Old 11-21-2020, 05:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.9
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 574 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
So I'll conclude you are incapable of answering and debating the topic then and will resort to deflection and trolling. Figures.
There is no debate. Only opinion. It is obvious you are not changing hearts and minds by rambling on ad nauseam.

You can present new information based on applying your concept or drop it.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2020, 06:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,935 Times in 2,283 Posts

Quote:
So I'll conclude you are incapable of answering and debating the topic then and will resort to deflection and trolling. Figures.
Brandolini's Law.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:05 PM
Size Queen

Niced 239 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
There is no debate. Only opinion. It is obvious you are not changing hearts and minds by rambling on ad nauseam.

You can present new information based on applying your concept or drop it.
There is no debate because you haven't debated. Just the last post you said most putts were 50-60 feet range and they miss many (second part true for that range). I then proved that by far most putts beyond a 3/1 ratio were C1. So you posted false information and are now telling me I am rambling?

I assume you don't think putting is easy for the Pro's now. So what percentage would be too easy? Are you 100% for C1 as well? If putting isn't too easy what would be too easy then?
Old 11-21-2020, 06:06 PM
Size Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Brandolini's Law.
Trolling and deflection. Are you capable of debating the topic or no? I asked a simple question but you cannot or refuse to answer it.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,935 Times in 2,283 Posts

Your argument as to why disc golf should be changed to suit your taste, is to ask other people what they think of putting?

Sorry, that's not an argument in favor of a proposal.

My opinion about a hypothetical is irrelevant because -- in case you haven't noticed -- I'm not proposing a change in disc golf based on my opinions.

So I did lay out an argument, about 25 posts back; how to demonstrate the need for a change. But it would be incumbent on someone who actually thinks the change is needed, to respond and support it.

Which it's clear to almost everyone in this thread, isn't going to happen.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-21-2020, 06:15 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
There is no debate because you haven't debated. Just the last post you said most putts were 50-60 feet range and they miss many (second part true for that range). I then proved that by far most putts beyond a 3/1 ratio were C1. So you posted false information and are now telling me I am rambling?

I assume you don't think putting is easy for the Pro's now. So what percentage would be too easy? Are you 100% for C1 as well? If putting isn't too easy what would be too easy then?
What false information? I said putting generally you starts at 50-60. I see pros miss putts frequently.

So yes, you are a liar and you ramble.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-21-2020, 06:17 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Your argument as to why disc golf should be changed to suit your taste, is to ask other people what they think of putting?

Sorry, that's not an argument in favor of a proposal.

My opinion about a hypothetical is irrelevant because -- in case you haven't noticed -- I'm not proposing a change in disc golf based on my opinions.

So I did lay out an argument, about 25 posts back; how to demonstrate the need for a change. But it would be incumbent on someone who actually thinks the change is needed, to respond and support it.

Which it's clear to almost everyone in this thread, isn't going to happen.
This. Nobody cares about the rambling opinion of old drunk disc guy. Just build it and prove it is better.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:53 PM
Size Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
What false information? I said putting generally you starts at 50-60. I see pros miss putts frequently.

So yes, you are a liar and you ramble.
Because C2 putts are only ~22% of putts, a small portion of putting. The vast majority of putts are C1 putts. So sure you have a few long putts but they are a minority when we are talking about overall statistics.

In the 11-33 ft range we see TWICE as many putts then C2 and where we see a tremendously high percentage of makes. My opinion is that we need to offer some challenge to the players in that range. They simply make too many. It doesn't really matter if a putt/upshot or drive is 25 feet or 2 feet. We should be rewarding accurate shots at a higher rate.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:27 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 172 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Because C2 putts are only ~22% of putts, a small portion of putting. The vast majority of putts are C1 putts. So sure you have a few long putts but they are a minority when we are talking about overall statistics.

In the 11-33 ft range we see TWICE as many putts then C2 and where we see a tremendously high percentage of makes. My opinion is that we need to offer some challenge to the players in that range. They simply make too many. It doesn't really matter if a putt/upshot or drive is 25 feet or 2 feet. We should be rewarding accurate shots at a higher rate.
I dont agree that smaller baskets will make the world's best disc golfers start missing a lot of putts from 25 feet. You claim an amateur indoor putting league saw a 15% difference. So ill give you a 7.5% effect for top pros. The top 5 DGPT finishers average 86%. So 78.5%. Over 18 holes thats maybe 1-2 missed putts. I dont believe the sport needs a major change for 1-2 missed putts for all players per round.

Old 11-21-2020, 07:39 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 241 Times in 137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
You overestimate the ease of accessing my "database".

The probability of beating another player when you have a 3 throw lead and 3 holes to go in a three round tournament is 94%.

The probability of beating another player when you have a 3 throw lead and 9 holes to go in a three round tournament is 83%.

The reason is that catching someone who is ahead of you is harder than most think. Let's say you are three throws behind after one round in a two-round tournament. You might think you only have to gain four throws on your opponent. Beat them once every four holes, not so hard, right?

However, just to match your opponent in the second round you have to play three throws better than you did the first round. So, to beat your opponent you have to play seven throws better than you did the first round. (Or, any combination of the lead player playing worse and the behind player playing better, but they're all about the same likelihood.)

How often does that happen?

In a longer tournament, enough holes have been played so that the player who is three throws in the lead with three to go is almost proven to be playing better that day, so they should end up winning. Anything which lowers these probabilities would just be injecting randomness into the results. Which some equate to drama.

I have no idea whether smaller baskets would increase or decrease these probabilities. And neither does anyone else. So we should spend several pages trying to get everyone to convert to our wild guesses.
Just want to clear up the stat we're seeing here, is this only instances where a player is x strokes back from the lead, or 'an other player'? And this is all tournaments over some time period or just DGPT/Majors/NTs/A-Tiers+ ? It starts off reading like it's just any two pairs of players then becomes winning only. Is this recycled from another post and that's why OMD knows about it? Should I read somewhere else where you've laid it all out? Sorry for all the questions.