Old 11-18-2020, 01:23 AM

Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

"We could stop traffic deaths if we outlawed personal cars." Sure but is that really an apt comparison though? Consider that ignoring COVID guidelines would be more like having cars without safety requirements and no speed limits or traffic signals. The goal isn't and can't be ZERO risk. There are some things that are completely out (think dancing at a club) but disc golf is something that can be done with pretty low risk with the right precautions. So the best advice would be, per health recommendations: Outside is good, fewer people good, masks if you're meeting up with people outside household good. Don't meet up with a bunch of people and wear masks if you're within 6-8 feet. And wear your seatbelt

Niced: (2)
Old 11-18-2020, 07:44 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 530 Times in 234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
I've definitely downgraded a few friendships because of this. The guys who think this is a 5G Bill Gates virus and say they'll start shooting if someone tries to give them a vaccine definitely have different values than I and it's best if we just go separate ways.
I've got a very close friend like that. Not the sharpest tool in the shed for sure. But he's as genuinely honest as they come and has helped me out of a jam more than once.

I judge by actions, not beliefs or words, and I'm batting 100% by that method.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:50 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 409 Times in 205 Posts

videos like this show me that lots of people, professional disc golfers included, are not taking it seriously whatsoever.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.9
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,825 Times in 1,080 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
videos like this show me that lots of people, professional disc golfers included, are not taking it seriously whatsoever.

But, but....they're 1000 rated disc golfers!!!

Old 11-18-2020, 09:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.7
Courses Played: 250
Niced 5,156 Times in 1,778 Posts

This is the first research paper to come out of the huge serology study being done by my healthcare system. They start, what was the largest serology study at the time, back in April.

https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance...searchresult=1

Old 11-18-2020, 09:24 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 31
Niced 333 Times in 146 Posts

And another study from Michigan regarding patient outcomes 60-days post hospitalization. :gulp:

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-5661

Old 11-18-2020, 09:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 43
Niced 102 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antron Legacy View Post
"We could stop traffic deaths if we outlawed personal cars." Sure but is that really an apt comparison though? Consider that ignoring COVID guidelines would be more like having cars without safety requirements and no speed limits or traffic signals. The goal isn't and can't be ZERO risk. There are some things that are completely out (think dancing at a club) but disc golf is something that can be done with pretty low risk with the right precautions. So the best advice would be, per health recommendations: Outside is good, fewer people good, masks if you're meeting up with people outside household good. Don't meet up with a bunch of people and wear masks if you're within 6-8 feet. And wear your seatbelt

I think the cars is still a good analogy. For the very reasons you stated; we don't ban them, we set up safety protocols to reduce the risk. Under COVID, we shouldn't stop living our lives, we just need to go about it with some modified protocols.

Where the debate comes in is what level of protocols. Personally, I am not a fan of the large sweeping bans. Different individuals are in different risk categories and should not be grouped together in the large bans.

There is a real good discussion in this link about Focused Protection (link). Aim the protections to those most at risk. The strict protocols and bans on low risk individuals can end up being more harmful in the end than COVID would be.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:48 AM
Banned

Courses Played: 18
Niced 88 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Sound more frustrated and tired than scared.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW III View Post
I think the cars is still a good analogy. For the very reasons you stated; we don't ban them, we set up safety protocols to reduce the risk. Under COVID, we shouldn't stop living our lives, we just need to go about it with some modified protocols.

Where the debate comes in is what level of protocols. Personally, I am not a fan of the large sweeping bans. Different individuals are in different risk categories and should not be grouped together in the large bans.

There is a real good discussion in this link about Focused Protection (link). Aim the protections to those most at risk. The strict protocols and bans on low risk individuals can end up being more harmful in the end than COVID would be.
The risk has nothing to do with you! Man, I don't really understand why people struggle with this.

You are welcome to make decisions on your own mortality. The problem is that the risk you undertake, is not only your own. Your survival needs, of going to the bar, gym, church, bowling alley....are then exponentially passed on to scores of high risk people. The danger of this virus has been asymptomatic carriers, exposing the elderly and high risk population. Even for the those trying to claim, I go to the gym and only see my cousin, other then that. Cousin Jim sees his family. Jim's wife works at Walmart.....

Nobody should be going to indoor activities, with other people, not wearing masks, for extended periods of time. Not because it is dangerous for them....because it is dangerous for the thousands of people they can infect.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discraft Dad View Post
Sound more frustrated and tired than scared.
Well....I wish I was a badass, like you. I AM scared. I am scared of bringing this virus home to my wife, my mother, my father in law. I am afraid they then could spread the virus to dozens of others, who each could spread it to dozens of others........

I am afraid of watching a generation, a generation that fought and died for the freedoms we are discussing, die.

Guess I am just a p*ssy.