Old 11-21-2020, 07:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,937 Times in 2,284 Posts

Out of curiosity, and without direct application to this discussion -- and with apologies for any digression -- does anyone have any statistics on top pro putting percentages from specific distances? Or, at least, narrow ranges? C1X is a pretty wide range, though I understand it's what UDisc provides. I'm curious as to at what range top pros actually make, say, 90% / 75% / 50% / 25%. ("Top Pros" being a bit of a vague term, I know).
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2020, 07:48 PM
Size Queen

Niced 239 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
I dont agree that smaller baskets will make the world's best disc golfers start missing a lot of putts from 25 feet. You claim an amateur indoor putting league saw a 15% difference. So ill give you a 7.5% effect for top pros. The top 5 DGPT finishers average 86%. So 78.5%. Over 18 holes thats maybe 1-2 missed putts. I dont believe the sport needs a major change for 1-2 missed putts for all players per round.
No that was Pro. Chris Dickerson and Zach Melton played last year in the indoor leagues. Some other smaller named guys, though I didn't search every league. I just went off of that league. Somewhere back in this thread.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 785 Times in 380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
So you have no defense. Got it.
So you can't give me a legitimate reason why I should drive on the opposite of the road.

Got it.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:50 PM
Size Queen

Quote:
Wow.

Did some 25 footer math as well. 60 putts on each.

Dickerson on Veteran = 91.75%

Dickerson on Marksman = 77%
Here it is.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:51 PM
Size Queen

Quote:
Melton -

64.33% from 33 feet. 90 putts over the season on Veteran basket.

51.16% from 33 feet. 90 putts on the marksman.

Dickerson -

70% on Veteran basket. 33 feet, 60 putts.

60% on Marksman basket. 33 feet, 60 putts. (really impressive)

(2 weeks Dickerson putted better/made more putts on the Marksman) I doubt the 10% spread hold true over a longer period. I think it widens as those are outliers.
Here is 33 feet comparison.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:54 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 241 Times in 137 Posts

The number of C1 putts is somewhat dependent on the number of missed C2 putts. Talking about the ratio of putts at different distances isn't going to lead anywhere useful without a much more complex mathematical model than is going to be possible to discuss in this forum.

Yes a 100% putt rate from C1X is too easy. I expect even the most successful players in a season to miss a good handful of C1X putts per season. If they were missing more than a third of their putts from C1X I suspect I would find that less enticing to watch. So at a bit of a guess I think the sweet spot for me is in the range 65% - 98%. If it's rare it's exciting to watch (unless it's too rare) and if it's a solid chance of missing it's exciting to watch unless they start to look like they can't hit a barn door. Perhaps there's another low point in the middle of the range, but I honestly don't know without seeing the overall impact on pro play. I have strong suspicions that making it harder would make layups a lot more common except possibly in the final round where we'd have more blowups but also a couple more amazing comebacks. You've had plenty of time to convince me that there are ancillary benefits to the proposed change but you're coming up blank time and again.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 67
Niced 785 Times in 380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
New Coke was the biggest success in the history of Coke. You just need to understand that its purpose was to switch the sweetening ingredient from expensive sugar to the industrial waste called high fructose corn syrup - which they get paid to dispose of in our guts. Coke with HFCS doesn't taste as good, so they had to rinse everyone's mouth out with New Coke for six months. They made it horrible so today's "Coca Cola Classic" (they can't legally call it just "Coca Cola" because it is a different product) would taste good in comparison. Try some Coke made in Mexico to taste the difference.

Anyway, the point here is that when someone is pursuing a goal seemingly against all reason, they may have their own hidden agenda and be outsmarting us all.
I always drink Mexican coke when I eat in Mexican restaurants. To me it's not just the type of sweetener used, but the fact that it's in glass bottles. Can't get US coke in glass where I am. Off topic, some of the best soda is called "Dang That's Good!". Fantastic stuff.

While I won't dispute that it's possible someone may have their own hidden agenda and be outsmarting us all, it aint OMD.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:06 PM
Size Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugular View Post
The number of C1 putts is somewhat dependent on the number of missed C2 putts. Talking about the ratio of putts at different distances isn't going to lead anywhere useful without a much more complex mathematical model than is going to be possible to discuss in this forum.

Yes a 100% putt rate from C1X is too easy. I expect even the most successful players in a season to miss a good handful of C1X putts per season. If they were missing more than a third of their putts from C1X I suspect I would find that less enticing to watch. So at a bit of a guess I think the sweet spot for me is in the range 65% - 98%. If it's rare it's exciting to watch (unless it's too rare) and if it's a solid chance of missing it's exciting to watch unless they start to look like they can't hit a barn door. Perhaps there's another low point in the middle of the range, but I honestly don't know without seeing the overall impact on pro play. I have strong suspicions that making it harder would make layups a lot more common except possibly in the final round where we'd have more blowups but also a couple more amazing comebacks. You've had plenty of time to convince me that there are ancillary benefits to the proposed change but you're coming up blank time and again.
I was saying 100% sort of as a joke. Of course players are going to miss a number of 20-33 footers. Though we had I believe two tourneys this year where a player finished the 3-4 round tournament and was 100% C1 for the tournament. To me, that is obviously really impressive not missing a putt inside of 33 feet for several rounds, but it also points to the fact that, that shouldn't happen, it signals a problem. You shouldn't have players playing multiple rounds/an entire tournament and not missing a putt.

Same thing with McBeth and his 18 under. Really that shouldn't happen. Where do we go from there? Players are shooting 18 under, never missing a C1 putt for an entire tourney. How about just a little challenge for these guys?

Yes I'm not minimizing those achievements, doing that is very hard and highly skilled, but I think both events essentially means disc golf has been mastered. You cannot do any better, literally you can't in terms of putting at least or making an Ace in McBeths case.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 92
Niced 2,683 Times in 1,082 Posts

WTF are you even talking about? In the last 2 years of the GLO only ONE person has been able to shoot the famous -18 ONE time:

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/34230#MPO
https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/39325#MPO

And to my knowledge that has never happened before.

The next closest score I can find to McBeth's 45 is Willie Prince's R3 49 in 2018. Only 4 strokes off of the -18 that "happens all the time." Plus you must watch a completely different sport than I do because that -18 round was thrilling to watch.

You know, you could put a lot of this to rest by 1) Stop talking out your backside 2) Actually design and implement a smaller basket. But based on prior postings you're far too lazy to stop doing either item.

Old 11-21-2020, 10:19 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.7
Courses Played: 433
Niced 2,362 Times in 1,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugular View Post
Just want to clear up the stat we're seeing here, is this only instances where a player is x strokes back from the lead, or 'an other player'? And this is all tournaments over some time period or just DGPT/Majors/NTs/A-Tiers+ ? It starts off reading like it's just any two pairs of players then becomes winning only. Is this recycled from another post and that's why OMD knows about it? Should I read somewhere else where you've laid it all out? Sorry for all the questions.
That "Winning" in the y-axis title is a little strong - winning against the other guy, not the tournament. Just any pair of two players with one player who was that many throws ahead at those points.

From events that held three rounds on the same course and recorded scores in Udisc, PDGA Live, or Metrix. Mostly bigger tournaments, mostly the past few years.

Not from another post. OMD just seems to know things.

Niced: (1)