Old 11-23-2020, 12:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,926 Times in 2,281 Posts

Yes, it's tough tip-toeing around politics. I have to remind myself that the conversation has to be one or the other: Covid-19, or politics. Once it plummets into political screaming, it's over.

It helps me to think that politics doesn't let get the pro-plaguers off the hook; they're responsible for their own conduct.

Thought the temptation.....
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 11-23-2020, 12:58 PM

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 31 Times in 13 Posts

I understand the frustrations with the general populace and their willful ignorance, but I think we need to stop short of wishing death upon people that do not take the virus as seriously as we do. I wear my mask and keep my distance from others, but we are having a small family get-together for Thanksgiving (9 people is small for my family), which I guess is going against what the CDC has recommended. Feel free to lambast me all you want. But I think there are a lot of people that take the virus seriously but who will engage in "risky" behavior once in a while. I don't see everyone as either an anti-masker or a devout follower of the CDC's recommendations. I think there is a lot of gray area in between. Let's not fall into the trap of this us vs. them thinking that is so prevalent these days.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-23-2020, 01:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 96
Niced 2,803 Times in 1,070 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

I don't wish death on them but I'd be OK with the deniers having a very hard time with it themselves.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 13
Niced 170 Times in 78 Posts

I'm not wishing death on anyone. I would just rather their ignorance or selfishness impact them instead of somebody else.

Niced: (3)
Old 11-23-2020, 01:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,926 Times in 2,281 Posts

It's not the folks in the gray areas that bother me.

Old 11-23-2020, 01:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,467 Times in 1,060 Posts

Offered without political comment

Niced: (2)
Old 11-23-2020, 01:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.7
Courses Played: 250
Niced 5,108 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy30 View Post
I understand the frustrations with the general populace and their willful ignorance, but I think we need to stop short of wishing death upon people that do not take the virus as seriously as we do. I wear my mask and keep my distance from others, but we are having a small family get-together for Thanksgiving (9 people is small for my family), which I guess is going against what the CDC has recommended. Feel free to lambast me all you want. But I think there are a lot of people that take the virus seriously but who will engage in "risky" behavior once in a while. I don't see everyone as either an anti-masker or a devout follower of the CDC's recommendations. I think there is a lot of gray area in between. Let's not fall into the trap of this us vs. them thinking that is so prevalent these days.
People will do as they wish. Personally, I could not live with myself, if I killed someone I love. Getting together with my family is the LAST thing I would do. I would have a hard time getting over killing strangers, but my kids, wife, mom, sister..........

Old 11-23-2020, 02:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 187
Niced 1,718 Times in 664 Posts

Quote:
I understand the frustrations with the general populace and their willful ignorance, but I think we need to stop short of wishing death upon people that do not take the virus as seriously as we do.
I don't wish death on anyone. In fact my fondest wish is for far less death and suffering. Especially when so much of the death and suffering is avoidable.

Quote:
I wear my mask and keep my distance from others, but we are having a small family get-together for Thanksgiving (9 people is small for my family), which I guess is going against what the CDC has recommended. Feel free to lambast me all you want.
No lambasting, just suggestions if you decide to go ahead with the family gathering:

1) Outdoors is safer than indoors.
2) Indoors with windows open is safer than indoors with windows closed.
3) Masks are safer than no masks (but tough to eat turkey through a mask, of course).
4) Stay at least 6 feet from those who do not live in your household. More distance is better, especially indoors.
5) Limit indoor time together.
6) Wash hands or use hand sanitizer regularly.
7) Avoid high-touch objects like serving spoons as much as possible.
8) Travel by car should be safer than travel by plane or train.
9) Too late at this point, but test-quarantine-test would have provided an extra measure of safety.
10) Discuss expectations with guests ahead of time.

I have heard of folks who plan to eat the Thanksgiving meal in the garage, door open, with space heaters. Ventilation is good.

I realize these suggestions sound very non-festive. Maybe that's why I'm a safety guy rather than a party planner.

CDC does have some good holiday guidance. Best wishes to you and your family.

CDC: Celebrating Thanksgiving (clicky)

Old 11-23-2020, 02:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 187
Niced 1,718 Times in 664 Posts

For those who are statistically inclined, FiveThirtyEight has a nice article on the risks of Thanksgiving gatherings this year:

Why Even A Small Thanksgiving is Dangerous | FiveThirtyEight

Georgia Tech has developed a risk planning tool that calculates the chances that at least one person with COVID-19 will attend an event of a given size, by county. For example, this tool calculates a 36% to 60% chance that someone will have COVID-19 at a 10-person event in Boone County, MO.

Wow.

COVID-19 Event Risk Assessment Planning Tool | Georgia Tech

I'm not just picking on MO - the risk in my home county is 13% to 24%, which seems unacceptably high to me.

FWIW, our family has decided against a Thanksgiving get-together this year. We will probably do a Zoom call instead. Fortunately my brother is a disc golfer and we were able to play this weekend. As we were leaving we said, "This will have to count as Thanksgiving this year."

Old 11-23-2020, 03:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 90
Niced 1,036 Times in 379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
If, at this time a year ago, someone predicted a headline like "National Guard called out to assist with morgue crisis", I would have imagined a nuclear explosion or asteroid or something, and not just a stupidity epidemic.
50 million Americans are traveling for Thanksgiving. Should be fine.