Old 11-18-2020, 10:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 332 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
The risk has nothing to do with you! Man, I don't really understand why people struggle with this.

You are welcome to make decisions on your own mortality. The problem is that the risk you undertake, is not only your own. Your survival needs, of going to the bar, gym, church, bowling alley....are then exponentially passed on to scores of high risk people. The danger of this virus has been asymptomatic carriers, exposing the elderly and high risk population. Even for the those trying to claim, I go to the gym and only see my cousin, other then that. Cousin Jim sees his family. Jim's wife works at Walmart.....

Nobody should be going to indoor activities, with other people, not wearing masks, for extended periods of time. Not because it is dangerous for them....because it is dangerous for the thousands of people they can infect.
Yeah, but... My freedoms!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2020, 10:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 31
Niced 332 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:
Well....I wish I was a badass, like you. I AM scared. I am scared of bringing this virus home to my wife, my mother, my father in law. I am afraid they then could spread the virus to dozens of others, who each could spread it to dozens of others........

I am afraid of watching a generation, a generation that fought and died for the freedoms we are discussing, die.

Guess I am just a p*ssy.
I'm also a p*ssy.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,748 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedV View Post
I'm also a p*ssy.
Never understood that statement......those things can take a pounding! It's the male anatomy that's weak and vulnerable.....

Old 11-18-2020, 11:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 187
Niced 1,718 Times in 664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW III View Post
There is a real good discussion in this link about Focused Protection (link). Aim the protections to those most at risk. The strict protocols and bans on low risk individuals can end up being more harmful in the end than COVID would be.
Ah, the Great Barrington Declaration. What it describes as a "focused protection" approach is really a herd immunity strategy. Which makes no sense when we are on the verge of not one but two vaccines that look highly effective, based on preliminary data.

Sample critique of the Great Barrington Declaration:
Dr Rupert Beale, Group Leader, Cell Biology of Infection Laboratory, Francis Crick Institute, said:

“An effective response to the Covid pandemic requires multiple targeted interventions to reduce transmission, to develop better treatments and to protect vulnerable people. This declaration prioritises just one aspect of a sensible strategy – protecting the vulnerable – and suggests we can safely build up ‘herd immunity’ in the rest of the population. This is wishful thinking. It is not possible to fully identify vulnerable individuals, and it is not possible to fully isolate them. Furthermore, we know that immunity to coronaviruses wanes over time, and re-infection is possible – so lasting protection of vulnerable individuals by establishing ‘herd immunity’ is very unlikely to be achieved in the absence of a vaccine. Individual scientists may reasonably disagree about the relative merits of various interventions, but they must be honest about the feasibility of what they propose. This declaration is therefore not a helpful contribution to the debate.”

Furthermore, protecting nursing homes is easier said than done:
“We learned from the first wave, but it was not enough,” said Dominique Lamy, the coordinating doctor for three nursing homes in Mons, in southwestern Belgium.

“During summer, we prepared all the material, all the protocols, all the procedures,” Lamy said. But the government underestimated how rapidly a resurgence of the virus among younger people would make its way into homes for the elderly, he said.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-18-2020, 11:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.7
Courses Played: 250
Niced 5,107 Times in 1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
Ah, the Great Barrington Declaration. What it describes as a "focused protection" approach is really a herd immunity strategy. Which makes no sense when we are on the verge of not one but two vaccines that look highly effective, based on preliminary data.

Sample critique of the Great Barrington Declaration:
Dr Rupert Beale, Group Leader, Cell Biology of Infection Laboratory, Francis Crick Institute, said:

“An effective response to the Covid pandemic requires multiple targeted interventions to reduce transmission, to develop better treatments and to protect vulnerable people. This declaration prioritises just one aspect of a sensible strategy – protecting the vulnerable – and suggests we can safely build up ‘herd immunity’ in the rest of the population. This is wishful thinking. It is not possible to fully identify vulnerable individuals, and it is not possible to fully isolate them. Furthermore, we know that immunity to coronaviruses wanes over time, and re-infection is possible – so lasting protection of vulnerable individuals by establishing ‘herd immunity’ is very unlikely to be achieved in the absence of a vaccine. Individual scientists may reasonably disagree about the relative merits of various interventions, but they must be honest about the feasibility of what they propose. This declaration is therefore not a helpful contribution to the debate.”

Furthermore, protecting nursing homes is easier said than done:
“We learned from the first wave, but it was not enough,” said Dominique Lamy, the coordinating doctor for three nursing homes in Mons, in southwestern Belgium.

“During summer, we prepared all the material, all the protocols, all the procedures,” Lamy said. But the government underestimated how rapidly a resurgence of the virus among younger people would make its way into homes for the elderly, he said.
Good post. I think it could easily be argued that shutting down business is indeed focused protection. Asymptomatic spread to high risk groups has become the hallmark of this virus.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-18-2020, 11:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 90
Niced 1,036 Times in 379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
I've definitely downgraded a few friendships because of this. The guys who think this is a 5G Bill Gates virus and say they'll start shooting if someone tries to give them a vaccine definitely have different values than I and it's best if we just go separate ways.
Unfortunately my stepdad is in this category for me now. Someone I’ve always deeply respected, now fully immersed in the Trump cult and lost complete touch with reality. Really sad to watch.

Old 11-18-2020, 11:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,748 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCready View Post
Unfortunately my stepdad is in this category for me now. Someone I’ve always deeply respected, now fully immersed in the Trump cult and lost complete touch with reality. Really sad to watch.
Not to derail this into a political thread, because this isn't the place for that but....

Is it pro-trump or anti-democrat? I have found those two things are much different, but often with the same result.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:39 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 90
Niced 1,036 Times in 379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
Not to derail this into a political thread, because this isn't the place for that but....

Is it pro-trump or anti-democrat? I have found those two things are much different, but often with the same result.
Pro-Trump in his case. I never realized how much of a racist he is. Most of his friends are current or retired cops. Since Trump was elected, he no longer feels the need to hide his bigotry.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.7
Courses Played: 250
Niced 5,107 Times in 1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCready View Post
Pro-Trump in his case. I never realized how much of a racist he is. Most of his friends are current or retired cops. Since Trump was elected, he no longer feels the need to hide his bigotry.
Oddly, I find my republican friends often confuse my anti-trump stance, for pro-democratic.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:00 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 18
Niced 88 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Well....I wish I was a badass, like you. I AM scared. I am scared of bringing this virus home to my wife, my mother, my father in law. I am afraid they then could spread the virus to dozens of others, who each could spread it to dozens of others........

I am afraid of watching a generation, a generation that fought and died for the freedoms we are discussing, die.

Guess I am just a p*ssy.
I am just going to say this without going into much detail. When you have the life experiences that I have had and found myself in some tight spots I wasn't sure I would make it out of, it is going to take more than a virus with a 97%+ chance if surviving to make me nervous. Especially with a vaccine on the horizon.