for answering Dingus. That makes sense. Although it still sounds like a good path to financial ruin, potentially life changing for a family and generations to come.
Old 11-17-2020, 04:31 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 13
Niced 539 Times in 194 Posts

Quote:
I know you didn't ask me, but yes, absolutely, I would (and probably have, were I to really think about it) downgrade someone from "friend" to "acquaintance" due to how they navigate COVID. It may not even be intentional or something I even think about. I'm just not going to be anywhere near people who aren't taking this seriously, and not interacting with people who were fringe friends anyway is a great way for them to fall off toward being acquaintances anyway.

Niced: (2)

Old 11-17-2020, 04:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.7
Courses Played: 250
Niced 5,095 Times in 1,747 Posts

Quote:
I think I have been pretty lucky. I don't honestly have any friends that are COVID deniers. Could be a couple reasons for that.

Given my job, they see it best to not discuss it
I have chosen my friends carefully

I am pleased my group of friends, care very much about others. Honestly, DD...I think callous people, openly professing a care for only themselves would make a lousy friend.