Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 11-22-2020, 10:50 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 323 Times in 187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
Though I agree those are some of the more glidey overstable drivers, even a "5" on the not-universal flight scale chart doesn't exist as far as overstable goes. Forget for a minute OP isn't talking about drivers...what truly overstable disc from any company, putter through wide rimmer, has real glide?

Not coming at you kevdiv, just a rhetorical question to everyone on this site. Overstable+glide=non existent...for a reason. TW mentioned that above already.

FWIW I bag and love the Xcal personally.
Good conversation. There are lots of high glide discs that are stable-understable. There are lots of discs that are meathook stable with little glide. In this thread I wanted to talk about the best balance between glide and overstability. For my 400’ ish arm, the Defender is overstable and has tremendous glide. Same for one of the D2s I have.

What’s your glide like on the Xcal?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2020, 10:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 925 Times in 560 Posts

In my mind it's whatever you throw in the Getaway/Thunderbird/PD/Fortress slot. Just look for one with some extra dome and you'll have a long, glidey flyer that is also reliably overstable as long as you don't torque it. Not Firebird level overstable, but overstable enough for most conditions while also chewing up distance.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:10 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 323 Times in 187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
In my mind it's whatever you throw in the Getaway/Thunderbird/PD/Fortress slot. Just look for one with some extra dome and you'll have a long, glidey flyer that is also reliably overstable as long as you don't torque it. Not Firebird level overstable, but overstable enough for most conditions while also chewing up distance.
Getaway is a nice disc. I throw one, but bought the air plastic for lightweight 154g so I use it with my puny sidearm only when necessary. Basically I sidearm three discs. A Harp for most up shots, a 150g Teebird when the Harp won’t reach, and the Getaway is a last resort to try to get some distance when I can’t do a turnover backhand.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-23-2020, 12:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 43
Niced 925 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
Getaway is a nice disc. I throw one, but bought the air plastic for lightweight 154g so I use it with my puny sidearm only when necessary. Basically I sidearm three discs. A Harp for most up shots, a 150g Teebird when the Harp won’t reach, and the Getaway is a last resort to try to get some distance when I can’t do a turnover backhand.
Yeah, that is my preference among those four carbon copy molds, too. Discmania's discontinuation of the P-PD set them back a step, since the Getaway is readily available in less overstable plastics (Biofuzion and Air) in addition to the more traditional plastic options.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:43 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I haven't thrown as many molds as others, but I'm consistently surprised at how much distance I get from my max C-PD2. It's absolutely overstable, but the amount of glide I get before it touches the ground is always more than I expect.

Old 11-23-2020, 06:38 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 42
Niced 1,343 Times in 666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
Good conversation. There are lots of high glide discs that are stable-understable. There are lots of discs that are meathook stable with little glide. In this thread I wanted to talk about the best balance between glide and overstability. For my 400’ ish arm, the Defender is overstable and has tremendous glide. Same for one of the D2s I have.

What’s your glide like on the Xcal?
12/5/0/4 says Innova.

I bag two, have only thrown my backups a handful of times so I'll ignore those. My beat 5-6ish/10 XG isn't truly flat but it's not domey either...it has HST at my power yet still holds onto some fade (more Eagle than Teebird). I do love throwing it on turnovers that either hold or have a late fade since I play in the woods 99% of the time. If I need the "normal" overstable driver flight I hyzerflip it, let it pop to flat, then wait for the fade like any overstable driver would. If anyone maxes out at 350' then it would certainly act more overstable than my description. Reminds me of a beat Banshee just longer.

12/4 or 5/-1/2 or 3 maybe?

My 8-9/10 is pearly, FAF, and straight beef. 12/3/0/4 or 5 I'd say? Sure I can torque it over but it'll always fight out, seldom do I ever use this mold for that specific flight. I'm a former Banshee whore, and at full power this Xcal reminds me of a faster more overstable freshy. I can throw full power and flat without the disc fading directly out of my hand...hard bite at the end with great skip control if I want it to. Thrown with any amount of hyzer it may ride straight for a bit but inevitably will fade hard. Love this disc for skip shots, slow panning OH, slow and drastic FH flex shots, controlled FH rollers (not distance...can't do those FH), basically any typical utility shots.

I also carry two Firebirds, a crazy overstable Cannon, a beefy Thunderbird, and a pair of Drones in my big bag. No, I don't think I've ever thrown all of them in one round before, they're all more "if today or this particular shot calls for said disc" otherwise I'm a Comet, Pro Thunderbird/Valk/Roadrunner, Clutch man. In my smaller bag the overstable Thunderbird is typically my most overstable disc, maybe a Wasp/Ghost/Roc (recently getting into beaded overstable mids, my favorite mold the Drone is temporarily benched). Berg isn't overstable like everything I've already mentioned, mostly resistant to HST, but they're always in whichever bag I bring. Being BH dominant and playing in the woods I don't rely on overstable discs as much as many users on here mention they do.

*Side note, I love to forehand the Roadrunner and Comet. More people need to FH understable discs.*

I throw what I believe is still referred to as Swedish Style, so my elbow and hand are lower than many others...more high thighs or waist as opposed to across your pecks. Makes the natural hyzer release feel much more comfortable for me. Hence all the love for hyzerflipping everything.

I rushed to write this, feel free to ask more specific questions if you want. Just realized I didn't really compare glide much at all, sorry